GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,608 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Assembly concerns & questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hafley
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!! I have been playing dungeon crawls for around 20 years (ever since I received HeroQuest as a gift, purchased from WalMart). They are my favorite genre (both board & video game), I love minis as they add so much to the game & have just recently begun painting.

However, I have avoided games which require assembly as I have concerns of durability (minis coming apart) and little knowledge on the process. I have seen mentioned the act of pinning appendages and such.

How durable are minis that are only glued together vs pinned/glued? What are the best/strongest glues for HIPS plastic?

Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The HIPS plastic when using a model glue is very strong. The glue melts the plastic together so the bond isn't going to break unless you throw them around or are super rough with them.

My brand is Testors and with the nose applicator has good control. You can find it on Amazon or most any store that sells models. Michaels Art Supply sells it. Make sure to have good ventilation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hafley
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! I have heard that the glues which melt & fuse the plastic together actually create a weaker hold as the newly created seam is more fragile than super glue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegith wrote:
Thanks for the response! I have heard that the glues which melt & fuse the plastic together actually create a weaker hold as the newly created seam is more fragile than super glue?

That's not true in my experience. If you drop a super-glued model, it is most likely to break into the original parts (ie the glued part is the weakest). With plastic glue that fuses the two together, if you drop a model glued in this way it is most likely to either not break or break along a completely new line (ie the original model itself is weaker than the fused bond).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

Most of the models don't have very small glue joints (though the human model's feet to the base are quite small). Once glued and dry, they seem very robust to me. But I've not dropped any and currently painting them so I'm more careful then I normally would be.

HIPS is a bit more fragile then PVC since its hard plastic instead of bendy. So they will be less robust. If you frequently drop them on hard floors or have children playing with them then you probably are going to get some broken. The big boss guys are heavy enough that a drop from a table to the hard floor will probably break a wing or tentacle off no matter what glue you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gorilla super glue has worked great with my SOB minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegith wrote:

This is the exact opposite of the truth.

Bonding plastic cement will create a vastly superior hold to super glue when dealing with plastic models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.