GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,504 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Rum & Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Brainstorming: Simultaneous Crew Activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Strong
msg tools
mbmbmb
In a classic MOBA, the struggle between minions happens simultaneously as the minions push evenly from both sides.

Could this be translated to Rum & Bones?

What if both crews activated simultaneously at the beginning of the round, and their attacks happened simultaneously as well, just like a traditional MOBA? Just brainstorming here so feel free to chime in with ideas, but maybe the activation would start from the first player's right lane and move to the left? Both players would move their crew in that lane, then if the crews clash, both players roll their attack dice at the same time for each lane. (as per Second Tide rules: crew movement happens first, then attacks)

I have not tested this yet, but this would potentially make the game feel much more fluid, as even with the new Second Tide rules, the current crew movement seems a bit clunky for a MOBA. It would also help alleviate any advantage that one side might have with the current system when their crew gets to move and attack first. Now they both get to attack evenly, as in classic MOBA fashion.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Brainstorming: Simultaneous Crew Movement
I think realistically everyone is going to move to the new Second Tide ruleset, since that is about to arrive at people's doorsteps and all the early buzz is that it improves the game substantially.

While the new rules make the turns more interactive by alternating activations, they also make the crew activation a turn in lieu of activating a hero. This would seem to move the game further away from what you are describing since the crew can activate in wildly different parts of the turn (i.e., early vs late in the sequence).

I'm not sure it addresses your goal of making it play more like a true MOBA, but I would go ahead and try the new rules first rather than designing variants for the older rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Strong
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Brainstorming: Simultaneous Crew Movement
I have indeed tried the new Second Tide rules, and my proposal actually makes more sense with Second Tide since there are no longer two spectate player turns, but a "round". (Sorry, maybe I should've posted this in the Second Tide forum, but figured I'd post here since most people don't have Second Tide yet).

So for Second Tide, simultaneous crew activation would happen first at the beginning of the round, then the alternating hero activations. It seems like it could make for a nice, flowing MOBA playstyle in theory (need to test, and if anyone elese is willing to test, please do).

This would also help to clearly mark the start of a "round" with the new Second Tide Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Strong
msg tools
mbmbmb
Did some testing with it tonight. Worked nicely and also made the game play faster as well, which was good. So far I like it, but will test more. It definitely makes for a nice flow, and feels even more like a MOBA. It's nice for something different at least, so give it a try if you're looking to switch things up a bit, and post any ideas you might have for this potential variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I think realistically everyone is going to move to the new Second Tide ruleset, since that is about to arrive at people's doorsteps and all the early buzz is that it improves the game substantially.

While the new rules make the turns more interactive by alternating activations, they also make the crew activation a turn in lieu of activating a hero. This would seem to move the game further away from what you are describing since the crew can activate in wildly different parts of the turn (i.e., early vs late in the sequence).

I'm not sure it addresses your goal of making it play more like a true MOBA, but I would go ahead and try the new rules first rather than designing variants for the older rules.

This. Just received Second Tide and I am very excited about the changes to gameplay...very dynamic now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Strong
msg tools
mbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

This. Just received Second Tide and I am very excited about the changes to gameplay...very dynamic now.

Well, as I said in my replies to that post...this variation works great with Second Tide (even better actually), and now that I've been using it for a few games I don't think I'll ever go back to normal crew activation. I really like the flow of the two crews moving evenly and it feels like the "minion" push you see in a PC MOBA. It also speeds the game up even more, which is nice.

BTW, thanks for bumping the thread as it reminds me that I need to type up an actual variant thread as I've refined it a bit after a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.