GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games like Patchwork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panzer Azel
United States
flag msg tools
Hi, I got my son (age 6) Patchwork for Christmas and he's totally in love with it. His birthday is next month and he has asked for another game like Patchwork and also a game like Jaipur (his old favorite). He also really loves Castle Panic. Other games he likes a lot include: Lanterns, Kodama, Pagoda, and Quiddler. It's just the 2 of us most of the time, so games that are 2 player only or that play really well 2 player are important. I think that what he loves so much about Patchwork is placing the tiles on the board, so anything with a mechanic like that would also be preferred. Any suggestions? And if possible I'd like to stick with stuff that is currently available and under 50 bucks. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider these . . .

Kahuna (recently republished)

Ingenious: Travel Edition

IOTA (the square cards are essentially tiles laid in rows and scored like Scrabble. Also teaches pattern recognition)

Fjords (may be out of print)

Hive

Mr. Jack Pocket

Carcassonne (classic gateway tile laying game that comes in many versions)

Between Two Cities (simple tile laying for 1-7 players)

Age of War (a press-your-luck dice-rolling conquest game)

Ticket to Ride (can be played by 2, but better with 3+ players)

Alhambra

Samurai or Samurai: The Card Game

Prosperity

Blokus Duo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christine wavle
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Carcassonne Castle
Karuba
Alhambra
All of these games use tiles. I play many of the same games as you do and I love all 3 of these. Happy searching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is THE tile laying game. I also like the looks of (but haven't played) Capital and Quadropolis.

The same designer of Patchwork created another similar game called Cottage Gardens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer Azel
United States
flag msg tools
OK, looks like I'll be getting Carcassonne! I've always been a little intimidated by the number of expansions and overall cost. Plus I have played the game in the past and am worried I will have a hard time with scoring the farmer's at the end. Also, thanks for dangling Cottage Gardens (which looks perfect) in front of me... Amazon Doesn't even have a listing for it! I'll keep an eye out for a reprint, but it's not happening this B-day! So many good suggestions otherwise. I've looked at them all and have some decisions to make! We already have some of the games mentioned like Hive and Blokus, but by far most of the suggestions were games I haven't ever heard of, which is great! Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nia
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cottage Garden!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan S
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New York 1901
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
PanzerAzelSaturn wrote:
OK, looks like I'll be getting Carcassonne! I've always been a little intimidated by the number of expansions and overall cost. Plus I have played the game in the past and am worried I will have a hard time with scoring the farmer's at the end.

You don't have get any of the expansions right away. I'd go with just the base game and if it turns out it is a hit AND you want more, you can get them later.
I've also played the game without scoring farmers when I introduced it to casual gamers/people who tend to get overwhelmed if there are "too many" rules. Takes away one of the most interesting aspects, but I still found it an enjoyable experience.

From the games suggested earlier, I'd probably stay away from Kahuna. Maybe your 6-year-old can handle it better than I, but I found the chain reactions that can lead to losing not just one but several islands rather frustrating.

Carcassonne: Star Wars might appeal to your son, if he is into that franchise. I haven't played it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Santa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrotiri

Sanssouci

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerAzelSaturn wrote:
I think that what he loves so much about Patchwork is placing the tiles on the board, so anything with a mechanic like that would also be preferred.

If it's specifically about fitting several polyomino pieces tightly together on one's own board, then perhaps Ubongo: Duel?

If it's more generally about placing polyomino tiles (not necessarily on one's own board), then perhaps Blokus Duo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino could also work. It's a simple tile drafting and laying game with colorful artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerAzelSaturn wrote:
OK, looks like I'll be getting Carcassonne! I've always been a little intimidated by the number of expansions and overall cost. Plus I have played the game in the past and am worried I will have a hard time with scoring the farmer's at the end. Also, thanks for dangling Cottage Gardens (which looks perfect) in front of me... Amazon Doesn't even have a listing for it! I'll keep an eye out for a reprint, but it's not happening this B-day! So many good suggestions otherwise. I've looked at them all and have some decisions to make! We already have some of the games mentioned like Hive and Blokus, but by far most of the suggestions were games I haven't ever heard of, which is great! Thanks all

My six year old has been able to play Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale since five. It is almost the same as standard carcassonne but the few changes mean it is far more attractive and intuitive to younger ones. She has no problem scoring the barns (rather than farmers) plus it's so much more sunnier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also love The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet which is a great 15 min game and adults love it too and she likes karuba too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugo Cimone
msg tools
mb

The first game similar to patchwork that came to my mind is A Feast for Odin, it is by the same author Uwe Rosenberg, but maybe is a bit too complex for a 7 year old kid.

PanzerAzelSaturn wrote:
Hi, I got my son (age 6) Patchwork for Christmas and he's totally in love with it. His birthday is next month and he has asked for another game like Patchwork and also a game like Jaipur (his old favorite). He also really loves Castle Panic. Other games he likes a lot include: Lanterns, Kodama, Pagoda, and Quiddler. It's just the 2 of us most of the time, so games that are 2 player only or that play really well 2 player are important. I think that what he loves so much about Patchwork is placing the tiles on the board, so anything with a mechanic like that would also be preferred. Any suggestions? And if possible I'd like to stick with stuff that is currently available and under 50 bucks. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ust had a few more thoughts lol - personally I think sanssouci is too much to think about for a six year old but I was going to try my little one on Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King as more straightforward. This one might work better.

Also just remembered that one of her other favourite games is The Downfall of Pompeii and she loves the volcano tile laying section which is in the second half of the game. It's a little mean though but we like this but others may not but really fun game

A slightly alternative game which involves building something and kind of similar is my daughter's current favourite game which is Steam Park. You still have the spacial puzzle but you are using 3d fairground rides instead.

Also Galaxy Trucker might work soon enough where you are using tiles to build a spaceship, fun game - my daughter has expressed a want to try it soon and I've heard others mention they've had success with this with kids similar age?

For an alternative card based game, maybe Port Royal would work. It's a really fun game and I don't really see a problem with this if he can already play jaipur. If not, maybe Odin's Ravens (Second Edition)? haven't tried either of these with my six year old yet but she wants to play port royal so was going to try soon. Another option that feels siilar to jaipur might be Morels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Builders: Middle Ages, kind of a more visual Splendor with a fun theme and cute art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Quilt Show is one the comes to mind. It is not really a tile laying but more of a pattern matching game. There is also though a purchasing system similar to Ticket to Ride so if you have played that it'll be easy to pick up, or vice versa.

Other similar tile/color matching games I can think of are Marrakesh and Maharani. The former might be harder to find, I haven't looked recently. In that you are rug merchant trying to layout the rugs (actually cloth swatches) to get the largest contiguous batch of color to score points. The former is similar but has a rondel that constantly changes so instead of a single color (as in the rugs) you are trying to find the best color match for your particular turn.

Just some more non-mainstream/lesser known games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cottage Garden

This one would be perfect. It's got even more focus on the tile placement than Patchwork does, and it plays great with 2, too. Just checked, it's available at 401 Games if you want it!

+1 Carcassonne, too.

This is one he'll be able to grow with as he gets older. The basic placement rules are simple -- he'll definitely be able to grasp it if he can follow those other games -- and once you start understanding the game, a lot more depth there to explore, especially with the first two expansions.

Morels
A step up in complexity from Jaipur. More rules to remember, but more strategy involved, too.

Also, if you haven't heard, I think the expansion for Lanterns just came out! Lanterns: The Emperor's Gifts.

He sounds like a terrific kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonya ~
United States
California
flag msg tools
Indigo -- an abstract game. There is something very satisfying about laying down a tile and watching a gemstone then twist and turn along the path made by many other tiles. Indigo can be a nicely competitive -- but not combative -- two player game (and can be played by up to 4 players)

Tally Ho! -- possibly our favorite two player game from my kids' elementary school years. The tiles are laid out randomly, but you get to choose which one to flip upright each turn. The theme is quite fun. One player controls the foxes and the bears while the other player controls the hunters and the lumberjacks. The rules do not require you to make om-nom-nom noises when your bear eats your opponent's lumberjack or hunter, but I highly recommend doing so.

Labyrinth -- on each turn, you get to push a row of tiles to change the fragmented maze and help your piece move closer to the treasure it is trying to reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer Azel
United States
flag msg tools
Wow, you guys have been great. So many choices! I'm going to have a hard time narrowing down all of these great games.

The little guy uses adult level strategy just fine, but I worry about games that have too much to keep track of at once. I definitely have had my eye on Galaxy Trucker for instance, but it looks to have a lot going on! And of course there is the issue of appropriate content. Can anyone tell me if Mr. Jack has any actual stuff about murder or any graphic materials at all? It seems like a really fun idea and I am leaning towards it other than the theme potentially being upsetting for the kid.

I'll probably end up getting 4 games total, Carcassonne, Mr. Jack if it's theme is subtle, one of the many games mentioned with spacial tile placement (if that makes sense), and one of the games with mechanics like Jaipur. I'll save one for Valentine's day and maybe one for report card day. There's just too many good games out there and so little money and storage space! DS only asked for the 2 board games and 5 books for his birthday, so I don't want to disappoint him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I wish my daughter was as easy as that, she either says she wants a surprise, or "santa will know what I want" or she asks for something that doesn't exist such as "a scooter I dreamt of which bounces me up and down as I ride" and the last one, she casually requested a doll that looks exactly like me you know just in case I die so she has something to remember me by and cuddle!!!! lol If you tell her these things don't exist, she says "no worries, I'll put it on my santa list as he's magic"

There's nothing much to worry about in Mr jack pocket (don't know about the pocketless one) it's more abstract.

I think with galaxy trucker, it might completely depend on how much he gets into it. There's a bit of learning what the parts are but you don't have to do the timed bit, you can just let him build it how he wants and take his time and you don't have to do all three rounds. Then you just set off and sit back while things happen to your ship lol - nothing you can't help him with. the only reason I haven't tried with mine yet, is i'm not sure how much she'll get into it lol but she's only just turned six so was just waiting a little longer although she does lego that's more complicated! Me and mum love it though and there's nothing much wrong with the content either, a few space pirates and meteors and a couple of cute aliens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to Mr. Jack either, but Mr. Jack Pocket is, like Sarah says, very abstract and the theme hardly comes through. The art is quite friendly -- just London city streets and colourful character art, and when explaining the rules you could just say he's a bad guy and leave out the murdering entirely! Some of the tokens have a knife on them (you can look up an image, it's pretty innocuous).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I had another thought. If he's playing at adult level, I might also recommend Traders of Osaka as a step up from Jaipur. It's more of a step up than Morels. Similar small box card game with a market and set collecting, not a lot harder to learn, but the decisions are tougher. It also a board with little ship meeples: you can cause the ships to sink, at which point other players lose their goods, which is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.