GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,641 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Balance of Powers» Forums » General

Subject: Crisis of July rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
If I follow the CoJ correctly, the CP can always choose to keep Britain out of the war indefinitely and gain an advantage on the war guilt roll. Nothing the EP can do to prevent this.

Also, why would the CP not take a Powder Keg option? It shortens the war by 9 months, and keeps both Britain and Serbia out of the war, although Britain may enter late.

The only downside is the increase in the Russian economy but that seems a great trade off considering the benefits.

So what am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bob

It's been a while since I took a hard look at this. But, as I recall to keep Britain out of the game the CP has to forsake an advantageous opening and adhere to some limits on its conduct as the war progresses. That is, even though the Germans can back out of the Schlieffen plan in 1914, they still have the Schlieffen plan set up constraints which put a mass of good material near the Belgian border where, for lack of the Schlieffen plan, they are useless on turn 1. So they throw away a good opening blow to back out of Schleiffen. As the war progresses, if too many German units get near Paris or too much German navy sets to sea then the British enter. So, it's not as easy as just keeping Britain out - that comes at a price.

Thanks
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
John,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just finding it hard to visualize how the PKT and keeping Britain, Serbia, and the US out plus shortening the game by 9 months can be anything other than a good thing for the CP. The EP are going to have a tough go to get to 12 BC. They start with 9 between France and Russia and will probably get 1 more from Italy.

I'll have to play it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.