GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not had much time over the last year to get any design work done.
Relocated back to Germany in december 2015, then started work again as a physician in training to become a psychiatrist in early 2016. Also still been trying to complete my dissertation (arrghhh!!!). Moved again. Invited 2 cats to come and live with me (they seem to have accepted my invitation and are still hanging around here).

So, i thought, why not have a single ongoing thread running to keep track of some of the projects i'm still working on or might be revisiting at some point.

I'll occasionally be posting stuff here (should make it easier to keep track of the stuff in a single thread... maybe?) and anybody who wants to give feedback or discuss ideas is welcome to do so.

Here is a geeklist of projects i've been working on over the last couple of years. Some original work, some reskins.

The Badger's Workshop, rethemes, reskins and orginal game designs by Dennis Bennett

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dennis Bennett, a.k.a. dennisthebadger: ongoing current projects thread
placeholder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a game i've been revisiting (because i thought it would be the most likely for me to be able to complete) is Knizia's Vampire, a fairly simple set collection/rummy style game. It was supposed to be rereleased as Invasion of the Garden Gnomes, rethemed with some extra rules to make it a bit more spicey.
I actually only just found about the rerelease (that hasn't atcually happened yet) a couple of days ago and it got me quite excited because it seems to be using a couple of ideas very similar to what i had in mind for my own game based on the general ideas of the orginal by Knizia.

Anyway: the theme is a minimalist/cute Hansel&Gretel Monster Hunter thingy with loads of cute monsters in the woods you need to collect.

Currently working on finalising the illustrations but not really quite sure yet which ideas i want to include for a first print as i haven't been able to playtest any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

current state of the illustrations for "Hänsel&Gretel - Monster Hunters".

I addition to the basic rules of Knizia's "Vampire" (draw 2 cards, play 1, keep the other, or: take cards from a location and use them to make a meld), i thought it would be fun (and thematic?) to add another suit of "jokers", the fairies! You can use them to halp make melds in any suit, but at the end of the game th eplayer who used the most of them loses the game (or something like that... i've had a couple of ideas of how they could work and need to playtest them).
Then the villagers: give some advantage when played and would help steer the game towards an end (something like "when the 6th villager is played the game ends") and keep players on their toes for not knowing exactly when the game might end (keep the pressure up a bit).
The special illustrations for the cards with 3 points are just a nice little touch (any ideas for special characters for the witch/vampir/imp suit?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I like this clear and simplistic look of the cards. Reminds me to old 8-bit games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I like this clear and simplistic look of the cards. Reminds me to old 8-bit games.

thanks. Yes, that is the kind of look i'm going for. Simple shapes and bold colours. I'm having difficulties though deciding on the final colours. I'd like to use a colourpalette that looks good as a whole but allows for easy telling appart of the different suits.
I'm also still clueless regarding the exact number of cards and variants i'll need since i still haven't done any playtesting (and will hardly have any time to...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for "Monster Hunter", my take on Knizia's "Vampire"
(not final)

OVERVIEW
Monsters are loose and the villagers are in despair. Can you help them find their way home and out of the creepy woods? Are you equipped to hunt down any monsters you may encounter?

CONTENTS
♦ 96 monster cards of 6 differet types:
21 Ghouls (1x3 heads, 20x1 head)
19 Skellingtons (1x3 heads, 1x2 heads, 17x1 head)
17 Boos (1x3 heads, 2x2 heads, 14x1 head)
15 Imps (1x3 heads, 3x2 heads, 11x1 head)
13 Witches (1x3 heads, 4x2 heads, 8x1 head)
11 Vampires (1x3 heads, 5x2 heads, 5x1 head)
♦ 16 Fairies (1x3 heads, 15x1 head)
♦ 10 Hänsel & Gretel cards (5 Hänsel, 5 Gretel)
♦ 7 Place cards (1 for each Monster and 1 for the Fairies)
♦ 7 Villager cards
136 cards in total

SETUP
♦ Place the location cards next to each other in a row in the middle of the table.
♦ Place one corresponsing Monster or Fairy card, each showing just a single head, below each of the location cards.
♦ Shuffle the remaining Monsters, Fairies, Villagers and Hänsel and Gretel toegther into a single deck and deal 4 to each player face down.
The remaining cards will be the draw deck. place it next to the row of locations face down.

GAMEPLAY
Players take turns in clockwise order, starting with the player who last killed a monster.

On their turn, players have two options:
1. they may draw two cards from the draw deck and add them to their hand.
2. they may take all cards from one of the 7 locations.

1: If a player chose to draw 2 cards from the draw deck, they must then either:

1a: play 1 card from their hand to a corresponding location face up (i.e. Skellingtons are always played to the graveyard, Vampires are always played to the crypt).
Hänsel&Gretel, Fairies and villagers may be played to ANY LOCATION!
All cards on a location should be visible to all players at all times (place them in a way that allows for this, i.e. let them overlap).

1b: go on a MONSTER HUNT!

2. If a player chose to take the cards of a location they must take all cards in that location (all Monsters, Fairies, villagers or Hänsel&Gretel cards in that pile). They may only pick up cards from a single location.
Then they MUST go on a MONSTER HUNT!

GOING ON A MONSTER HUNT
When a player goes on a MONSTER HUNT, they must play a set (and only one set!) of at least 3 cards in front of themselves face up on the table.
All Monsters in the set must be of the same type (there may only be a single type of Monster present in the set).
There may be any number of Faires or Villagers in the set.
There may be no more than one Gretel and Hänsel card in a set (you may have both Hänsel AND Gretel in a single set though!).
You may only play sets of Monsters of which you don't already own a set. If you do already own a set of that type of monster you must discard your previous set.

Reminder: You may only go on a single MONSTER HUNT per turn and each MONSTER HUNT sonsists of playing only 1 set!

Depending on the type of set created in the MONSTER HUNT, players may then perform the corresponding action:

Ghouls: Add a card from your hand to any set you already own
Skellingtons:
Boos: draw an extra 2 cards, then discard 1 card.
Imps: choose a card from any set already on the table (it may belong to ANY player) and move that card to another set.
Witches: discard any number of cards from your hand and draw that many cards.
Vampires: look at another players hand and choose 1 card to steal from them.
Fairies: Discard the set of Fairies you created and draw cards equal to the number of Fairies in the set discarded +1.

A players turn ends after taking the action granted by the MONSTER HUNT.

END OF GAME
The game can end in a couple of different ways. It ends when
♦ there are no more cards to draw from the draw deck.
♦ a player has a set of each of the 6 different types of Monsters.
♦ the last villager is discarded.

SCORING:
cards remaining in player's hands don't score points. Only sets from MONSTER HUNTS in front of them face up on the table score points.

Then players compare their sets.
Of each type of Monster, the player with the fewest cards in their set discards that set, it doesn't score. Players tied for fewest cards all discard their set.

Then players compare who has captured the most fairies. The player with the most fairy heads added up over all of their sets is eliminated from the game.

Then players score points equal to the number of heads heads on their remaining cards (adding up all monsters, Villagers, Fairies and Hänsel&Gretelcards).

The player with the most points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been working on some details and the colour palette.
Still not had any chance to playtest... not sure when i will have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize you have little time for playtesting right now, but once you've done some and start looking for other input, I'll be glad to give this a try. I really like your approach to card art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captkiddeo wrote:
I realize you have little time for playtesting right now, but once you've done some and start looking for other input, I'll be glad to give this a try. I really like your approach to card art!

thanks!

Theoretically you can start playtesting rigth away with the orginal game by Rainer Knizia: Vampire, which you should be able to mock up with any set of cards that has 16 cards in 6 suits üplus another suit of 10 cards (yeah, there probably aren't that many out there).

My main questions really are:

how does a set work that scores for you but has a downside (i.e. the fairies that would act as jokers but whoever used the most loses the game)?

which special abilities feel worthwhile/under- or overpowered and how do they change the flow of the game (add an incentive to create small melds).

Does a change in the distribution of cards (some suits having more than others) change the game much?

Or basically any other ideas you have for changing anything of the basic frame that Knizia's vampire provides.

cheers!

edit:
some games or card systems should allow you to play around with variants of the original Vampire rules, i.e. my The Badger Deck
otherwise 2 basic decks of cards from the $-store and a sharpie should do the trick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
managed to (more or less) get my DIY version of Tak+Santorini done yesterday.

The idea was to be able to play both game swith a single set. All Santorini needs is a couple of roof pieces and having bricks in 2 different colours doesn't really hurt it.
I've got a selection of different roof pieces, haven't quite made my mind up yet and i'll need a more permanent board (currently just thin cardboard) and a box to put everything in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit more doodling around with my card version of Ra. Not sure where this is going. I was trying to limit myself to a very minimalist colour palette, but i'm not sure it's working. I think the civilisation cards might need some changes... oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drought?
Pharoh?

The only Civ one I'd do anything to is the Scripture one.

I wish I was as creative as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beanieboy007 wrote:
Drought?
Pharoh?

The only Civ one I'd do anything to is the Scripture one.

I wish I was as creative as you.

Thanks!
Yeah, "scripture" is represented by the papyrus plant, which might not be obvious enough... i didn't want to use anything that would require hieroglyphics as i felt hieroglyphics would probably look too detailed or just "off"... not sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a couple of scrolls. Or something that resembles a Torah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use a different Egyptian script, like Demotic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demotic_(Egyptian)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tavener
United Kingdom
Waterlooville
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
665 The neighbour of the beast
mbmbmbmbmb
Or papyrus font
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_(typeface)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrslartyb wrote:

NO.

Don't.

That is one of the most overused fonts... in graphic design we are told NOT to use that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might just replace "scripture" (which i think wa sused in the original game) with something like "science" or "technology" or something like that and use some abstract geometric shapes to illustrate it... something thta could resemble construction plans for a pyramid or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly about the hieroglyphs bothers you? After all, hieroglyphs are seen inside the cartouches which are on the other card next to Agriculture. (That said, I understood the papyrus reference.)

Also, I'm not sure what time period the game is set in. This matters because for the first 3000 years, it was just hieroglyphs and hieratic, Demotic didn't come around until ~600 BCE. If the game is based earlier, Demotic wouldn't make sense - though hieratic is a possibility.

However, if you wanted to change Scripture to something else, using blueprints for a pyramid would also work, since Thoth and Sheshat were deities known for architecture as well as knowledge, math, and writing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
I might just replace "scripture" (which i think wa sused in the original game) with something like "science" or "technology" or something like that and use some abstract geometric shapes to illustrate it... something thta could resemble construction plans for a pyramid or something like that.

That sounds like a great alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good news and bad news... happy and sad...
just checked my account on drivethrugames.com and saw that the badger deck has sold more than a hundred copies so far! yay! (135 actually, to be exact...). I thought that was pretty cool, wanted to post the "news" here, only to realise it was almost exactly a year ago that i tried getting some finishing touches done to some old projects... but never actually finalised them.... f**k!!! my regular day job is really killing me and not leaving much time for any design stuff. hardly even played any games this year...

oh well, let's hope 2018 will be a bit kinder to me game and design wise...
update with some details changed/added to the "vampire" Knizia reskin/reimplementation:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the most recent buyers of the Badger Deck and I love it! Thank you! (Now to try out Vampire...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to drop in and say that I love all of your work. Awesome aesthetic design. I've been dabbling on and off with the Badger Deck. Actually working on a game based on Amber (Zelazny fantasy series) that uses the Badger deck for the card system.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Just wanted to drop in and say that I love all of your work. Awesome aesthetic design. I've been dabbling on and off with the Badger Deck. Actually working on a game based on Amber (Zelazny fantasy series) that uses the Badger deck for the card system.

Cheers!

Thank you so much!
I currently don't really have much (any?) time for design work or even board games (mhmm... when was the last time i played a board game? early 2017?)... i only log on here occasionally now, but thanks so much for the kidn words! very encouraging!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.