GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,283 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

7 Wonders Duel» Forums » General

Subject: Love the game but is it possible they could print a version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With cards the same size as normal 7 Wonders? I can handle the small cards but know a couple have trouble seeing the requirements etc.. I think the symbol method for upgrading buildings is better than the named way 7 Wonders handles auto builds.

Again love the game but would love to see them print a bigger version with a bigger pyramid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess that will not happen, especially because many people see the small box as a huge advantage of the game (for traveling, etc...) :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you could hope for is that it's so successful that they'll eventually print a deluxe edition that would probably include the expansion, both metal tones and the metal coins and that would end up costing around $80 to $100.

Or possibly that they'll print just the cards as an add-on pack. I imagine this would be possible because the already have the files, so they'd only need to refit them and have them printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
Or possibly that they'll print just the cards as an add-on pack. I imagine this would be possible because the already have the files, so they'd only need to refit them and have them printed.

Highly unlikely. The cards are the bulk of the game, so if they offer larger cards for a reduced rate, people would buy that and just use things like tokens for the rest. There are almost certainly not enough people willing to buy an add on that would justify the cost in production and lost revenues from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Highly unlikely. The cards are the bulk of the game, so if they offer larger cards for a reduced rate, people would buy that and just use things like tokens for the rest. There are almost certainly not enough people willing to buy an add on that would justify the cost in production and lost revenues from the base game.

I thought about that as well, but I don't think anyone would do that. You are still missing too much of the game to have a satisfactory experience.

I never said anything about a reduced price.

They sell the game for around €20. If they sold the cards for around €10-15 I don't think they would lose any revenue from the base game.

It would be an upgrade just like the metal tokens for €7 (which are notoriously out of stock) and the metal coins for €19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
goldeneyeonline wrote:
I'd guess that will not happen, especially because many people see the small box as a huge advantage of the game (for traveling, etc...) :-(

(A big advantage for storage as well.)

And the smaller table space required is very pleasing too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
goldeneyeonline wrote:

Great point, Russ, especially with the extra space required to add the Pantheon expansion.

We like the cards in their current size because we can play the game at our local coffee shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game size has a direct connection to price. If this game were on larger cards, it would be in a larger box which would warrant a higher price. People will look at the box and say "I'd buy a two player game for $25, but not $35" (making up numbers here). Suddenly sales fall off and you don't have a hit, you have a dud. Not to mention this creates a component overlap with regular 7 Wonders and could cause people to think it's an expansion to it.

The fact is, it's already been printed at the this size. If they printed it again, at a larger size, then it leads to confusion on behalf of the customer. This will cost the company money as people either get confused and walk away or buy it with a false expectation and become unhappy when they realize what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game but the small cards are my biggest complaint. Shuffling them feels like making a tiny peanut butter sandwich.

And I wish they were a higher quality thickness/linen. I've scratched a few with my fingers on the edges because of trying to shuffle them tiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride introduced the normal size cards as time went by. There is always hope

I would absolutely love normal sized cards even if it was packaged as an expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the country, the size of the card can be a big factor for other things.

As I recall, when Wings of War first came out, folks commented on the small size of the cards (back before there were miniatures for it) and the explanation was that, under Italian/EU law, those smaller sized cards (same size as 7WD) were "toys" and taxed at a very low rate, but larger cards would have come in under "gaming devices" or something like that and had to pay a much higher tax.

We learned to appreciate the small size for maneuvering on a gaming table and "miss" that sometimes with the bigger miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good discussion - just a thought we had. I can't imagine it being that much of a difference in price from a regular copy of 7 wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary I'm glad they did not use the 7 wonders size but instead used the size they did. Firstly, 7 wonders requires custom sleeves, so that's a huge minus. And also the small footprint is wonderful. And seriously all the information needed for the cards fits nicely into the top and side, the rest of the card is just artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nichols

Cedar Hills
Utah
msg tools
badge
Time is an illusion. Game time, doubly so.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the smaller footprint is nice which necessitates the smaller cards, but I also think that a deluxe version could be really cool! Full-size cards, engraved wood box, metal coins and tokens (already available), a larger board that incorporates the pantheon. Totally over-the-top. I'd be in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Good discussion - just a thought we had. I can't imagine it being that much of a difference in price from a regular copy of 7 wonders.

You'd be surprised.

Bigger cards means bigger box, bigger box means more shelf space, more shelf space means an FLGS needs bigger margins to give it valuable space, means higher cost. There's a lot more that goes into the price of a game than raw components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Bigger cards means bigger box, bigger box means more shelf space, more shelf space means an FLGS needs bigger margins to give it valuable space, means higher cost. There's a lot more that goes into the price of a game than raw components.

True, but let's not forget that there are plenty of games that have ridiculously oversized boxes - because more shelf space means more visibility and more visibility can result in more sales.

That being said, I do think that one of the main reasons 7 Wonders: Duel is so popular is because of the punch it packs in a small package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

True, but let's not forget that there are plenty of games that have ridiculously oversized boxes - because more shelf space means more visibility and more visibility can result in more sales.

Yup, and a lot of times the price usually matches the box more than it does the game inside. It's pretty crazy the correlation between perceived value and box size for a lot of stuff. Imagine if Splendor came in a box that fit its components without all that air. Most folks would assume it's a $15-20 game and likely balk at shelling out $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
JacquesDeMolay wrote:

You'd be surprised.

I think he meant regular 7 Wonders, not 7 Wonders: Duel. That would make sense.

Or I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hancock
Wales
Caerphilly
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
russ wrote:
goldeneyeonline wrote:

Great point, Russ, especially with the extra space required to add the Pantheon expansion.

We like the cards in their current size because we can play the game at our local coffee shop.

Having played the game a few times now; and even with familiarity; the card and symbol size upon the cards is making it hard us and everyone we have played with ends up hunched over the table trying to see the symbols; this in itself you could argue blocks more light which makes the issue snowball somewhat...

Why not simply have larger symbols?
Same size cards; just bigger symbols...

Afterall... the art and name of the card itself bears absolutely no function within the game that I am aware of.

Larger cards could easily have been used in the game in the first place; and would easily fit in a box that size given a remodelling of the tray; although this would of course impact upon table space...

I'm not talking Lost Cities size... but something larger somehow would most definitely be better in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.