GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Your advice concerning my wishlist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been away from "serious" board gaming for many years. Still I know my "taste" for games very well. I went through all rating lists and reviews and came up with a list of very interesting games. Some of them pretty "light" and some of them abit heavier. (PS! Yes I know some of the multiplayer games are nice to play with only two players).

Multiplayer (for the purpose of 3+ players)

Splendor
Small world
Sheriff of Nottingham
Medina (second edition)
King of Tokyo
Imperial
Greed (Queen games 2014)
Elfenland
Biblios
Blood Rage
7 Wonders
Wallenstein (2nd edition)
Tikal

2-player games

Patchwork
Santorini (2014)
The Duke
Elements
Onitama
Mouse Guard: Swords & Strongholds
Memoir '44
War of the Ring (2nd edition)
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
Julius Caesar
Hammer of the Scots

Please help me with the following:

1. In what ORDER would YOU rank this games (those you have played) in each of the two categories?

2. If you have anything NEGATIVE to comment about any of the games. Please share (the positive I allready found out)!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranking of your multiplayer games based on success I've had with multiple people, not my own specific tastes

1. Splendor - I prefer this with 2 players (more strategic), then 3 (more tactical with some strategy). I'll play it and enjoy it with 4 but it is a completely tactical game.
2. King of Tokyo - if monsters and rolling dice is appealing then pull this out. Is too long at 6 players. 4 is a sweet spot I think.
3. Sheriff of Nottingham - Very funny. Don't let it run too long, this is the only reason we don't pull it out as much, as some players make negotiations run too long. You can moderate this and I believe the app also has this capability.
4. 7 Wonders - very fun, but steep learning curve for new players which can make their first game much longer than necessary. After that the games should be quick and fun.
5. Small world - good game but hasn't been massively popular with us, not sure why.
6. Biblios - has just been 'meh' but only played a few times. Will have to try it out more to have a more informed opinion.

For your two player games - I haven't played any of those. Some of our favourites:
Hive Pocket
7 Wonders Duel
Star Realms
Schotten Totten
Valley of the Kings
Pandemic
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
(Splendor)
Targi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb

Ranking: - Please note: I enjoy all of these games, so the ones near the bottom of the list aren't bad . . . I own and am usually willing to play all of them (although, King of Tokyo is probably in the next tier down from the other games on the list . . . it's fun, but I will usually choose to play something else).

1. Imperial
2. Tikal
3. 7 Wonders
4. Blood Rage
5. Splendor
6. Medina (second edition)
7. Biblios
8. Sheriff of Nottingham - Needs to be with the right group of people. Role-playing is such a huge part of the game. If the players aren't willing to speak in exaggerated accents and assume the roles of outlandish characters, it won't be nearly as fun.
9. Small world
10.King of Tokyo

Have not played:

Greed (Queen games 2014)
Elfenland
Wallenstein (2nd edition)

2-player games

Of these, I have only played Onitama (and I have only played it as a solitaire game).

Patchwork
Santorini (2014)
The Duke
Elements
Onitama
Mouse Guard: Swords & Strongholds
Memoir '44
War of the Ring (2nd edition)
Julius Caesar
Hammer of the Scots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Refined at the intersection of the 80's and 90's
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
coltbeatsall wrote:

1. Splendor - I prefer this with 2 players (more strategic), then 3 (more tactical with some strategy). I'll play it and enjoy it with 4 but it is a completely tactical game.
2. King of Tokyo - if monsters and rolling dice is appealing then pull this out. Is too long at 6 players. 4 is a sweet spot I think.
3. Sheriff of Nottingham - Very funny. Don't let it run too long, this is the only reason we don't pull it out as much, as some players make negotiations run too long. You can moderate this and I believe the app also has this capability.
4. 7 Wonders - very fun, but steep learning curve for new players which can make their first game much longer than necessary. After that the games should be quick and fun.
5. Small world - good game but hasn't been massively popular with us, not sure why.
6. Biblios - has just been 'meh' but only played a few times. Will have to try it out more to have a more informed opinion.

REALLY agree with Lizzie...I'd swap the last two on her list. There's a good mix of mechanics and theme in these so you won't feel like you bought two versions of the same game.
1. Splendor-Can't go wrong with Splendor!
2. King of Tokyo-A great gateway game...easy to teach.
3. Sheriff on Nottingham-(EXACTLY what Lizzie said)
4. 7 Wonders-We've used Sushi Go to get people used to drafting, then introduced this.
5. Biblios-We really enjoy the auction mechanic in this game.
6. Small World-I can only rarely coax someone into playing the digital version on the tablet. I do try though because it's a great/streamlined implementation.

As far as the two player, I'd second Pandemic if you don't have any co-op games. They fill a void in collections. Forbidden Island is a lighter version.

I also REALLY want to try The Duke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Buy Patchwork and Biblios and skip Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will check out Cacao too then :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more of you got opnions on my wishlist games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial
(big gap)
Patchwork
Memoir '44
Medina (second edition)
Blood Rage
King of Tokyo
Biblios
(big gap)
Splendor
Sheriff of Nottingham
(huuuuuge gap)
Small world
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Multiplayer

Small World - a good deal of replayability thanks to race/class combos

7 Wonders - husband loves this one- probably because he wins at least 80% of the time. Was a go-to game when we had 7 people, but I got tired of it for a while.

Blood Rage - I like this one, but in my experience playing it, my husband had a bad time - probably because it wasn't explained well and that threw off his whole game. Would like to play again (played once, but I may like it better than 7 Wonders).

Sheriff of Nottingham

King of Tokyo

Biblios

Splendor - I found this incredibly frustration because I couldn't ever get the gems I needed to get good combos. Don't think I would want to play it again.

I haven't played any of the 2-player games you mentioned, but I was thinking of buying Santorini and Mouse Guard at one point. I almost backed Santorini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Daggerheart wrote:
I have been away from "serious" board gaming for many years. Still I know my "taste" for games very well. I went through all rating lists and reviews and came up with a list of very interesting games. Some of them pretty "light" and some of them abit heavier. (PS! Yes I know some of the multiplayer games are nice to play with only two players).

Splendor
Medina (second edition)
King of Tokyo
Imperial
Greed

2-player games

Patchwork
Santorini (2014)
The Duke
Elements

Please help me with the following:

1. In what ORDER would YOU rank this games (those you have played) in each of the two categories?

2. If you have anything NEGATIVE to comment about any of the games. Please share (the positive I allready found out)!

Thanks!

Start with those. All you need really. That said, I'd only ever play Greed with two for more control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.