GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Always draw for reinforcement in Objective ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
May I have to wait until Objective is activated to draw reinforcements from it (Observation Post for example) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't know this specific Objective and don't have the game at hand, but normally you don't draw reinforcements as long as the Objective isn't activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, once the objective has been activated you will begin to draw hostile reinforcements during the ensuing Hostile Reinforcement Phase. And don't forget to draw the number of non-reinforcement Hostiles appropriate for the objective card based upon your current RP level when you activate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb

I've always thought I don't recalculate RP Points when activating Objective...so drawing Hostile appropriate for my starting RP value (if no soldier has been downed of course) rather than my current value...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dampenon wrote:

I've always thought I don't recalculate RP Points when activating Objective...so drawing Hostile appropriate for my starting RP value (if no soldier has been downed of course) rather than my current value...

You are correct.

Recalculating RP is usually only done when a soldier is downed.
(I tend not to - unless the RP increases! eg a NPS is downed leaving a higher RP weapon behind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Dampenon wrote:

You are correct.

(I tend not to - unless the RP increases! eg a NPS is downed leaving a higher RP weapon behind).

David:

I'm puzzled by your comment. If an NPS is downed leaving a higher RP weapon behind, then I would think that the weapon is not counted for current RP --- since no one has had a chance to pick it up off the ground yet. Is this not right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Dampenon wrote:

You are correct.

David:

I'm puzzled by your comment. If an NPS is downed leaving a higher RP weapon behind, then I would think that the weapon is not counted for current RP --- since no one has had a chance to pick it up off the ground yet. Is this not right?

If Scanlan is downed and Bailey picks up the BAR then the soldiers RP is recalculated with all the RP of all the soldiers. If no-one is going to pick up the dropped BAR then discard the card and don't include it in the recalculation.

There are some ways of doing the recalculation and it's timing that isn't strictly ruled on - do what you think is fun and challenging - the Hostiles will not object.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Esto wrote:
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Dampenon wrote:

You are correct.

David:

If Scanlan is downed and Bailey picks up the BAR then the soldiers RP is recalculated with all the RP of all the soldiers. If no-one is going to pick up the dropped BAR then discard the card and don't include it in the recalculation.

There are some ways of doing the recalculation and it's timing that isn't strictly ruled on - do what you think is fun and challenging - the Hostiles will not object.

Your last response is very interesting. I had the impression that the recalculation was performed the instant that the NPS was Downed (i.e. before any other Player Soldier had the opportunity to pick up the NPS' Gear.) But you believe it is more realistic to do it the other way. That's fine with me.

But now another more important question arises from your last comment. Why do you believe that you must discard the Bar if Bailey chooses not to pick it up immediately (perhaps because of his Load-Out restrictions)? I do not see this anywhere in the Rules. In fact, it seems to say the opposite on page 21: "You can drop Gear for another Player Soldier to pick up when they enter your Location". Is there a difference between voluntarily dropping Gear & losing it as a result of being downed? Again, I can't find this in the Rules.

I don't think that the section on "Lighten the Load" (p.21) answers my question because it talks about voluntarily discarding Equipment, Weapons & extra Ammo by ANY Soldier immediately before recalculating RP to reduce your Team's total RP value. In my opinion, that's quite different from the involuntary reaction of dropping equipment when Downed.

In my current game, my best Player Soldier was Downed at the Ford Location & he was carrying numerous Grenades & a Satchel Charge plus a Rifle with Ammo. Are you telling me that none of my other Player Soldiers can enter this Location later on to pick up his Gear (hopefully on the side of the bank & not underwater)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

If your soldier is downed and you want to be able to pick up that gear, then include that gear's RP in recalculating your total soldier's RP.
(even if the gear isn't in a location that you can pick it up from straight away)

If you don't want the gear for later then "Lighten the Load" per page 21 and thus it won't be included in the calculation of the total RP of your soldiers.

I'm currently playing a mission where I started with 49 RP (instead of the mission 52) to avoid the increased level of Hostiles for 50-74*.

During the game from Scrounging and Warehouse and Finding a MG42.. if I had to recalculate my total RP - I may well be over 50 RP even with one or more downed soldiers.

*e.g.
Hostiles
29- 1
30-49 2
50-74 3
75-99 5
100-124 8
125 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

If your soldier is downed and you want to be able to pick up that gear, then include that gear's RP in recalculating your total soldier's RP.
(even if the gear isn't in a location that you can pick it up from straight away)

If you don't want the gear for later then "Lighten the Load" per page 21 and thus it won't be included in the calculation of the total RP of your soldiers.

I'm currently playing a mission where I started with 49 RP (instead of the mission 52) to avoid the increased level of Hostiles for 50-74*.

During the game from Scrounging and Warehouse and Finding a MG42.. if I had to recalculate my total RP - I may well be over 50 RP even with one or more downed soldiers.

*e.g.
Hostiles
29- 1
30-49 2
50-74 3
75-99 5
100-124 8
125 11

What if you are not sure if another Soldier can use the Gear later when one of your Soldiers is Downed? It sounds as if you are saying that you need to make a decision immediately as to whether or not you eventually wish to pick up the fallen Soldier's Weapons & Ammo. And I think you are saying that this decision cannot be negated later if you realize that none of your other Soldier's are in a position to pick up this stuff (either because of Load-out restrictions or Location inaccessibility). If this is true, then you must include this unused Gear forever & ever in your RP count without any further opportunity to discard these items. Is this true?

In my Scenario, Schmidt dropped 4 Grenades, a Satchel Charge & an StG 44 Rifle. So far, I've been able to pick up only 2 of the 4 Grenades because of Load-out restrictions. And I'm doubtful now that I'll be going back to get any of the other Gear which Schmidt left behind. Does this mean that I'm stuck with all of the extra Gear I'll never use in all of my future RP counts? If I had known this Rule, I would undoubtedly have discarded the Rifle & its Ammo --- but kept the Grenades & Satchel Charge (which I thought in all honesty I would need at some future time). But now that doesn't look likely. I would appreciate your views on this. Do you think it's fair to count RP for equipment that you don't have in your possession & probably never will (at least in my Scenario?) I do know that everything in war is not fair but the Warfighter rules should be somewhat realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is up to you how you play it. cool

If you think it is unfair you have my semi official approval to re-write any or every rule. When you bought it became yours to do with as you please (except for copyright infringement)... Have fun with the rules - I know that I do.. it is how I got to be involved in the development of WF WWII by looking to see if I could improve the game.

Personally.. whistle
I think the rules are too generous in allowing for a recalculation of RP that may lead to lower number of hostiles.. but that could be just me shake .. Dan said he was happy for a recalculation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
It is up to you how you play it. cool

If you think it is unfair you have my semi official approval to re-write any or every rule. When you bought it became yours to do with as you please (except for copyright infringement)... Have fun with the rules - I know that I do.. it is how I got to be involved in the development of WF WWII by looking to see if I could improve the game.

Personally.. whistle
I think the rules are too generous in allowing for a recalculation of RP that may lead to lower number of hostiles.. but that could be just me shake .. Dan said he was happy for a recalculation

All right, thank you for your feedback. I will close this discussion by summarizing in the next paragraph what I think is your viewpoint on this issue (even though you didn't answer this directly in your last message).

When a Soldier is Downed, you must immediately decide whether you will give his Gear to another Soldier or discard it. If you choose to leave it on the ground for another Soldier who MIGHT pick it up later, then you are stuck with the RP value of that Gear for the entire Mission. You will have no further opportunity to discard it at a later time --- unless someone picks it up off the ground first & discards it when your next Soldier is Downed.

I hope this accurately describes your interpretation of the Rules. Yes, it is true that I could adopt House Rules for everything. However, I much prefer to follow the Rules exactly as written --- and I trust your interpretation more than my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Esto
When a Soldier is Downed, you must immediately decide whether you will give his Gear to another Soldier or discard it. If you choose to leave it on the ground for another Soldier who MIGHT pick it up later, then you are stuck with the RP value of that Gear for the entire Mission. You will have no further opportunity to discard it at a later time --- unless someone picks it up off the ground first & discards it when your next Soldier is Downed.[/q]

You are mostly correct!

Only qualifier.....
When next a soldier is downed you can also "Lighten the Load" by discarding abandoned gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.