GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,609 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

MLB Showdown» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2017 BBWAA ballot, All-time set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Senechal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Given all the talk of the HOF ballot, I thought it was a good time to try running career peaks of players. These are based off consecutive 7-year peaks, and are made in the 00/01 style.

Current album at: http://imgur.com/a/0EFYa

I'm also looking at my 2017 set, but I'm thinking of making a few upgrades as well, mostly because bullpen use has changed a lot in the last 10-15 years. So I might try to release things in two different forms, a 00/01 style staying as close to the original game as possible, and a hybrid form that has some of my proposed changes.

1. Lefty/righty splits will be handled on the pitch, by having a split OB (such as 11/12)
2. Putting 1B+ back on the cards, until I find a better answer for speed/steals. These act as a single and an automatic stolen base, like the original rules.
3. New look on stamina. Pitchers are now rated from Sta 2-5. Every run and every inning counts against stamina. Starters are expected to tire as the game goes on, but it'll allow both starters and relievers to do long relief, and make complete games a lot easier, when you have a good start.

More on this later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
japes -

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy your post and discussions and like to hear more of your Hybrid solutions and the reasons you like and dislike things from the early vs later series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Senechal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I got into the game late, so I was more familiar with 04/05. But especially now, people prefer the 00/01 style. The main difference is that the early years had lower OB, and a lot more oomph on the batter charts. Later years had higher OB, but batters get more outs and less power on their charts.

I tried a lot of things over the years. But the main idea is that I can matchup a player against a 'league average' card, and then pick a chart to match his target stats. That technique lets me vary how the cards come out, and I can aim for a specific style.

So I have formulas for 00/01 style. But those extreme charts tend to mess with the math. Hybrid was my solution, trying to mix and match years to get something that felt right, but also gave accurate results.

But it played differently. And I've come to realize the statistical accuracy was my problem. The old sets had more player variance. My cards came out samey because the engine isn't great at subtlety. So I'm looking at expanding results, and see what comes out.

I'll probably keep Hybrid as is, if people want accuracy, but I'm hoping to post a test set soon with my new results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.