Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster dice room limit question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt K
msg tools
Does the monster Malaphyas spawns every turn keep replacing the monsters in the room including the cultist that starts there or do they pile up or what? The rules say that you remove the lowest xp monster when you exceed the room limit but there was some text about forcing the spawn regardless so I'm not sure. I read it as remove the monsters as new ones get added including removing the cultist if he is the lowest xp monster but I'd like to be sure.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Bears
Australia
flag msg tools
We ran into this as well - having it constantly spawn makes it hard to get through, so knowing the answer would be handy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, he spawns one every turn. The Cultist is fixed, so he isn't going anywhere. There is room in there for four monsters, so Malaphyas, the Cultist, and his summon. Then at the end of the next turn, a new monster will spawn from him, and the one from the previous turn will move out of his section of the room into the center.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
p.22 "Each of these rooms follows the rules for medium dungeon rooms (i.e., the Monster Limit is 4 ...")

p.23 "The first roll determines which type of monster (minor or major) will spawn this turn in Malaphyas' Throne Room ... this monster spawns regardless of the presence of other monsters in the Throne Room!"

Based on that last part, I don't think there's a limit for that spawn.
So they'll keep popping at beginning of hero turn, but they should keep moving towards heroes during DM phase.

Malaphyas and cultist can't move.

p.22 Malaphyas Blue Side Dark Ritual Ability: "Summons a major monster at the start of combat"

This ability is a different spawn event that occurs during blue side combat. (hopefully only once) -- and I would think that it should follow room limit of 4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Bears
Australia
flag msg tools
DeftTitan wrote:

So they'll keep popping at beginning of hero turn, but they should keep moving towards heroes during DM phase.


That is only if the player moves it, otherwise the room could grow to have 10+ monsters in it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
p.13 If a game effect forces a monster to spawn in a room that exceeds the monster limit, remove the monster from that room that awards the least XP.

So if major monsters keep getting generated, they'll replace the minor ones and make the room increasingly dangerous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McReynolds
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AstorSigma wrote:
Does the monster Malaphyas spawns every turn keep replacing the monsters in the room including the cultist that starts there or do they pile up or what? The rules say that you remove the lowest xp monster when you exceed the room limit but there was some text about forcing the spawn regardless so I'm not sure. I read it as remove the monsters as new ones get added including removing the cultist if he is the lowest xp monster but I'd like to be sure.


We ran into this same question too, and I agree, you remove what's there to make room for what's coming in.

DeftTitan wrote:
p.22 "Each of these rooms follows the rules for medium dungeon rooms (i.e., the Monster Limit is 4 ...")

p.23 "The first roll determines which type of monster (minor or major) will spawn this turn in Malaphyas' Throne Room ... this monster spawns regardless of the presence of other monsters in the Throne Room!"

Based on that last part, I don't think there's a limit for that spawn.
So they'll keep popping at beginning of hero turn, but they should keep moving towards heroes during DM phase.

Malaphyas and cultist can't move.

p.22 Malaphyas Blue Side Dark Ritual Ability: "Summons a major monster at the start of combat"

This ability is a different spawn event that occurs during blue side combat. (hopefully only once) -- and I would think that it should follow room limit of 4.


What we ended up doing was following the rules on pg. 13 of the rulebook:

Quote:
"A monster cannot move into a room that is already at its limit. If a game effect forces a monster to spawn in a room that exceeds the monster limit, remove the monster from the room that awards the least XP. Repeat if necessary, until the limit has been satisfied. If there is a tie for the monster with the least XP, the player whose turn it is decides which one to move."


After reading through some posts here I hope what we did was correct. Here's what happened to us:

First turn Malaphyas Attacks and we end up having to spawn a minor monster. That's no big deal, since that brings the total to 4 (2 minor + 2 for Malaphyas).

At the end of the first player's turn they moved the minor monster to the center of the tile, which now freed up one space for a minor monster in the Throne Room.

Beginning of the next turn, when Malaphyas Attacks, a major monster is spawned. Based on the rules on pg. 13 of the rulebook we removed the cultist from the board (according to the rules we had to spawn the major monster we just rolled) and then there were only 4 in the room (2 for the major monster and 2 for Malaphyas).

On one of the following turns we couldn't move any of the monsters during the Move Monsters phase, so the monster that was spawned at the beginning in the Throne Room didn't move. Malaphyas Attacked again and we rolled a major monster (I think there was a minor monster there with Malaphyas), so we removed the minor monster from the board and replaced it with the major monster that was just spawned.

So, yeah, you just end up replacing (removing) the monsters that are there until there's room for the one you spawn. I hope that's the right way to do it.

I must say, one of the challenges with this game is remembering all the rules and remembering when to do them. Two games played and neither one was played 100% correct yet. ...and I spent a lot of time going over the rules and watching videos so that I could "hopefully" get it right.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I played solo last night so read through the rules fully.
It states that monsters spawn in the throne area regardless of how many are in it. That seems to overrule normal conditions.
When they move into any of the other four areas,then normal restrictions for medium rooms apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
I think the statement "this monster spawns regardless of the presence of other monsters in the Throne Room" is written because normally, a monster would not spawn inside a room that already has a monster inside of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Teinheit wrote:
I think the statement "this monster spawns regardless of the presence of other monsters in the Throne Room" is written because normally, a monster would not spawn inside a room that already has a monster inside of it.


Okay then. Someone really should have focus tested this rulebook for clarity
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played a solo game today, and after reading this thread I have still no idea how it works.
I just kept spawning and leaving all the monsters in the room, but I guess that was wrong. The gust of it all is probably that you will always face Malaphyas and one other unit in his room when fighting.
So the only time his "Dark Ritual" skill would be used is if the "start of the turn" spawn is a minor monster, then the new major one would replace the minor?

Anyway, my way was far more deadly then this silly replacing stuff . Faced off against Malaphyas red side and two Cyclops, they killed me hard from full health.

A bit off topic question; Do you ever go left (the treasure) or right (the pit). If I don't understand it wrong there is no point going there since the two cultists only stand there doing nothing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Malaphyas summon monsters if the heroes are in the throne room?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Somerville
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
I've only played once, a co-op/solo game. Here the movement rules are a bit different; You have to move each monster on a tile without a character one space closer to the nearest hero. That means that once you enter the throne room no monsters can be moved out to make way for new spawns.

I also played the hard-core way, saying that there was no limit to the number of enemies there. Thus one summon at the beginning of each characters round, as well as a major one when you initiate combat with Malaphyas' first form.

What I'm curious about is whether it is possible to attack the boss alone and ignore the other monsters. I played it that way and killed his final format, just blocking and using cards to help me prevent damage from the other monsters so I don't die.
While this count as a victory, or can't I kill Mally while other monsters are alive?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gormash wrote:
I've only played once, a co-op/solo game. Here the movement rules are a bit different; You have to move each monster on a tile without a character one space closer to the nearest hero. That means that once you enter the throne room no monsters can be moved out to make way for new spawns.

Right, which is what prompted my question. The rules say monsters cannot move from a room occupied by a hero, but can it be ousted because of the monster room limit rule? The rules are unclear, or not specific at best.

Gormash wrote:
What I'm curious about is whether it is possible to attack the boss alone and ignore the other monsters. I played it that way and killed his final format, just blocking and using cards to help me prevent damage from the other monsters so I don't die.
While this count as a victory, or can't I kill Mally while other monsters are alive?

It's one big fight and you choose who you may kill. As long as you can block enough wounds to survive the fight you can kill Mal and win the scenario. If you kill him but also die you lose the scenario.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.