7 Posts

History Maker Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: 1st Game Question(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got this and am playing a game using the included sample teams (ATL v MINN)

I got a 6-6-6 result...DEEP DRIVE - Glove? (With a symbol explaining that a GOLD fielder may be able to make a catch.)

How do I know which fielder to check? (It was a right-handed batter, so I assumed either CF or LF, but I rolled three dice, assigning one color to each OF position. It came up RF. Is this how you decide?)

Also, I don't quite understand why there are two columns in the Glove chart.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C K
United States
Kingston
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you roll 6-6-6 and don't resolve until the Fielder column, go to the Micro-Chart Glove!, roll a d6, and check the results in the Going...going... column.

This roll will tell you which fielder to check for the GOLD quality (1 is RF, 2 is CF, 3 is LF, 4-6 is a home run without a glove check).

If you roll a 1, 2, or 3 on this chart, then check to see if the fielder in question is GOLD. If they aren't, it's a home run. If they are GOLD, roll again on this chart, but this time, consult the ...He LEAPS... column to find out what happens.

Have fun, this is a great game!

-C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D'oh! Do I feel stupid! I didn't even see the RF/CF/LF for 1,2,3. All I saw was "GOLD?" Now I get it...if he's GOLD, then "He LEAPS..." (which means roll on the "He LEAPS..." column, silly!) It looks so obvious now.

It also took me a minute to realize that "semi." as in SEMI ACE, or SEMI HERO, or whatever, meant "sometime" ace; that is, he sometimes pitches at ACE level. (So we check the decider die to see if this is one of those times.) While reading the rule book I was thinking it meant there was some quality level between ACE and STAR, and I couldn't figure out where it showed up!

I'll blame my slowness on my advancing age!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another question...

...the rulebook says starters are FRESH for the first three innings, and SEMI FRESH for the next three. What happens after that? NEUTRAL?

The Century League is based on the game from around the '40's or '50's. Starters stayed in longer back then; complete games were not uncommon. I'll probably play the pitchers more like the modern game with 5-man rotations, relievers, closers, etc. But I was just curious about the FRESH quality rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C K
United States
Kingston
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking Era into account, and shutout freshness, and fatigue (or whichever of these you choose to play with)...

After the number of innings that the pitcher is SEMI FRESH, he no longer has the FRESH quality at all.

So it goes: FRESH for a while, then SEMI FRESH for a while, then not FRESH for the rest of the game - because he's tired.

-C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
northjack wrote:
Another question...

...the rulebook says starters are FRESH for the first three innings, and SEMI FRESH for the next three. What happens after that? NEUTRAL?

The Century League is based on the game from around the '40's or '50's. Starters stayed in longer back then; complete games were not uncommon. I'll probably play the pitchers more like the modern game with 5-man rotations, relievers, closers, etc. But I was just curious about the FRESH quality rule.

After that, they no longer have the FRESH quality, so when FRESH? comes up, they fail that check.

Since you are play the Century League, you will want to look at the FRESHNESS BY ERA chart on page xvii of the rulebook. For this era, pitchers get 4 FRESH innings and 4 SEMI FRESH innings.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Al. I did see that in the rulebook, then promptly forgot about it. I'm still on the fence about playing '50's style or modern style. Starting a series now...will probably play modern style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.