Bob van de Voort
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the easiest method is to make a digital/online board game.
I know a bit of programming and have some experience. However I do not have any experience with creating applications from scratch.
I would prefer to use a library, a good framework or software like by example vassal with decent documentation.

My game would need the following:
*A snake and ladders kind of board game, where you try to race to the end of the board and roll a die to advance.
*A money system like monopoly so you can pay for things and buy stuff
*A system that can keep track of general things, like extra items or options players have obtained, global extra rules. By example it shows and keeps track if a player has to skip his next x turns and then also reduces the number every time they skip a turn.
*It should be able to show a prompt window with actions that need to be completed.
*The movement of the tokens has to be automatic to avoid players to have to move them themselves. Taking the die roll as the input plus maybe some extra rules, such as tile rules and so on.

It would be a pre if it supports mobile phones as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And preferably free, too, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

There are any number of ways of doing this, and based on how you have asked I would assume you are not on top of hosting options, or multi-platform support.

The important word in your query is "easiest", and there the answer probably comes down to how far you are with teaching yourself the necessary skills - and which skills you have. Developers tend to prefer the options where they already have the most experience...

As you don;t appear to have a need to persist anything outside of the game you should be able to build this with any UI focused scripting language. I can't see anything there that you couldn't do with JavaScript.

Alt. Easiest way - pay someone else to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - devs tend to use what they already know

(My retirement project game is in PHP/MySQL/Javascript with mostly HTML4 because that is what I more or less - a decade out of practice - knew already.)

For mobile you need a max 640x480 resolution and text large enough to read on the tiny screen -- my game was based on a minimum 1280x720 screen and 10 inch minimum screen size so it is not mobile friendly.

If you want to retain variables across multiple pages and have multi-device multiplayer you need some sort of a central server involved - one device might act as that server.

If a browser game, cookies or database can preserve data between sessions.

But Javascript and HTML5 would probably suffice for what you have described if done as a browser game.

Also please elaborate on know a bit of programming and but not with creating applications from scratch Exactly what is meant by that?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob van de Voort
msg tools
Sorry I made a mistake when typing it.
It should have read:
I know a bit of programming and have some experience. However I do not have any experience with creating applications from scratch.

Okay thanks guys.

Btw it does Not have to be free, but it should be cheap, 25 euros or so.

Does anyone have any experience with monkey-x?

Furthermore I did some programming in C but that has been a while (3 years), I regularly write simple script for simulation and cad software, mostly python based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are free python-frameworks that will help you make multi-platform games and that comes with tutorials and examples, like pygame or Kiva (or Panda 3D if you want 3D). And other ones I used even less.

Godot is a free framework/editor-thing that is scripted in its own language called GDScript that is very similar to python, and very easy to use with the built-in editor that has the autocomplete-stuff and so on you would expect. It can export games to the major desktop systems as well as iOS and Android and more.

But I can't think of a system I saw that has any specific support for boardgames. Not that I think it would be easy to make one that will work for more than a very few games anyway. Better to figure out how to make generic (2D) applications. Reading player input and having pieces move around following some rules is not very difficult. AI will be the difficult part and no engine can help much with that anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
There are free python-frameworks that will help you make multi-platform games and that comes with tutorials and examples, like pygame or Kiva (or Panda 3D if you want 3D). And other ones I used even less.

Godot is a free framework/editor-thing that is scripted in its own language called GDScript that is very similar to python, and very easy to use with the built-in editor that has the autocomplete-stuff and so on you would expect. It can export games to the major desktop systems as well as iOS and Android and more.

But I can't think of a system I saw that has any specific support for boardgames. Not that I think it would be easy to make one that will work for more than a very few games anyway. Better to figure out how to make generic (2D) applications. Reading player input and having pieces move around following some rules is not very difficult. AI will be the difficult part and no engine can help much with that anyway.

I take it on a typical project, the AI will comprise of at least twice the work to do everything else? Or at least, "good AI" that's above rudimentary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob van de Voort
msg tools
pelni wrote:

Thank you very much for the tip I will look into that.

I don't need true AI.
It will mostly just be rule based, in other words, if this then that.
Since it's turned based and and all outputs are based on inputs with some calculations in between it shouldn't be too difficult implementing the rules.

Players don't have that many options, mostly the game master has several options.
It should mostly be press button, die rolls, have an option to buy something. With the possibility of prompts with required actions showing up.

Just as in snake and ladders players do not have too much controll.

My main issue is properly connecting the code to a decent/usable GUI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in way over your head.

I'd start by modifying someone else's desktop game. There are lots
of open source, mostly abandoned, games out there. Once you've made
a few desktop games, attach yourself to some existing online framework,
whatever seems most similar to the style of gaming you're planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.