Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a session report of a participation in The Wolf Guard Challenge for Space Hulk: Death Angel — The Card Game.

The initial formation was:
Haegar (Green)
Sigurd (Purple)
Vulpen (Purple)
Ranek (Blue)
Fenmar (Blue)
Egil (Green)

First round and Ranek is surrounded by two swarms of 2 GS.
Sigurd frightened one of the GS, Ranek attacked and missed, Fenmar killed one and Haegar killed another one.
Brother Ranek was trying to fight off the last GS but failed at that, he was slain.
Fenmar, with a grin look on his face shouted "For my Battle Brothers!" and attacked the GS but the creature evaded the attack.
Purple team took the matters in their own hands and were able to kill 1 GS. Egil blocked and smashed the remaining 3-GS swarm and 2 GS dropped dead (a "5" and a "2").
Fenmar wanted to avenge Egil but his gun has jammed! 2-GS swarms engaged the green team this time!
At least 1 GS ran away after Fenmar's Battle Cry! Sigurd was able to frighten another GS and Haegar shot a third one.
Egil barraged the last GS and missed (two missed attacks). Fortunately the GS was frightened enough to not do any harm to Egil (rolled a "1" during defense).
Seeing that, Egil used the opportunity and with a cry "For my Battle Brothers" was able to defeat the last GS!

Marines ventured into new room sealing off 2 GS behind. Surprisingly, 2 new GS have spawned and engaged Egil!
Egil was supported by other teams (Purple's support and Blue's movement) and Oath of War was put on Egil, just in case of an unexpected event!
Egil Blocked the swarm and Smashed 1 GS during that! (a "4" and a "3" rolled).
4 new GS have appeared and Marines decided to Enter a proper Formation. Egil was engaged with 4 GS in his front and Sigurd had 2 in his back. It was tough.
Fenmar and Sigurd were able to frighten 1 of the GS from each swarm, Egil tried his best to kill some more GS ("0" rerolled to "3Sk" and "0" rerolled to "0"...) and decapitated one of them, still 2 were left...
Egil defended thanks to Haegar's guard and Fenmar (after moving to the swarm's position) defended supported by others ("0" rerolled to "2").
Marines have encountered a Hive and 2 new GS have spawned in the room!
Vulpen attacked one of the swarms and missed (then moved it to the back of Egil)
Sigurd attacked the swarm engaged with Fenmar but missed and was able to move it to Egil's back, hoping that Fenmar, while moving around, will be able to guard Sigurd himself from the GS engaged with him.
Egil Blocked both attacks and Smashed 1 of the GS in one swarm (a "3" and a "4") and 2 of the GS in the second swarm ("3" and "0"). What an unimaginable melee skills he has!
Sigurd was able to defend against the lone GS.
We felt Outnumbered but we kept our solid formation. Haegar tried to attack and missed (both attacks), Egil has lost his concentration and failed in the same way.
Egil was slain by a lone GS, others were not able to guard him. Luckily, Sigurd and Fenmar survived the attacks.
Marines have found a Secret Route and took it but all the GS have followed. Sigurd had 3 GS in front and 4 behind him...
Fenmar moved only to support Haegar, Sigurd tried to attack the swarm in his front and missed. Then Vulpen attacked the swarm in Sigurd's back and killed 1 of the GS. The swarm moved to Sigurd's front.
Sigurd defended himself heroically but died in action! (rolled a "1", 5 ST were on the surrounding Marines, 1 less than needed).
An unexpected Flanking Manouevre and 7 GS were immediately behind Sergeant Fenmar! Despite some 3 blips on the left corridor, we headed right and because that corridor was so narrow, we were able to shut the door before 6 of those GS, only one pursued us to the Hibernation Cluster.

In the Cluster, our radar showed only 3 blips on each of the corners, was it malfunctioning? Let's hope not!
Fenmar's Battle Cry scares off the lone GS. Vulpen aimed his gun at the Spore Chimney and destroyed it! We now have some time to catch breath.
Our Temporary Sanctuary didn't last for too long, 4 new GS have appeared! Vulpen collected 2 ST and was in the center of the formation to guard other brothers.
Haegar attacked the swarm in his front and killed 2 GS thanks to Vulpen's Oath of War ("1Sk" and "4Sk" rolled).
It seemed like Marines are greatly motivated by something, they defended easily against the remaining swarm (a natural "4" rolled)
Haegar now got a Second Wind and fortunately only 1 new GS appeared (I have avoided spawning the 4 because only 1 card was on the left blip pile, 2 were left on the right one).

We could move on and we reached the Launch Control Room! Our radar showed 6 blips on each side of the room.
While moving to the new room, Vulpen tried to attack a swarm and missed (Fenmar played support, Haegar movement). But this time, the GS were the ones overwhelmed by our might (a "3" during defense), the Marines formed a really tough team and won't give in before succeeding the mission!
(at this point I have: Fenmar with 3ST, Vulpen with 4ST and Haegar with 3ST)
We have noticed some kind of Evasion maneouvre but it was not enough to fool us. Fenmar kills one of the GS, Vulpen gains some support.
Haegar defends against a swarm and guarded by Vulpen, succeeds ("0" + 2 ST). Vulpen defends against the other swarm with no help from others ("2").
Everything looked too easy, so it was only a matter of time that we have encountered another Hive. Fenmar supported the other 2 Marines, Vulpen killed one of the GS.
Defense was successful (a natural "5" rolled!)
Suddenly, Haegar became Surrounded! He tried to support others but was too busy fending off the GS (played support with no effect, because no ST was left in the pool).
Vulpen tried to extract the datasheets but the voltage was low and the mechanism was blocked so we had to wait until later (rolled a "5" while activating). Fenmar incapacitated one of the GS in the meantime.
Haegar didn't lose his faith and defended against the swarm engaged with him (a natural "4" rolled).
Then, Haegar has taken our attention, distracting us. He was able to find some grenades and so he Resupplied. We tried to bring back our concentration (all 9ST moved to Haegar...)
Fenmar scared off one of the GS and Vulpen was ready to attack when Haegar extracted the datasheets and we were able to retreat from the Core Cogitator room. When resupplying, he probably was able to find some high-power switch besides the stock of the grenades and turned the power on
In case it didn't work, Vulpen would have performed a covering fire and engage with the swarm, while aided by Haegar's guard.

Success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

Was it easy to gather so many STs on your Marines? with so much support, the formation seems unbeatable... I hope you did not find a win-win strategy in the design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfenici wrote:
Great report!

Was it easy to gather so many STs on your Marines? with so much support, the formation seems unbeatable... I hope you did not find a win-win strategy in the design!

Hi Marco!

Yes, with so much support and occasional luck with the dice, the formation was unbeatable. The fact there were only 3 Marines also helped, I think (it would be difficult to maintain mobility with 6 Marines...).

Don't treat that as a win strategy. The biggest mechanics-wise "problem" with Death Angel is the fact that events with lesser spawns are usually much, much better than others (even those with "positive" effects). This is where Death Angel shines theme-wise.

My situation with many ST was caused be those events that are easy to manage, not because of any leak with your design.

I think, if you want to test your expansion properly, you should consider either allowing only events with major spawns or events with minor spawns, not both. Ideally, you could test out the expansion only against a deck of major spawns and then compare it to a deck of minor spawns. I've noticed that most of my games, where lesser spawns are in majority, are won with maybe 1 or 2 Marine losses. This applies to Blood Angels as well as to Wolf Guard. It can be observed that when you win, your event discard pile is usually bigger than while you lose when reaching the last location and being close to beating the game. More events mean lesser spawns with each of them... What do you think? Does my observation make any sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.