Subject: 8 player games and 9th strategy card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a question to those that have 8 player game experience.

Do you regularly add a 9th SC or not? I can see the appeal of a 9th SC, and the extra choice it gives, but having just 8 SCs ensures they are all in play every round, which is also very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 8-player games 3-4 times a year, our other games during the year tend to be 6-7 players.

We do not add a 9th SC, if we did, it would just be Warfare II (SC# 6-II, Warfare would be SC# 6-I).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
SFRR wrote:
We play 8-player games 3-4 times a year, our other games during the year tend to be 6-7 players.

We do not add a 9th SC, if we did, it would just be Warfare II (SC# 6-II, Warfare would be SC# 6-I).

Is that because you prefer knowing that all SCs will be used or you don't particularly care for any of the SC#9 card options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the strategy of the game is what strategy cards are NOT chosen in a round. That can be an important element of game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley A Wilkins Jr MD
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dr. Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
At Gen-Con and Origins we play with either an additional Warfare card or a card called "Versatility"

VERSATILITY
As an action choose 3 of the following:
1. Receive 2 Trade Goods
2. Receive 1 Action Cards
3. Receive 1 Command Counter
4. Receive 1 Resource Worth of Free Units in a System You Control
5. Exhaust 1 Non-Home System PlanetCard Controlled by an Opponent
6. Look at the Top Card of the Objective Deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm toying around with this #9:

[that's an infinity sign, not an 8]

I'm torn between the simplicity of not having a secondary to prevent analysis paralysis, versus having a weak but interesting secondary to keep options interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
SFRR wrote:

Is that because you prefer knowing that all SCs will be used or you don't particularly care for any of the SC#9 card options?

Both, we've never found a 9th SC we actually like, and having all 8 SC's in play for an 8 player game is actually fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 8-player game with one change in SC:

#8 received an extra rule in the Primary section.
- You can now spend 1 influence to change the rotation (order) in which the SC are picked in the Strategy Phase.

I've taken out the card with rotation arrows from Eclipse (clockwise / anti-clockwise) to remind us about the current order.

To be frank, it was only used 3 or 4 times throughout the 16 hour long game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find 8 player game great because everything gets taken. I am not a fan of 9 strat cards simply due to the fact that the 8 cards from SE works so well together.

For the record i almost always play 4 or 8 players, since most of my games are from the WBC tournaments.

I do not like changing the order of the pick that is suggested by Jarek. Manipulating the order of selection is an essential part of the game and giving the power to any player to mess with it, especially for as cheap as 1 influence is crazy bad. This should be done above board thru deals for planets or trade goods, not unilaterally by the guy who already has the most powerful strat card in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
Part of the strategy of the game is what strategy cards are NOT chosen in a round. That can be an important element of game play.

This is actually not true. Some cards are more important than others especially late game. I find that cards that tend to get less useful late game (like trade and tech for example) will sit there forever and not get taken.

The important part of the strat cards is getting the correct one at the correct time NOT what one gets left on the board. If you are counting on trade or tech getting to you in the end game you are doing it wrong.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Initiative with the SE cards (it goes before Leadership), and that's worked pretty well for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very interesting. Thanks for all the feedback. I had been looking to add a #9 SC to my next game (one on these boards called Affinity looked good), however, having all 8SCs in play could make for an nice dynamic too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 8 we use all 8 of the regular (well SE/Shards) strategy cards. I've got a large pool of TI players though and we've worked up (and played with) more than 8 players. I posted up what we did in the files section, it has two more strategy cards that might suit your needs that we found were reasonably balanced against the other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.