Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: What a fantastic game! Why didn't I back!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played my third session of KDM. It was our third attempt at a campaign and we played until the sixth year in four hours. What a ride! We lost two survivors during the prologue, but we were lucky and rolled for 10 more. Yay! No, murder, rivalry, 1-2 survivors dying during every showdown, terrible rolls during intimacy events..... After the first year we became paranoid and started innovating things that would help us with our population and the deck was generous in this regard. Our surviviors started breeding like crazy. In turn, we started to grimly joke that the time spent in the hovel is the only respite for the people in our settlement. Long story short, cannibalism started paying off. More murder and now the butcher is knocking at our door. Only four survivors left to greet him.

It was a hell of a fight. He marked my character almost from the beginning, destroyed her lantern and after the third round she was reduced to trying to desperately run away while patching herself up. She survived three hack cities while the others were desperately trying to slay the foul beast! She ended up disembowled , but alive. To add insult to injury the Butcher exploded leaving us nothing.Only three surviors fit for a hunt....doesn't matter nobody can depart this year.... Next session we will push our luck and will try a level 2 lion. Yolo! Nothing to lose.

It was a blast! We laughed at the absurdity, cheered each other, our survivors achieved inhuman feats, the emergent narrative weaving stories of triumph and tragedy from random events and coincidence....all of this in only 4 hours. Well done Poots!

I cancelled my pledge because of what turned out to be a bunch of stupid rationalisations. I am a bit sad, but I didn't have the above session under my belt and I couldn't have known that the game would provide us with so much fun and excitement. Thankfully,we have borrowed a copy for at least few months and I desperately hope that there would be some stock on KDM's store when the kickstarter starts to ship. It is difficult to forgive myself for not backing the game when I had the chance though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be some core boxes and expansion reprints available for the next Black Friday to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst there will be PLENTY of people trying to prey on such regret with outlandish "buy my pledge" offers, I think it's also fair to say a Kickstarter of this magnitude will, by it's scale, produce a healthy retail stock of all items too.

And I dare say, as games arrive, less opportunistic people may wish to sell their base sets / other pledge items. And with no KS exclusives / extras in them, the value of base sets will be necessarily less than retail price.

E.g. good things will come to those who wait !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact the creator and see if you can back late.

Also, of course, keep playing your friend's copy! Remember the days when you didn't have to own a copy of a game before you played it? Nowadays, I think if you don't own the game, they break your door down and do things to your cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Freelunchpirate wrote:
I cancelled my pledge because of what turned out to be a bunch of stupid rationalisations.

$250-$2500 isn't a stupid rationalization. meeple

But yes, I'm glad I re-upped my Satan pledge after dropping it 3 days before the Kickstarter ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I think folks that produce videos of game play are better then reviewers in my book. Seeing others play (when you can't l) is much better then the opinion of another persons experience.

Sorry your missed out but as mentioned above don't feed the poachers wait till Poots has the game back in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe in a thing called Death
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to stress how important it is not to feed poachers. Shame to all that do. shake***SHAME***shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
You can preorder it from fantasywelt.de at the retail price of 360€.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manny
msg tools
Wow! A retailer! That is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Tullis wrote:

I really wouldn't trust this site, but that's just me. There's no official link to Kingdom Death, and if it's on preorder from the Kickstarter for retail price... I would wait it out, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Whilst there will be PLENTY of people trying to prey on such regret with outlandish "buy my pledge" offers, I think it's also fair to say a Kickstarter of this magnitude will, by it's scale, produce a healthy retail stock of all items too.

And I dare say, as games arrive, less opportunistic people may wish to sell their base sets / other pledge items. And with no KS exclusives / extras in them, the value of base sets will be necessarily less than retail price.

E.g. good things will come to those who wait !
I'm not opportunistic, but I do want to sell JUST the pinups from my pledge. Reduces the burden of the pledge and benefits me, y'know? But I'd never do it for more than the KS value, even if everything was out of print. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
mattonyx wrote:
I really wouldn't trust this site, but that's just me. There's no official link to Kingdom Death, and if it's on preorder from the Kickstarter for retail price... I would wait it out, personally.

I'm under the the impression that fantasywelt is a big wellknown german site, have ordered from there myself a couple of times with no problems.

But there maybe a chance to get kdm cheaper on black friday from the official store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattonyx wrote:
Tullis wrote:

fantasywelt.de is a reliable source.

I ordered stuff there several times without any complains.

If they sell games via preorder it means they plan to have them in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
They could also have secured some retail lantern pledges, so they are reselling "almost" at MSRP (MSRP is 400$, so it's currently 380 euros plus expenses). It is actually a very welcome thing to do.

But yes, there is still chance that you will get some sort of discount from the shop if you wait long enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

I won't be feeding the poachers. I have an almost physical aversion to this particular practice. Buying from the KDM store would be ideal and I am more than glad that there seem to be indications that I would be able to do so. Maybe I should plan few days off around black friday so I can stare at their site in anticipation.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.morton wrote:
mattonyx wrote:
Tullis wrote:

fantasywelt.de is a reliable source.

I ordered stuff there several times without any complains.

If they sell games via preorder it means they plan to have them in stock.

I can also confirm that fantasywelt.de is a reliable site. I spent over 1.500 EUR (on board games, miniatures, paint etc.) there in the last year and have several games preordered.

They probably went for the retail pledge, which they've also done with Dark Souls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
And that is actually a good thing, if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Dosher
msg tools
Now I dont know if this is against the rules to post this. But if poots does open a pledge manager, there could be a small chance that some one could be able to add an extra core game for you. Now I know he has already put in the order for core games. But its worth it if you know some one who might have pledge and he does go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkson wrote:
This is why I think folks that produce videos of game play are better then reviewers in my book. Seeing others play (when you can't l) is much better then the opinion of another persons experience.

Sorry your missed out but as mentioned above don't feed the poachers wait till Poots has the game back in stock.

I myself wouldn't even dare to buy a pledge from a stranger, for a number of reasons:

The most important one: you have ZERO guarantee that once you send the money you will be able to take over the pledge as promised.

You can say: "I will use Paypal for the moneyback guarantee". NO. Paypal does not provide any support for non-physical purchases, so you would basically be screwed no matter what.

Besides, Poots has officially stated that they do NOT support the resale of KDM-related stuff (I believe in an attempt to discourage scalpers). So long story short, you will be paying a lot of money in advance with the sole expectation of receiving the contents of the pledge months/years after you paid, with ZERO support. So whenever you have an issue with the delivered products, you would probably have to manage it via the guy who sold the pledge to you years ago. Not very trustworthy, if you ask me.

So all in all I just agree with the fellow geeks here that recommend waiting for a window of opportunity to grab a legit copy of the game on your own (i.e via a late pledge, as an addon from a friend if/when the PM opens, or directly from the KDM shop once it's available -best during Black Fridays).

Or at least wait to go to the secondary market once the product has actually arrived, so you can directly deal with the seller over a physical sale, not a virtual one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

I won't be feeding the poachers. I have an almost physical aversion to this particular practice. Buying from the KDM store would be ideal and I am more than glad that there seem to be indications that I would be able to do so. Maybe I should plan few days off around black friday so I can stare at their site in anticipation.

Cheers!

Do not underestimate the chance that Poots (as he did in the first KS) opens a window for late pledges. Keep an eye on that possibility too!

He has confirmed that he is printing several thousand extra copies of the core game, so he will probably want to sell them too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skeezy wrote:
I would also like to stress how important it is not to feed poachers. Shame to all that do. shake***SHAME***shake

I can't see what the ethical problem is with buying a game purely to resell. Why the negativity?

These aren't concert tickets that have a limited supply with hawkers buying up seats and thus preventing others from buying them.

If someone wants buy the game and take the risk that it'll go up in value than more power to them. They support the game through the initial purchase and allow others access to the game who didn't.

As for what price they charge, it's up to the buyer to decide if they want to pay the markup or not.

This model is no different to any retail model, or are the people buying the ten packs for resale also parasites destroying the poor helpless gaming community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BanksySan wrote:
Skeezy wrote:

I can't see what the ethical problem is with buying a game purely to resell. Why the negativity?

These aren't concert tickets that have a limited supply with hawkers buying up seats and thus preventing others from buying them.

If someone wants buy the game and take the risk that it'll go up in value than more power to them. They support the game through the initial purchase and allow others access to the game who didn't.

As for what price they charge, it's up to the buyer to decide if they want to pay the markup or not.

This model is no different to any retail model, or are the people buying the ten packs for resale also parasites destroying the poor helpless gaming community?

you have ZERO guarantee that once you send the money you will be able to take over the pledge as promised.

You can say: "I will use Paypal for the moneyback guarantee". NO. Paypal does not provide any support for non-physical purchases, so you would basically be screwed no matter what.

Besides, Poots has officially stated that they do NOT support the resale of KDM-related stuff (I believe in an attempt to discourage scalpers). So long story short, you will be paying a lot of money in advance with the sole expectation of receiving the contents of the pledge months/years after you paid, with ZERO support. So whenever you have an issue with the delivered products, you would probably have to manage it via the guy who sold the pledge to you years ago. Not very trustworthy, if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
BanksySan wrote:
Skeezy wrote:

you have ZERO guarantee that once you send the money you will be able to take over the pledge as promised.

Those are risks the buyers need to accept, and reasons why you probably shouldn't (IMO) buy pledges before they are delivered.

However... It doesn't make the resale morally or ethically wrong.

I really don't understand the massive hatred people have towards people who resell pledges... Live and let live people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
BanksySan wrote:
Skeezy wrote:

I'm not talking about the pledge, but if you want to then buyer beware. I'm talking about buying copies of the game in order to sell them after at a higher price.

There isn't anything ethically questionable about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
And that is actually a good thing, if you ask me.
It absolutely is. I was tempted so many times to purchase a copy for 500-800 EUR on eBay when the game was out of print. I'm glad that Retail Lanterns were offered during the Kickstarter, so people who missed it now have the chance to buy the game from a reliable FLGS or OLGS of their choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.