Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Next War: India-Pakistan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Standard Game optional rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Campbell
msg tools
mb
Hello,

A couple of questions and thoughts about the optional rules for the basic game...

- When playing with Refugees and Supply, should the reduction in road capacity affect tracing the 'contiguous line of road hexes' for supply purposes, or only for movement? I've just played Kashmir and the combination seemed to make thinga very difficult by putting the IROP straight out of supply.

- Light Infantry Infiltration is listed as suitable for the Standard Game, but the consequences for a failed infiltration include Strike markers which aren't used anywhere else in the standard game. Should the infiltrators take a step loss? Or no damage? Or something else?

- More generally, would you say any of the optional rules favour any particular side in any of the three scenarios? I would assume that across the length and breadth of Enough! They would balance out. Refugees seems to heavily favour the defender in Kashmir or Lahore due to the shorter turns. Would be interested to know your opinions on each of them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Dreckitt wrote:
Hello,

A couple of questions and thoughts about the optional rules for the basic game...

- When playing with Refugees and Supply, should the reduction in road capacity affect tracing the 'contiguous line of road hexes' for supply purposes, or only for movement? I've just played Kashmir and the combination seemed to make thinga very difficult by putting the IROP straight out of supply.


In the Standard Game, only for movement. In the Advanced Game, since supply is traced using MPs, refugees would affect that.

Quote:
- Light Infantry Infiltration is listed as suitable for the Standard Game, but the consequences for a failed infiltration include Strike markers which aren't used anywhere else in the standard game. Should the infiltrators take a step loss? Or no damage? Or something else?


They would just fail in the Standard Game.

Quote:
- More generally, would you say any of the optional rules favour any particular side in any of the three scenarios? I would assume that across the length and breadth of Enough! They would balance out. Refugees seems to heavily favour the defender in Kashmir or Lahore due to the shorter turns. Would be interested to know your opinions on each of them.


Refugees tend to favor neither side. Light Infantry Infiltration favors the IROP/PRC because of the PRC Airborne troops.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick follow up on topic of optional Standard rules, specifically the source of supplies.

Does a controlled enemy urban/city become a source of supply, or just negate its interruption to a friendly urban/city source of supply.

The rules explicitly say a controlled/captured airfield/airbase can be used as that of the controller's side, but the same is not said for a captured urban/city.

The Advanced rules seem to operate that the captured urban/city just negates the interruption of the LOC, but the Basic rules aren't written with the same wording.

I think I have convinced myself that the above interpretation is correct but just wanted to have it verified.

Further as i read it, the award of VPs for controlling airfields, towns occurs in the reorganisation phase, however watching the Youtube of Joel for Next War: Taiwan, it seems he awarded VPs immediately - which is correct please.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="ivankent"]A quick follow up on topic of optional Standard rules, specifically the source of supplies.

Does a controlled enemy urban/city become a source of supply, or just negate its interruption to a friendly urban/city source of supply.
[/q[

It becomes a source of supply. This makes up for the fact that Supply Depots, MSUs, and Supply Points aren't used in the Standard Game. This is how, in the Advanced Game, a side's logistics tail is expanded.

Quote:

Further as i read it, the award of VPs for controlling airfields, towns occurs in the reorganisation phase, however watching the Youtube of Joel for Next War: Taiwan, it seems he awarded VPs immediately - which is correct please.



Technically, this should not occur until the hex control step.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. That clears it up with the difference between Basic and Advanced.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
mb
Thanks Mitchell - I remain astounded at the speed and quality of support for this game!

One other query which slipped my mind. Suppose a PRC and IROP unit attack together. Obviously they take the +2 mod for different nationalities attacking together. Do they also take a +1 for being from different formations?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Dreckitt wrote:
Thanks Mitchell - I remain astounded at the speed and quality of support for this game!

One other query which slipped my mind. Suppose a PRC and IROP unit attack together. Obviously they take the +2 mod for different nationalities attacking together. Do they also take a +1 for being from different formations?


Yes. It makes it quite difficult for them to cooperate.

Edit: They don't really train together, and they have no protocols for doing so.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
mb
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Quote:

Further as i read it, the award of VPs for controlling airfields, towns occurs in the reorganisation phase, however watching the Youtube of Joel for Next War: Taiwan, it seems he awarded VPs immediately - which is correct please.



Technically, this should not occur until the hex control step.


Further to the above; when should the attacker gain the benefits of seized terrain features?

I understand that you don't see any benefit from a city until you've cleared it (so no column shifts, no chance to avoid retreats, and no supply source), but what about hexes which don't require clearance?

Say in the first attack of an initiative phase I take a hex with a town & airfield. At what point do I gain the -2 to ADF in the surrounding hexes and the +2 on the CRT for town & airfield - immediately, or after reorganisation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Dreckitt wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Quote:

Further as i read it, the award of VPs for controlling airfields, towns occurs in the reorganisation phase, however watching the Youtube of Joel for Next War: Taiwan, it seems he awarded VPs immediately - which is correct please.



Technically, this should not occur until the hex control step.


Further to the above; when should the attacker gain the benefits of seized terrain features?

I understand that you don't see any benefit from a city until you've cleared it (so no column shifts, no chance to avoid retreats, and no supply source), but what about hexes which don't require clearance?

Say in the first attack of an initiative phase I take a hex with a town & airfield. At what point do I gain the -2 to ADF in the surrounding hexes and the +2 on the CRT for town & airfield - immediately, or after reorganisation?


It's implied, but I'll nmake it explicit. You must control a hex to get a benefit from it except that, if under a Clearing Marker in a City or Urban hex, you can attempt to avoid retreat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
mb
(Yet) another query re:cities.

If an all-infantry stack (say opportunistic paras...) under a clearing marker for a city in flat terrain were attacked by an armour unit, would that unit gain the armour advantage multiplier? The hex contains a city which would normally negate it, but said city is not controlled...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Dreckitt wrote:
(Yet) another query re:cities.

If an all-infantry stack (say opportunistic paras...) under a clearing marker for a city in flat terrain were attacked by an armour unit, would that unit gain the armour advantage multiplier? The hex contains a city which would normally negate it, but said city is not controlled...


No, because the infantry is in the city clearing it. I thought I had that exception in there somewhere, but I guess not. I'm actually thinking of removing that entirely because it's (a) too hard to remember and (b) doesn't make sense. The units are in the terrain, so they should get a benefit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
mb
Splendid - Operation Raining Ruskies is a go! This time, Lahore shall fall... Pete, if you're reading this, this was a hypothetical question and of no relevance to our next game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.