Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can a mech walk over or land on a shard but decide not to pick it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it is forced. Sure, it might be more beneficial to leave it there, either because you are not ready for escalation or you want to leave it for another Mech, but picking up shards seems to be an automatic action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bellinger
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have no authoritative argument for why it would not be optional, except that my own experience with this game is that the potential for an uncontrolled command line via damage is indicative that something like picking up the shard would not be optional as battling against these uncontrolled actions is part of the meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For that matter, it's not an option to voluntarily drop or hand off a shard, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bellinger
United States
California
flag msg tools
Again, I'm no authority on it, but I wouldn't have an issue personally with someone electing to drop the shard if they so chose to as long as they adhered to the rules regarding how they're dropped, i.e. rolling the rune die and dropping it on that adjacent space.

Given the random nature of this, however, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say absolutely not on dropping or trading it. If a Mech early in the turn order knew it was going to take damage, it could intentionally drop the shard for another Mech to pick up. This mitigates most of the issue, as you have much more control over where that shard ends up this way.

The gams is a programming game and dealing with issues that come up when your program does something you don't want it to do is part of the game. I've been in situations where I don't want to use an attack command I have as it ruins layer Command slots, but you have to use those if you can too. This, it follows that picking up a shard should also be compulsory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking up a shard is compulsory, that is correct!

As you mention, part of the challenge is dealing with the unintended consequences of half-baked programming, and the crystal shards are no exception!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.