GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,609 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Hero Realms» Forums » Reviews

Subject: a brief review... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many of you, I have a variety of games in my collection, each with a different purpose in mind. Deck builders, engine builders, tile laying, 4x, etc. Hero Realms is a game that fills the niche of quick, engaging, and light. It is a great game to teach to nongamers, and the theme fits well with the mechanics.

This game is produced by the same company that created Star Realms and Epic. I find it to be better than both of those games. At first, I compared it to Star Realms, because it is essentially the same game in terms of mechanics. However, it does differ, and it feels streamlined in some respects. The color synergies still exist, and they do provide you with a definite bonus. For example, you might play a red card that does 3 damage, but does another 2 damage if there is another red card in play. This is also one of the key elements of Star Realms. However, what I find to be slightly different is that though the color synergies are there, there are other synergies present as well. For example, some cards are "champions". These are creatures that remain on the table unlike actions that are discarded as soon as you play them. There are champions that do additional effects if other champions are present.

With that in mind, a winning strategy is making the most of your short-term options and forging a deck that works together, taking advantage of color and non-color synergies. It's challenging, and it's enticing, making the most of bad choices at times, and taking cards you don't want your opponents to have.

I love Star Realms, but I wasn't struck by Epic. Epic is a blatant reiteration of Magic the Gathering, and that's not a bad thing, but the game felt lacking in a way. As I see it now, Hero Realms is a blend of Star Realms and Epic, and it really works. While Hero Realms will not be a good candidate for a deep thinking game with a long term strategy where you construct an engine based on a single mechanism. Where is works is a game of reacting, stealing the best opportunistic options, and over the course, you form a series of mini-engines attempting to seam them together in a greater whole.

That being said, the game is about 15 minutes long, and afterwards, you'll want to play again. Then again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistergarner1 wrote:
However, what I find to be slightly different is that though the color synergies are there, there are other synergies present as well. For example, some cards are "champions". These are creatures that remain on the table unlike actions that are discarded as soon as you play them. There are champions that do additional effects if other champions are present.

That is present in Star Realms too. There are cards that have additional abilities that trigger when certain number of bases are present. There are also bases that trigger when you play another base. There are other more subtle synergies too so it's not just about colors like you would seem to suggest here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point conceded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But to be fair, that aspect of Star Realms was mostly built up through expansions and promo cards and was not very present in the original game aside from the famous Embassy Shuttle card. I think a lot of the increased base interactions in Star Realms vastly improved the game over time so I'm not surprised to see them take a similar approach right out the gate with Hero Realms.

My understanding is that Hero Realms is still pretty close to Star Realms mechanically, but is trying to leverage the fantasy theme to create a larger game system with more ways to play and more diversity. I did find the campaign on the Star Realms app to be a lot of fun and I think Hero Realms also looks to be taking some of those elements such as varying starting decks and leveraging them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.