GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,033 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fighting art limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus Silver
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am afraid the answer of this question and plz answer if you know for sure. When you gain a new fighting art from an event etc. and you already have 3 can you not take it and keep the 3 you have? Or you are obligated to take the new one and dump an old one. Thing is that i have a Bitter berser guy with berseker, kings step, and fire fist and i stupidily chose him for phoenix feather and his result says gain the crazed fighting art. What do you say?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the rules do say "must replace". And this is certainly a game where I can imagine some less-than-stellar or even detrimental fighting arts existing as gotchas, to junk you up a bit.

I think you're basically stuck unless you want to outright house rule it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you are forced to pick the new one, discarding an old one of your choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a real dumb question but why is there even a limt of fighting arts a a survivor can learn?

Do the survivor get overpowered?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
well, the game is already fiddly like that. It will happen that you will forget the lesser ones during a showdown, the only time that they would have mattered. An hard limit of 3 is a good way to keep things manageable.

Other than that, there is the fact that the game design wants you to care for the settlement, not for the survivor. It is a good way to make every individual progress impermanent.

Finally, with 1.5 changes, where so much a big deal of "sculpting" a fighting art has been made, this mechanism shines: if your settlement has evolved in a way that lets you retain the important fighting arts, you get a chance to have them how you want them, otherwise, you have probably chosen other innovations and keeping f.arts should not be your strong suit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Yeah, you are forced to pick the new one, discarding an old one of your choice.


Just a note on this. Yes a survivor can only have 3 fighting arts maximum including secret fighting arts and 3 disorders.

Glossary entry for fighting arts reads:
...Additional fighting arts gained replace a fighting art of your choice.

Glossary entry for disorders reads:
...Additional disorders gained must replace a disorder of your choice.

Therefore a 4th fighting art gained on a survivor may replace one you already have otherwise it is lost.
This makes sense as your epic survivor with 3 secret fighting arts who then gains Lure Epilepsy doesn't force you to replace one of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting I wonder if Adam has ever commented on this. I am now questioning how I've always played this rule!

Edit: poor auto correct / spelling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, not that big a deal. That survivor will eventually get Murdered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathJester23 wrote:
Glossary entry for fighting arts reads:
...Additional fighting arts gained replace a fighting art of your choice.

Glossary entry for disorders reads:
...Additional disorders gained must replace a disorder of your choice.

Therefore a 4th fighting art gained on a survivor may replace one you already have otherwise it is lost.
This makes sense as your epic survivor with 3 secret fighting arts who then gains Lure Epilepsy doesn't force you to replace one of them.


I don't think you can assume a 'may' just from a lack of 'must'. There's nothing in that sentence that indicates it's optional. When you acquire a new fighting art, the wording is generally "you gain a fighting art", and according to that glossary entry, once you've gained it, it replaces one of your old ones, period.

Plus, page 44: "Survivors can have up to 3 fighting arts. Any further fighting arts gained must replace an existing fighting art of your choice." (emphasis mine)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Whoo another contradiction. Seems silly but RAW is indeed fighting arts get replaced without a choice. Meaning your survivor with 3 secret arts wants to actively avoid gaining fighting arts which likely when you Age up... bleh.

Anyway, play RAW or however you like. I'm gonna throw this one in the discard, along with "a one armed survivor can use paired weapons".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by 'contradiction' here, it seems pretty straightforward to me? But it's your game so house-rule it however you want, certainly.

As for paired weapons, nahhhh that's not hard, dude just straps it to the stump pirate-style. There's a guy in the Blade of the Immortal manga who whittles the exposed bone of his severed arm to a point so he can stab with it, so this isn't even weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathJester23 wrote:
t3clis wrote:
Yeah, you are forced to pick the new one, discarding an old one of your choice.


Just a note on this. Yes a survivor can only have 3 fighting arts maximum including secret fighting arts and 3 disorders.

Glossary entry for fighting arts reads:
...Additional fighting arts gained replace a fighting art of your choice.

Glossary entry for disorders reads:
...Additional disorders gained must replace a disorder of your choice.

Therefore a 4th fighting art gained on a survivor may replace one you already have otherwise it is lost.
This makes sense as your epic survivor with 3 secret fighting arts who then gains Lure Epilepsy doesn't force you to replace one of them.



Absence of must does not imply the existence of may.

Rules as Written- you gain the new fighting art and discard an old one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.