GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Great Dinosaur Rush» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unfinished Dinosaur Bonus Cards in Family variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartek Szopka
msg tools
mbmb
It doesn't seem to be clarified in the rule book (at least in Polish version), but how should unfinished bonus cards be scored in Family variant (that doesn't have Notoriety).

Rulebook doesn't say anything, so one could assume that unfinished bonus cards don't have any penalty, but playing in such a way leads to players gathering huge amounts of bonus cards to allow score multiples.

In the end we simply decided by keep 3 points penalty for unfinished cards, just not use it as Notoriety score, but simply treat it as negative points for any player who has unfinished bonus cards.

Is there any official clarification of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Hopefully, I can get confirmation on this answer shortly. If I recall correctly there is no penalty for unfinished bonus cards. Btw, when the deck runs out it is out. There is no reshuffling of completed bonus cards back in the deck. This does become a very popular action in the family variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for following up, Shawn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the regular rules, incomplete bonus cards counts as 3 notoriety points. However, in the Family variant players do not gain notoriety so there is no impact for incomplete bonus cards. Like you pointed out, this could lead to a large collection of bonus cards with no consequence, which can be fun for kids so I understand why they did the rules that way. My kids are 11 and 9 and we played with normal rules... they quickly learned the potential risk of taking the research action too many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Szopka
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the clarifications.

As you mentioned - having no penalty seems to make the 'take new bonus card' a bit too powerful and overused, but it's true that it can make game easier for kids, so I guess that's simply the flavour of family variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.