Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space» Forums » Rules

Subject: Open Communications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can Aliens reveal themselves, and then openly discuss which exact spots to be on? On smaller maps, it seemed like the way to totally lock down escape pods, and avoiding themselves from eating each other, giving the humans no chance at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Players may not voluntarily reveal their loyalty cards. They may claim to be Aliens - but human players can do so too in order to better sneak out.

Further, any communication between players must be public, so when the Aliens coordinate, the human players can listen in and use that to their advantage.

For most of the game, it's in most players' advantage to appear as the opposite of what they are: Aliens pretending to be Humans to not seem like a threat, and Humans pretending to be Aliens to not be hunted. Both sides benefit from knowing who is on their side and coordinating, but also lose opportunities to subterfuge and surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ye Hern Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you can announce attack early in the game?
Discussion among players are discouraged, 'accidents' are an important part of the game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ye Hern Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filip_FH wrote:
Players may not voluntarily reveal their loyalty cards. They may claim to be Aliens - but human players can do so too in order to better sneak out.

Further, any communication between players must be public, so when the Aliens coordinate, the human players can listen in and use that to their advantage.

For most of the game, it's in most players' advantage to appear as the opposite of what they are: Aliens pretending to be Humans to not seem like a threat, and Humans pretending to be Aliens to not be hunted. Both sides benefit from knowing who is on their side and coordinating, but also lose opportunities to subterfuge and surprise

Hmm...good point, I guess communication in this game is much like in 'Werewolves'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ideally, in the spirit of the game, that's how it is, but on smaller maps, the aliens are at an advantage, they can block up certain paths by announcing what they are (of course by attacking) and then just loiter around corridors to shut the humans off. So especially when a human players escape, but finds that the pod is down, and every other escape route are blocked off, they can only concede.

Hence, back to the question: Are aliens allowed to actually coordinate where they are going to move openly, because if they are not, there's still chances where accidents happen, if they are, basically the smarter alien can alpha game and create the perfect scenario that the humans can't escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ye Hern Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, given that you must move every round, I don't see how you can effectively shut off a corridor, you wouldn't know if we are in the same room, and if you attack on every turn back and forth on 2 tiles(corridor), your pattern would be obvious and avoidable.

Pray tell, what is the exact scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Garibaldi 6 players

all 3 human players without discussing ended up on the same right side of the board (exit 2 & 4) aliens players realized, started coordinating their every moves to ensure nobody will accidentally eat each other, human player A managed to exit at 2, human player B tried on 4 and it failed, only exit is at 1 & 3, aliens player managed to corner the human player B that is stuck at exit 4, giving him no chance of escape, and the human player C has to concede, exit 1 & 3 is too far away, and aliens player are just coordinating and loitering in the corridor in between.

In this scenario, only chance that the final player has an opportunity is if that there was a rule that the aliens player are not allowed to coordinate their moves, and the only way to reveal their moves to each other is attacking and announcing where they are.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Har

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a unique situation to me though. In most games I've played, the human players tend to avoid clumping for that very reason (to avoid it becoming a food-herd that has to sprint for too few pods in that corner/side). For that matter, most players I've played with tend to stay away from everyone for as long as possible, since no one knows for sure who is or isn't an alien until there's been a few attacks. That map (Galvani?) also seems a little unique to me in that there isn't a lot of room to maneuver, especially if the cards make you broadcast your location every time. Which is also more bad luck. But in a game with luck factors, sometimes you just get beaten by luck (everybody went to your side AND they beat you to the pods AND one of the pods broke AND you're on a map with only two or three corridors to the other side AND you had to broadcast your actual location repeatedly is all combined a REALLY bad run of luck).

As somebody else noted, the aliens shouldn't be communicating secretly, so maybe the human could use that information to sneak past one, or even get one to attack the other?

Overall, I look at your situation like this: If somebody had to run across a whole spaceship (let's call it, say... "the Nostromo"), past two very hostile aliens (let's call them "Aliens"), via a hallway that is about six feet wide, they'd have to get REALLY lucky to sneak past both, but more than likely, they're already dead.

Personally, I wouldn't look to change the rules based on this, but do make sure that the aliens are communicating openly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ye Hern Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...with identity revealed and coordination and being the only target, that does seem quite hopeless.
But I think we should limit the frequency of attacks rather than their coordination, that should prevent aliens doing carpet bombing.

The worst scenario I can think of here is the human being stuck in a corner like Q10 and 3 aliens continuously attacking the 3 sectors he can go to, which seems rather unrealistic.

Or are the aliens using 2 to attack somewhere like N09 & N10 continuously and let the third one go trying to sniff out the food?

How exactly are the aliens coordinating their attacks in your game?

But then again, 3 aliens should just play a bigger map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, cause as far as I know, human players can't coordinate their locations cause, well they will be eaten. Of the few games I've played, we already had several games where humans often seem to be going else where but only to find someone taking the ship right in front of them, all is good, except the next pod is too far away they usually just concede to not let the escaped human player be waiting for the game to go on forever. That's the reason why we picked a map that has all the pods closer to each other, 4 pods mean at least 6 players can do it, and have equal chances of escaping, no point designing a map that has 4 pods meant for less players, I believe. So I guess you could say, every time I played this game, my players just had bad run of lucks then.

Anyways, thanks I guess, it seems it's agreed that aliens are allowed to communicate openly, alpha player-Ing and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ye Hern Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this game certainly could use a lot of polishing.

Not that it matter but if you really want to think in terms of ship design, shouldn't the number of the escape pod be the sum of the human and ex-human? But of course you shouldn't trouble yourself with this unnecessary restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lol, you are saying that every map is designed for exactly 4 players or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ye Hern Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laughWell, that is, if one were to consider from the ship design angle.
(is there really no maps with more than 4 pods?)

But seriously though, you should enforce house rules as you see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tan
msg tools
YHGan wrote:
I suppose you can announce attack early in the game?
Discussion among players are discouraged, 'accidents' are an important part of the game too.

Have anyone tried with a houserule that in the first 3 turns, an Alien cannot do an attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.