Subject: Do you get your moneys worth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All,

I'm considering buying Mansions of Madness and was wondering how much play time you get out of the 4 scenarios. For the price of the game this seemed to be quite a low amount. Is there much replayability with them? I know they are different room and monster wise each time but is that enough to make it appealing to replay?

Also do you think it is worth buying the physical expansions? I'm not so sure as they don't add scenarios and to me that may be what the game is lacking.

Never played so I am assuming the above re low number of scenarios, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Slater
Canada
flag msg tools
Always the question of money's worth and replayability.

Yes, I do believe I got my money's worth. I've replayed the scenarios a few times already, and will replay them with other people and solo. They're a ton of fun, and it's very atmospheric.

As for the expansions, I'm not sure. I own both of the figure and tile sets, and they're awfully expensive for what you get. They might turn out to be amazing additions once new scenarios are added and they add new variations, but it's hard to say. They're not bad, but right now, IMO, they're expensive for what they are - some new variations on the current scenarios, and a scenario each. Had they come with three or four scenarios each with variations, then I'd say they were worth it.

The new expansion looks quite good - reasonably priced and with two new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Boulter
United Kingdom
Bristol
UK
flag msg tools
badge
knowledge is power
mbmbmbmbmb

I have 2nd Ed only and have played many times (10+), yet to tackle the hardest scenario. Variation in scenarios is not huge, different location, etc. but enough to make a difference.

So VFM seems reasonable.

It seems to me that the base set is the 'core' for the series. I assume that later expansions will utilise the core set pieces, ergo increase the VFM. Whether that increases the variation I do not know.

But that comes at a cost, of the new expansion, etc.

The concept seems similar (?) to FFG's Living Card Game.

LCG is £25 core set, £12 per single scenario (30+ cards), £25 per Deluxe (3 scenarios; 100+ cards).

So the overall cost for MoM is a lot higher.

You pays your money and makes your choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RowleyBirkinQC wrote:
Hi All,

I'm considering buying Mansions of Madness and was wondering how much play time you get out of the 4 scenarios. For the price of the game this seemed to be quite a low amount. Is there much replayability with them? I know they are different room and monster wise each time but is that enough to make it appealing to replay?

Also do you think it is worth buying the physical expansions? I'm not so sure as they don't add scenarios and to me that may be what the game is lacking.

There are several threads already discussing these topics in detail. Since opinions wildly differ, I would advise you to read them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
They are replayable, just not as much fun the second time around. Most of us still find them enjoyable enough the second or third time, but for those who the narrative is the major draw they're obviously not.

Then there are people who don't enjoy playing the scenarios more than once, but enjoy that one play enough that it's worth it regardless (and it certainly is a unique experience different to what you get in any other game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like I've got value I think because we already had 1st ed along with Forbidden Alchemy and Call of the Wild. So we had a lot to work with. And we hadn't played MoM in so long because of the crazy setup time and the family not loving the Keeper role. So we were prime targets and ripe for the pickin's. I don't know that it would feel the same with the 2nd ed base game only. And not having that sour taste after 1st ed playthroughs to make the new experience that much sweeter, which it is.

As to multiple plays of of scenarios, my son and I have played Cycle of Eternity 3 times. The first was basically just to get the hang of the game. The second time, the whole family joined in for the real experience. And the third time we just wanted to see how different, if at all, it would be. I can say for us the game changes after the first play. It seems it becomes more strategy and less theme because of already knowing some of the clues and situations. But it didn't really change the fun factor. I like the seemingly more strategic aspect. And the app does change up the scenario enough for it to stay somewhat fresh. But keep in mind, that's using all available components from the core, 1st ed, FA and CotW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
i was skeptical myself and even wrote a thread here wonder about it's replayability.

it's a pretty fun game. i do think more could be done to make scenarios more replayable. but overall, this is a really good first attempt at a game like this.

i don't believe it's worth $100, but i don't feel burned or whatever. i'm guessing partly that they're recouping some of the cost for developing the app, which probably wasn't cheap. hopefully they've got a good framework in place now where future games in this vein can be done cheaper.

however, i do feel a little chapped about the expansions they're already selling with new minis and tiles. clearly, they can generate waaaaaay more content with the base game, but instead they're choosing to milk physical expansions. i really love the idea of being able to buy more digital scenarios for a lowish price right from within the app. i wish there were more options to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering we played this game more than any other game in 2016, we got our value's worth. I've replayed every scenario at least twice, and as long as we have new players, we play it even more. It's really fun to experience the game with new players.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it 6 times. One was a replay and one was a tile pack remake of a first edition campaign. I would say at least 2 of the missions are replayable. Plenty of variations to how they can be laid out and the meta knowledge doesn't help too much. One mission is only $5 more and is definitely worth it. We have 1 base game mission to go and I would say I got my money's worth outta it and then some. And the last mission we have yet to go is the suuuuuuper mission so we're going to get plenty of playtime outta it. Combine that with the new expansion I'm going to get soon and we're loving it.

That being said, the tile packs are of highly questionable value. Recurring Nightmares provides alternate setups for 2 of the missions which is alright but the DLC despite taking place in a mansions too has no alternate version so it's use seems to be at an end. Suppressed Memorie's tiles only get used ONCE, for it's own campaign. At let me tell you, these remakes of first edition campaigns are not anywhere near as interesting as the second edition campaigns. They don't use the app to their advantage much and are mostly madly paced rushes through swarms and swarms of enemies guns a blazin'.

So while monster variety is appreciated, once again it doesn't seem to come up in the DLC campaign so I wonder how much use they'll actually see going forward. So far the best thing the tiles packs have done for our group is just provide a plethora of character options.

EDIT:
I found the DLC campaign DOES have variations that use the tilepack tiles. I did not test far enough to see the tiles used in my original analysis so I did not realize based on the first few tiles that they came up. Sorry for the misinformation. I am officially happier with my tilepack purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
RowleyBirkinQC wrote:
Is there much replayability with them?

That's very subjective, in my experience they have no replayability. Not
if you want your friends to be willing to play games with you again anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the game won't please everyone, but I've been very impressed with how well it's gone over with everybody I play with. I have about a dozen friends that I tend to play games with and they've all loved it, and have even replayed it (especially when we fail a given mission), and have all said they'd play it again, even the same missions. So YMMV, but this has by far been one of the most replayable games in my library.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it deserves spot in so many collections. I consider to add it to mine also, and already arranged a try-out with a friend of mine before dedicating $$ to MoM2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.