Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone see any reason why a marine vs marine, first to 3 frags variant (played on a small map) wouldn't work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
Can't see a reason why it wouldn't. Could even have weapon picks-up be dropped on death so you become more of a target when you pick up bigger weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few issues I can think of
-The chainsaw lowers enemy stagger values, but as of now Marines have no stagger.
-Weapons like the Rocket Launcher or BFG or the Super Shotgun (I think) are all about doing splash damage, which isn't really valuable in a 1 v 1 game.
-I'm not sure how inconvenient grenades would be against a single Marine.

But you could come up with variant rules for that stuff. Maybe weapons with splash damage can target an empty space and do splash from there. This could let you conceivably attack people hiding around corners (although the current line of sight system lets you do that anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
Can't see a reason why it wouldn't. Could even have weapon picks-up be dropped on death so you become more of a target when you pick up bigger weapons.

Yeah the same thought occurred to me, you would have to change the rules regarding being fragged though. I.e. you would have to remove all the extra weapon cards from your deck and then re-shuffle yourself a fresh one.

As for the other weapons most would be fine, and any that aren't could simply not be included in the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
-The chainsaw lowers enemy stagger values, but as of now Marines have no stagger.

Interesting point about stagger values, there's no reason you couldn't give them all a stagger value. 8 feels about right to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
davidryanandersson wrote:

Interesting point about stagger values, there's no reason you couldn't give them all a stagger value. 8 feels about right to me?

If I recall correctly, all demons have a stagger value of [Health -2] and the "Execution" Event card that lets a demon effectively "Glory Kill" a marine says it can target a marine with 8+ damage, so I think that's a fair number to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, these issues aren't impossible to get around. Stagger for Marines sounds good. If you did a FFA or team deathmatch the rockets and BFG could be more useful. I also like the idea that you drop your weapons every time you die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony S
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really enjoy Dooms multiplayer so didn't play a lot and may be incorrect, but their is no stagger or chainsaw.

We'd need some custom pickups for power ups and demon pick ups. You could do the class thing from the game too I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Green
msg tools
Rolling two black and two red per shot is more than enough for me to not miss splash damage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Green
msg tools
My hope: they release proper expansions a couple times a year and the first giving us proper death match rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.