Hide
9 Posts

Flamme Rouge» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Don't mock me. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Twort
msg tools
So, I love cycling. I really enjoy this game, but I have been beaten in all 3 runs so far. One game my sprinter ran out of cards (I have seen the other threads on this...) !

I have been beaten by my 13yr old son, 11 year old daughter and my wife, and I am really trying to get my riders to work together. Watching how it plays out, I don't see the other 3 players using team tactics.

So I can help us all get more tactically aware (and so I don't have the shame of losing again), what are the basic tactical moves, other than trying to get your Rouleur to give your Sprinter some free moves in draft? I always seem to get blocked when I try to be tactical, someone gets into my draft space before round end!

We play a lot of board games as a family, of varying levels, but I am struggling on this one to play a good game, still love it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things to try:

Use 7s and 9s on downhill slopes, especially near the end of a race. You'll catch the pack off guard, and hopefully be able to keep the pace til the end.

Go slower - its surprising how often you can play a 2 or 3 and not lose the pack. On big straights, you can usually play a 7 or 9 to catch up if it goes wrong.

Try and plan when to use your big cards before starting - if there's a large straight, it's well worth using them there if you can keep your guys together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other things to try:
Don't play with your children and wife: they will gang together to beat/block dad.

[full disclosure: the author is a dad in a dad-blocking-family*]

* except while playing dice games; then we block mom whose dice-luck is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just some random thoughts:

Early to mid-game, if you're in the front or middle of a pack, slow down. You really don't want to take exhaustions early.

It's often better to keep your 2 cyclists back to back (1 in front of the other). You don't get any free moves, but you avoid getting blocked.

If your 2 cyclists are in front mid-game, that's a good time to both play high. Ideal is rouleur in front playing 7 and sprinter behind him playing 9. If no one else played high, you can then keep up the pace and try to gain free moves without danger of an opponent squeezing between.

Sprinter should save a 9 for the finish, and 5's for ascents.

You want to get over ascents as soon as possible, even if it means playing a 6 or 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Twort
msg tools
Ryan Keane wrote:
Just some random thoughts:

Early to mid-game, if you're in the front or middle of a pack, slow down. You really don't want to take exhaustions early.

It's often better to keep your 2 cyclists back to back (1 in front of the other). You don't get any free moves, but you avoid getting blocked.

If your 2 cyclists are in front mid-game, that's a good time to both play high. Ideal is rouleur in front playing 7 and sprinter behind him playing 9. If no one else played high, you can then keep up the pace and try to gain free moves without danger of an opponent squeezing between.

Sprinter should save a 9 for the finish, and 5's for ascents.

You want to get over ascents as soon as possible, even if it means playing a 6 or 7.

Yeah this is kinda how I have been playing it - have to say though, sometimes the cards are not kind!

/thatsmyexcuse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of how good you get at this game, there is still luck at the end of the day. Both luck in what you and others draw, and luck in whether or not you correctly deduce when others play what they do. But you can learn to read other players, and you can learn to read the 'board'. There are certain 'positions' that are simply more prone to attacks, and others that are very dead.
Plus it isn't an endless pond of strategic depth like chess or go. For very adept boardgame veterans (we all know them), you can 'max' out your understanding of it within a reasonable amount of plays. However, the game relies on a lot of bluffing and second guessing, so it can't be 'solved'.

Of course getting the actual read of the whole 'scoreboard' is very hard. You can't simply look at the board. You have to track all of the following that aren't made apparent for you: Gained slipstreams, blocked moves, lost mountain moves, gained descends, exhaustion and starting position (most people seem to forget halfway through...).

I've originally written a brief article on this, but your question prompted me to add more to it. Please consider thumbing the thread and commenting in it, particularly thumbing the top of the post, as it makes it easier for other users to find

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23972924#23972924

Happy racing
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't ask me, guv! I love this game, but I'm not terribly good at it (these two things may not be unrelated). I can consistently finish second, but I rarely win, despite employing mos of the obvious advice above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised that the game get this high points.

I really hoped it would be great, it sure does look beautiful.

But further from that it is not so tactical or strategic as it can be, and very repetitive ... I think with a few rules changes it could be a lot better ... any ideas on this? Or an expansion with different rules?

And a missed chance to give more difference on the two riders, on the playerboard and the riders itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlliantieAJ wrote:
I'm really surprised that the game get this high points.

I really hoped it would be great, it sure does look beautiful.

But further from that it is not so tactical or strategic as it can be, and very repetitive ... I think with a few rules changes it could be a lot better ... any ideas on this? Or an expansion with different rules?

And a missed chance to give more difference on the two riders, on the playerboard and the riders itself.

Have a look at the trait cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.