GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,916 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Variants

Subject: Please help me decide between Radjaks RAIV and AE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one would you suggest for solo play and why?
Maybe even someone experienced both?
Are both up to date? Will they both be continued to support Jabba?
Do they share some of the same cards or do they have different mission cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played with both, and would choose RAIV all the way. It's considerably less fiddly and flows much better/faster.

- They're both up to date through Obi-Wan/Greedo/Inquisitor.

- Jabba support will almost certainly be coming.

- They use the same mission cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that was quick! Thank you a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
I would say RAIV, too. I have enjoyed it much more than the RAEV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing my first campaign with RAIV just now. Not tried RAEV. Really enjoying RAIV! Although I'm sure I'm not playing it 100% right (Rebels constantly winning...), I really enjoy the AI in this variant. Took me a couple of rereads of the rules and still have them nearby, but overall very enjoyable. And since I'm the only one playing, who cares for a couple of mistakes, as long as you're having a good time. Probably will start a new campaign using the other half of the 6 rebel heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing I fear is exactly what you wrote Wouter. Rebels constantly winning. Is it too easy for the rebels? Can other players confirm that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think rebels constantly winning is because of me not playing 100% correct. But what I said, I'm enjoying myself. Furthermore, the Learn to Play Guide has some examples for making the game harder. Haven't tried those yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels should be constantly winning, it's a very predictable and dumb AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
amanwing wrote:
Only thing I fear is exactly what you wrote Wouter. Rebels constantly winning. Is it too easy for the rebels? Can other players confirm that?

I have been playing it with my 3 kids and I have to say that it is very difficult for us. So far in our campaign we have won 2 and lost 2. We just barely won our last mission. If you read Redjak's rules, the last page tells you how you can increase or decrease the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwpilly wrote:
amanwing wrote:

I have been playing it with my 3 kids and I have to say that it is very difficult for us. So far in our campaign we have won 2 and lost 2. We just barely won our last mission. If you read Redjak's rules, the last page tells you how you can increase or decrease the difficulty.

Oops, I said the LtP Guide mentioned increasing/decreasing difficulty, whereas I meant the RAIV rules ofcourse! By the way, lost my first mission today (no Han Solo will be added to my ally deck...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:
Rebels should be constantly winning, it's a very predictable and dumb AI.

Sort of. I tend to use it more as a template. If for example I've got Elite Trandoshan hunters in shotgun range, I ignore the activation rules, the hunters are the right activation choice.

If I have a hero almost wounded that I can target, I ignore the adjacency AI rule and focus fire the juicier target.

RAIV is cheese pizza. It's ok, but if you want to make it pop, you've got to add some toppings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
thetrout wrote:
I've played with both, and would choose RAIV all the way. It's considerably less fiddly and flows much better/faster.

- They're both up to date through Obi-Wan/Greedo/Inquisitor.

- Jabba support will almost certainly be coming.

- They use the same mission cards.

Faster I get, but can you elaborate on why it flows better? Also, fiddlyness aside, do you think RAEV does a better job of capturing what it's like to play against a human player who is trying to win the scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Statua
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played several missions like a rebel and a bunch of missions like Imperial in 5 players games.
I never played RAEV.
I played 11 missions solo-RAIV in the last three months, I've almost finish the core game story.
As Jason says you must use RAIV as a sort of template.
I think this is a pro and a con. A pro 'cause it's simple, faster (in mechanics and in playtime), adjustable and smart and I really enjoy to play this variant. A con 'cause during the campaign I think several time like an Imperial and I choose to override the RAIV rules for better plays so I think not all the rules are ok (like Trandoshan).
Sorry for my poor english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.