10 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: First game impressions versus multiple plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: played_once_jitters [+] [View All]
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
Hello,
My gaming group tried our first game of Scythe yesterday. Considering our varied tastes into games such as Eclipse, Terra Mystica, TI3, various economic railroad games and my personal favourite Blood Rage, I thought this would be a guaranteed hit. However the reviews were somewhat mixed:
- My general impression was that, while it is a well-designed game, it didn’t create enough tension and drama until the very end of the game when we were racing for the 6th star.
- Another player commented that they would under normal circumstances play Terra Mystica instead as it gives them a better brain burn and has more depth, he favours brain-burny deep Euros that take forever to play.
- A third player was new to board gaming (outside of Risk and Monopoly) and was generally lost throughout the game, albeit perhaps this isn’t a newb friendly intro game.

My fear is that this game tries to do too many things and while it’s a good game, it doesn’t have depth in any one of them. However, I understand that the first play through we tend to focus on mechanics and understanding the rules and therefore don’t have a true impression of how the game will play. Some games I fall in love with right away, others I need to play a few times to appreciate and I’m wondering is Scythe is one of those games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the thing you will see as you play more is that your turns become more efficient. The players will have less wasted turns preparing and you will see them start to chain top and bottom row actions together more efficiently. This will help speed the pace at which each player drops mechs/buildings/resources and spreads on the map which will drive up the interaction and tension earlier in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bryan
United States
Empire
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat; played for the first time with my home group, who have varied tastes in games.

My brother likes confrontational/combat games. One friend likes the brain-burn, analysis aspect and my neighbor's up for whatever (like me)

I feel that it will probably take a few plays to get the mechanics/planning down before the strategy aspect comes into play.

Personaly, I like the variety in factions and how the random player boards make every game fresh. I'm currently painting up the minis

I think this will be a favorite for years to come..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tip: Don't use this a gateway game.

This is not a game that people will 'get' if it's their First Real Board Game.
Let's be real; Monopoly and Risk aren't games..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey even tells you in the rule book to not try to do too much with it on your first play. I think the way he worded it is to just get in there and start pushing buttons to see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Players new to Scythe tend to focus on production and movement and tend not to be aggressive in the early game. I found that after a few games, you start to take more calculated risks and don't shy away from combat as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group enjoyed it but was somewhat lukewarm the first time. We had fun but didn't think it was 'great'. However every subsequent play through we've like it more and more, and now everyone agrees it is in fact GREAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a game that grows on you as well.

1)Work the rules kinks out
2)See the game deepen before your eyes
3)Realize it's much deeper than it at first looks with these caveats (imo)
a)in 2-3 player game only a little combat
b)4+ player a LOT more combat

So part of it might be figuring out which tendency you like to put on the game...I personally like 4-player best then 3rd player 2nd best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my company's board game group last week and they all loved it and they don't stop asking me to bring it again.

We spent the next couple days talking about what we did wrong, what we did right, how we could have used the faction special ability, etc, etc.

So, like any other game, there will be people that love it, hate it, or somewhere in the middle.

Cool thing about games is that there are hundreds of options.

I'd say for you guys to give it another couple shots because, imo, the game is amazing. If you still don't like it, move on!

Edit: just wanna add that I think Scythe is the type of game you like more the more you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJMicromegas wrote:
- A third player was new to board gaming (outside of Risk and Monopoly) and was generally lost throughout the game, albeit perhaps this isn’t a newb friendly intro game.

I have a financial interest in Scythe being spread far and wide, but I would still strongly advice you not to play it with people who are not gamers (yet) .

There are many games out there that are better for introducing new people to our hobby. Use gateway games instead and then, when you've turned them to the dark side made them enjoy modern board gaming, bring out Scythe .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.