GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Hero Realms» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Tournament of Heroes Round 3 - Fighter vs Ranger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For full coverage of this tournament, including the running scoreboard, see this thread:

Tournament of Heroes, Season 2

I am moving the Round reports to separate threads each and placing them in the Sessions area, as that seems more appropriate.

Hope these reports show some insight to those interested in how these Characters play.

Round 3 - Fighter vs Ranger

VS

Hero Preview

Our last Character to enter the ring in Season 2 is The Fighter. He is in tough against the favorite and current leader, The Ranger.

The Fighter

The Fighter will try to gain a very early damage advantage, and use it to overwhelm the Ranger. Damage supports his starter deck draw and will help him keep the pressure on throughout the game. If the Fighter can damage rush the Ranger, he has a chance.

The Ranger

We already saw how powerful the Ranger's starter deck and abilities are in Round 1. Will it be as powerful in this match-up with the Fighter? I think it will. Nothing new for the Ranger...abuse Track, draw like crazy, play with Blue to add more deck/discard manipulation.

Match-up Preview

In Season 1, this match-up saw Adam win both games, going first. This sets up the Characters in Season 2 with a 1-1 record each, head-to-head. I feel the Start player advantage is significant, with only the Ranger-Thief match-up suggesting otherwise, if you believe that match-up was an even match-up....nope! So, you will see the odds at a whopping 80% for the Ranger when going first, and even 70% for the Fighter. Against the mighty Ranger!?!? We shall see.

FIGHTER - RANGER Scorecard

Game Adam Dad Start Favorite Odds Winner
---------------------------------------------------------
Season 1
16 RANGER FIGHTER RANGER RANGER
20 FIGHTER RANGER FIGHTER FIGHTER

Season 2 - Round 3
9 FIGHTER RANGER FIGHTER FIGHTER 70% FIGHTER
10 FIGHTER RANGER RANGER RANGER 80% FIGHTER
11 RANGER FIGHTER FIGHTER FIGHTER 70% FIGHTER
12 RANGER FIGHTER RANGER RANGER 80% RANGER

Season 2 | Total
-------------------------------
FIGHTER 3-1 | 4-2
RANGER 1-3 | 2-4
Start Player 3-1 | 4-2

Game 9 - I mis-abused Track. I was so caught up with trying to be fancy in manipulating my deck that I wasn't buying good cards. In my defense, the trade row was very expense. But instead of buying a second Fire Gem, I would Track. That was a mistake. The Fighter sported a very efficient Green and Yellow deck and the Ranger could not get anywhere on the scoreboard. It was an easy victory for the Fighter. NOTE: Adam likes to use Crushing Blow during the first deck to trigger the draw with Throwing Axe. My strategy has always been to wait on that to take out a strong Champion, but I am warming up to Adam's play. That early draw seems a better tactic in the long run than waiting on Crushing Blow to take out a champion.

Game 10 - ARGH! The trade row was terrible. I ended up only buying 5 cards, one of them this less than useful card*:

Credit Katanna for the photo.

Again, Dad mis-used Track due to an unfavorable trade row, instead of buying Fire Gems which could have allowed the Ranger to actually put up a fight. Which he most certainly did not. It was like watching a cat play with a mouse. The Fighter, piloted by my son, crushed the Tournament Leader Ranger like he was a simple pike-man.

* In HtoH only do I make this judgement; I suspect in coop and/or campaign, this card will have some utility. Basically, if you can hide her behind a wall, it could be really good.

Game 11 - The Fighter held start player advantage and pulled off another impressive win against the strong Ranger.

Game 12 - Not to get blown out, the Ranger managed to parlay the start player advantage into a nice win over the Fighter.

Hero Recap

The Fighter

A very impressive showing for the Fighter in Round 3. Facing a strong character in the Ranger, the Fighter make a case for balance. The Fighter's advantage is clearly speed. It has a lot of damage in its starter deck and if the Fighter can complement that with some draw and damage from the trade row, it is very, very hard to slow down, let alone stop.

The Ranger

The Ranger player (me) made some mistakes in games 9 and 10. I tried to get too cute with the Track ability. Even without these mistakes, the Ranger was in tough against the mighty Fighter. Adam showed how to win with the Ranger in this match-up, although with the start player advantage, by using Track only when it made sense.

Match-up Racap

Again Vegas was dead on with the 70-80% favorite winning 3 of 4 in this match-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AJEddy wrote:
this useless card*:

* In HtoH only do I make this judgement; I suspect in coop and/or campaign, this card will have some utility. Basically, if you can hide her behind a wall, it could be really good.

It's also more useful than it seems at first if you have a lot of abilities (typically on yellow cards) that get stronger with more champions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
AJEddy wrote:
this useless card*:

It's also more useful than it seems at first if you have a lot of abilities (typically on yellow cards) that get stronger with more champions.

Definitely true, if you can protect Kasha and her Zombies so they can provide those buffs. Otherwise, it is a 3 cost card that provides only 2 attack. It does attract 4 damage away from the player, but that is still very weak as there are a multitude of better 3 cost cards in the game.

Maybe with the Cleric this card can shine, but I will likely always pass it over in the trade row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed this post. I recently received my Hero packs and really enjoy the added layer to this game. These sessions help me see new strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.