Subject: Playing with Cthulhu Realms multiplayer rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played HR with CR multiplayer rules? I.e. Three market cards between you and the player to your right and another three between you and the player to your left. All damage is dealt to each of your neighbors, speeding up the health grind-down significantly. Targeted effects still only bullseye one target per effect.

It's a good variant for eliminated players not needing to wait it out so long, but I wonder if there is some inherent reason it wouldn't work so well with HR.

I'll be playing my first games this week and thought of leading with the CR variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
All three games are pretty much identical. The only real differences are matters of tweaking and tuning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

I'm a big fan of it. I would have lobbied to make it the "official" multiplayer rule, but we don't really do multiplayer tournaments, so leaving it as a variant is the correct play.

But I do think it's a thematic win, and I think it's more fun.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is the multiplayer variant that my groups prefer. We have played literally hundreds of games like this, and it works great! I particularly like the fact that the market is semi-exclusive, so you usually can rely on most cards sticking around a bit, instead of it getting demolished before your turn comes around again. (so you can plan ahead). It also reduces the chance of getting blocked when big cards turn up in the market in the early game.

The only thing we initially had a problem with was what happens to the markets when someone is eliminated. We now play it that the extra cards are available to both players on either side of the eliminated one. When cards are bought from this combined market of 6 cards, they are not replaced until it goes below 3.

Doesn't usually make much difference at that point, since it is usually pretty late in the game, since it is usually better to let the person live as long as possible to serve as a shield or to wear down the next enemy...

As an aside, my cousin adapted this market style to a 2-player game, and therefore have a shared market of 3 cards, and an exclusive market of 3 for each player. Makes the 2 player game a bit more strategic as well...
-Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.