Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice there are quite a few out there now. Any recommendations for the best, most compelling escape game (singular or series) for a group of 2(?)-6 adults? Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure

Are both fun. The adventurers plays up to 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

I'm afraid you've misunderstood the question. Escape Rooms are a real life activity you can do where you're locked in a room and need to puzzle out different clues to get out (they are super fun btw).

Based on their popularity a number of "escape room in a box" games have come out. The same basic principle but all the puzzles and clues are in the box itself and you play at home.

Answering the original question, I've heard a couple reviews for Escape Room: The Game which have been positive. This one comes with 4 "rooms" to complete.

KOSMOS has released a few in German that are supposed to be among the base (from what I read here). Three of them are being translated and brought to an English audience. It's part of their "EXIT" line.

Exit: The Game – The Secret Lab

Exit: The Game – The Abandoned Cabin

Exit: The Game – The Pharaoh's Tomb

The folks behind TIME STORIES are releasing Unlock! Escape Adventures. This one I'm less sure of myself. From what I read it sounds like a system they can release modules for (like TIME STORIES) but that system doesn't sound as interesting to me as an individually built custom escape room game might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Answering the original question, I've heard a couple reviews for Escape Room: The Game which have been positive. This one comes with 4 "rooms" to complete.

KOSMOS has released a few in German that are supposed to be among the base (from what I read here). Three of them are being translated and brought to an English audience. It's part of their "EXIT" line.

Thanks, these are the ones I've heard most about as well.
Interesting to hear about Unlock. Will keep that in mind.
Is Room 25 an escape series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

Never heard of these but now I'm curious, even if they're not exactly what I had in mind. Will look them up, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor - it was fun, but pretty easy. Suitable for family play, I think.

I have also played the first 2 out of 4 contained in Escape Room: The Game. These were both also quite easy, also fun, but the remaining 2 in the box are supposed to be a little more difficult. We'll see.

If you're a big fan of escape rooms, I can say that these games do a fairly decent job of capturing the "feel" of an escape room, and are worthwhile to try. However, I'm not sure what your price tolerance is: They're certainly cheaper than a real escape room session, but still, $20-30 for a one-shot game might be a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Weirich
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have heard, Escape Room: The Game is the most highly praised of the Escape Room games.

It is the only one I have played, but it is great! (it comes with 4 scenarios, each 1 hr timed) - I have played 2 of them. Highly recommend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Escape the Room: Secret of Dr. Gravely's Retreat.
While it was fun, I would not recommend it.
It has physical puzzles that only one person can work on at a time. Everyone else has to just sit around while that occurs, as it is a linear experience at that time.

I haven't tried the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demoed Unlock at GenCon. I think it had a different title.
It was solid. It isn't quite the same as some of the rest, but I would recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

[/q]
Is Room 25 an escape series?[/q]

I would say that Room 25 is more of a survival game that involves escaping. It is based on the 'Cube' horror movie series where a group of unrelated people are put into a maze of seemingly endless rooms that may shift around and may contain traps. Not quite the 'solve a puzzle' type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies, very helpful! I'm now most interested in Escape Room: The Game, and Exit when it makes its way here to the States.

Thanks again, and of course any further into is welcome. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I recommend this one.

And here is my review of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of it but wow, it sounds worth looking into. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Room In A Box: The Werewolf Experiment is one I heard about via Kickstarter. Apparently it has a reset kit included so you can set the game back up and either host another run through or lend out to friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh interesting! Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:

The Kosmos Exit line is designed to be reasonably priced and puzzle-heavy. You don't get a lot of theme or a lot of fancy components. It's mostly cards. But the puzzles are often awesome and seldomly disappointing. After what I've heard, they're the most adult-difficult escape room games out there. Each game consists of only one game (room/story/chapter), but as they're inexpensive you just buy one or three and have them on the shelf until you've got the right crowd/opportunity.

I've played the Pharao game with a group of gamers and we had a blast. Played the lab game with tired non-gamers the other night and it was a bit hard. But still, I guess these games also make good couple experiences. There's a time limit but you can just ignore it and enjoy the puzzles. (This game offers you solution cards that you may use or leave.)

I'm excited to try other escape room games myself but for what they are I can easily recommend the Kosmos games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tim! I'm definitely awaiting their US release...thinking they might make interesting couple's activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan did an overview of Unlock! Escape Adventures and how the system works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is only available on pre-order from Kick Starter but I recommend Escape Room In A Box: The Werewolf Experiment

I played it at a convention last fall and it was the closest thing I have experienced to an actual escape room. It puts Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor to shame but is also much more expensive.

The Werewolf experiment is more than just solving paper puzzles as there are three dimensional objects in the box. The puzzles are the right level of challenging and there are several that can be worked on in parallel. We had 8 adults working solidly for the entire hour.

Given the higher price this might work best if you plan to lend it out to a couple of different groups or have people share in the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape the Room: The Game is a good starting point. It's the best bang-for-your-buck in terms of cost vs number of scenarios currently. The quality of the scenarios provided is a little mixed, some are better than others.

Unlock! has a free print-and-play demo that is pretty fun as well that's worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple isn't a solve-the-clues type escape room, but it's a real-time cooperative escape game that takes 10 minutes. Definitely gets the adrenaline pumping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.