Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
So it took me 5 solo games and I finally broke 100. What I didn't expect was how much over I went. In this last game I avoided the Master and spent the beginning just trying to get one of the biggest vehicles. This was the first time I got a big vehicle in the first winter and I could be the benefit of doing so because I was able to start making bricks and timber every round after that. Which I needed to since my goal was to get 2 red buildings. Close to the end after I had gotten 2 red buildings I just tried my best to either flip tiles on my board for more VP's (forrest-->parks) or I tried to buy the most buildings I could with the material I had left. This score was kinda shocking to me because while I am playing I don't really keep track of about how many points I might have.

Couple of things I learned this last game.
*How big it can be getting big vehicles early to help try and get some red buildings.
*I feel like I will never send someone to the master again. There are other ways to get workbenches up plus they give you VP's and you don't have to waste resourses.

I look foward to see if I can get a score this close again but with a different strategy. So far I am loving this game. It's a great big game but playing it solo I can knock it out in under an hour. It's very satisfying seeing what you have built and maybe how you could have gotten some more points if you made some different moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on that score! I just played my 4th solo game last night and like you I determined that the key constraint resource is bricks. I tried getting vehicles as early as possible but I did not "go big" like you did. Scores for my last 2 games were 95 and 94.5. In both games I focused on at least two big red buildings. I appreciate your insights and wish you continued enjoyment with this terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much. So far I am really enjoying this game. For me this has become one of my most beautiful games in my collection. In my mind it's like a work of art. I love all the paths you can take. All I can think about is what other route should I try. I think it's funny how your personality might affect your gameplay also. One game I had the plan of getting animals and then using them for resources(hide). Ended up I didn't have the heart to send them to the butcher and I finished up with a farm full of every animal. Tomorrow I will try going plow crazy with lots of fields. I also ordered Glass Road and will get that tomorrow so I can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante,

Hmmm...if our personality dictates our strategy in FoA, then I shudder to think what my original peat-heavy strategy (you know, where we have a number of workers walking around knee-deep in muck and shoveling stuff!) suggests about me!

I agree that this is a beautiful and elegant game. I am struck by the fact that no matter how absurd a particular strategy may initially appear, the game presents you with a viable means of achieving it! This will certainly be a keeper in my collection as well.

Good luck with Glass Road. I have my eyes on A Feast for Odin as well, but not until I at least break 110.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
carthagenj wrote:
then I shudder to think what my original peat-heavy strategy (you know, where we have a number of workers walking around knee-deep in muck and shoveling stuff!) suggests about me!

Haha I was thinking the same thing. I love stacking those little black cubes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update...I scored 101 in a solo game this evening. I built vehicles quickly so that I could generate a big supply of bricks. As a bonus I generated 5 VP's for travel. I also ignored the Master action and did not miss it having increased tools with the red buildings. I think I squandered some opportunities to build more so I will give it another try tomorrow. Now back to the peat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
very nice. I tried a game today with lots of plowing. I think i ended up with 99pts. Tomorrow i might try all sheep and wool. This game is really fun to explore. I'm not even that concerned with the score. Its just fun to build your little area up and see what it becomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.