Subject: Thoughts on the PlayTable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a wide variety of board game lovers on BGG so I'm curious what are the thoughts on PlayTable? I haven't found a whole lot of information on it and although I have my fair share of board game apps, I don't always love the idea of app gaming.

I did find this that might have an impact on some peoples thoughts.

"A $99 reservation fee can have one set aside for you, with a final pre-order price of $349 and MSRP of $599. There are also hints at larger versions, one literally the size of a tabletop."

Found Here: http://geekandsundry.com/the-playtable-a-virtual-interface-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thoughts here

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1571960/anyone-know-anythin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ullan Perninger
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools

If 6" doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. It really doesn't work for me either

I would go with option 1 myself as a foot at each end feels like it starts to get unwieldy. My table is two L-shaped desks pushed together, so there is a fair amount of space to the side to help mitigate the space issues. Also, 5 feet just seems like you are going to be real far from your opponent.

For the varnish, as long as you put a good layer of brush on varnish, I would imagine you will be fine in terms of protecting your paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ullaperninger wrote:

If 6" doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. It really doesn't work for me either

I would go with option 1 myself as a foot at each end feels like it starts to get unwieldy. My table is two L-shaped desks pushed together, so there is a fair amount of space to the side to help mitigate the space issues. Also, 5 feet just seems like you are going to be real far from your opponent.

For the varnish, as long as you put a good layer of brush on varnish, I would imagine you will be fine in terms of protecting your paint.

What does this have to do with the PlayTable product being discussed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It tempted me. I go to a lot of non boardgame conventions with boardgames and it'd help me be at ease bringing this instead of a full boardgame. That being said, I'm not sure I'd ever want to get it. For being essentially deluxe app versions that my phone could run, they're planning to charge $20-$30 a game. I also can't find it useful if it relies on the phones a lot because that's asking the audience playing it to come prepared with the app installed, and then I wonder how it handles all those different games if you have to install those separately or what.

Lastly I'm not sure the piece tracking is very dynamic. You're gonna have to go through all those steps of telling the app what you're moving which will essentially make this playing the app version. Like if I put my Krosmaster on there, it's not going to know what Krosmaster and it's going to lose track. It's not going to know who is moving where without a buncha extra inputs. Essentially it's just making special effects around where it detects "something" to play up the illusion of "it's interacting with real things" but there's not the equipment to tell it what's really there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like with many pieces of tech, it has to start off at higher prices, and start off somewhere before it can try to be mainstream. I'm just glad that stuff like this is only $350 to $600. In years past, the Microsoft Surface was $10K, and something only corporations could only afford (this was a giant tablet roughly 12 feet by 10 feet that fit into whole tables. NOT to be confused with products like Surface Pro which are tablet/laptop sized).

gamesbook wrote:
ullaperninger wrote:

What does this have to do with the PlayTable product being discussed?

AFAIK, you can choose different sizes for the product, which seems to have an impact on how many players it can accommodate? Not sure about the varnish, but I will admit, my interest in this product has thus far been only "at a cursory glance".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:
Lastly I'm not sure the piece tracking is very dynamic. You're gonna have to go through all those steps of telling the app what you're moving which will essentially make this playing the app version. Like if I put my Krosmaster on there, it's not going to know what Krosmaster and it's going to lose track. It's not going to know who is moving where without a buncha extra inputs. Essentially it's just making special effects around where it detects "something" to play up the illusion of "it's interacting with real things" but there's not the equipment to tell it what's really there.

You either buy special pieces from them which the playtable recognizes (not included in the cost of the game), or you buy stickers from them (also not included) that you put on each of your pieces. The playtable can be programmed to know which piece is which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.