7 Posts

MERCS: Recon – Counter Threat» Forums » General

Subject: How often do you guys win the Breach and Clear? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
After many games lost at the BnC(all positions) we did ten in a row with House 4 and won none.

I love Mercs:recon. But this part of the game seems pretty imbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, it depends on what group you're using, which members of that group (I have all the characters), which tile you're using for the B&C (each tile has different rules and placements), etc...

Some groups straight up suck and firefight type B&C while others do too much damage if not reined in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found any problems with B&C except with missions which force you to roll specific numbers of collateral damage or lose the mission. In these cases, any faction that can't cause collateral damage is essentially praying for lucky rolls. This is one of the things that I don't like in this game. The other is Shotguns being able to completely wreck the building.

Usually in straight up B&C we lose only when we don't manage the priorities right and the MERCS enter with wrong turn order.

Having a character with low B&C potential can be somewhat mitigated if you can have him take control of a drone. Drones do loads of collateral damage.
Also, you can always try to use your Sniper. Even if you don't have minis for Snipers you can still use their rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just browsing quickly through the pdf rules: the Breach & And Clear combined action costs 7 cp for 3 Mercs.

It means that if you dont have at least 3 alive Mercs you cannot complete the mission?

Usually how many B&C happens in a game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are different pieces of equipment and skills that lowers te CP cost of B&C.

In my experience there's rarely more than one B&C in a mission, unless it's in the mission profile. While you can do "unscheduled" B&Cs there's usually ways around that. On the other hand small B&Cs like that are rarely very dangeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The B&C is normally the focal part of the Mission so I plan for it . I scan rooms , I gain Objects that can assist. Scanning may mean entering a room with a known object but doing a standard B&C. I also try my best to get the priority order right for the MERCs, selecting the right ones when collateral damage is a factor. Some are set for Melee hopefully to reduce opfor attacks , not add to damage and gain cover.

Do not underestimate this effect its worth -1 opfor attack die and +1Ld8 to subsequent mercs attacks. If its the first attack and you have 5 MERCS thats going to average out at 4 + damage differential and no risk of collateral damage.

Taking Cover provides 2+ damage to the track as it just adds an Ld8. If no melee option available.

How many B&C have you lost by that margin or less?

Apart from the Heavies , I do feel all MERCS should have some sort of Meleee weapon but this is not always the case (I have come across this in lots of other cases , Special Forces in Z War One: Damnation not having a knife and pistol as well as a main weapon. However its the designer's way of forcing choices and adding balance.

Generally a 75%+ win rate on main B&C with the EU , less so with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the B&C. I expect to win all non-objective B&C however, I find myself around 50-50 on the main ones when using CCC. Sometimes the dice just are not with you.

I've been winning more though now that I've been using Location Enhancements. There is some useful stuff once you know where to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.