Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the themes my wife and I play a lot are space games.
We set up a starfield playmat and get into the games.

At the moment we have:
Among the Stars (with all the expansions and Revival)
Xia: Legends of a Drift System
Merchant of Venus
and then for lighter fare:
Tiny Epic Galaxies Deluxe Edition
Pocket Imperium and
Stellar Conflict

As we have been expanding our collection regarding other genres, we thought me might get another space game (part of it might be to use the playmat) lest we be lost in our see of abstracts, westerns, romance, dexterity, and agricultural games.

So what would people choose and why between Alien Frontiers Big Box, Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition), or Roll for the Galaxy and expansions?

We don't have a planet colonization game, which favors the first two.. but not if we turn out not to like the whole building up a planet theme.
Roll for the Galaxy is well liked, but has some of similarities with Tiny Epic Galaxies which we already have.

So we keep waffling. We don't have the budget to get everything.

Feel free to pontificate at length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a bit for SpaceCorp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All three are good games, but I would replace Roll with Race for the Galaxy. You may also want to consider Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
StarCraft: The Board Game or Twilight Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Clearly Core Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onward to Venus is a good game, steampunk-alternate history-area control in space and it usually available for cheap price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Race for the Galaxy with The Gathering Storm expansion. Such a great game! I'd also recommend Ascending Empires for more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, might not be most people's first choice but I really like mission red planet. It's great fun and thinky enough when you only have an hour and are tired and don't want to think too much. It's play pretty quickly and smoothly. We find it works fine with two players with a few tweaks. However, I can't really comment in comparison to your other game suggestions as haven't played them

Also +1 to galaxy trucker - it's different and again, fun as well but is random and chaotic so depends on what you like in a game but wont really bust your brain too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nelson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Go for a bluffing game and get Chaosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Stars II is pretty neat, and doesn't run long. There are 2 expansions available should you decide you want to add more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Onward to Venus is a good game, steampunk-alternate history-area control in space and it usually available for cheap price.

thumbsup I just played Onward to Venus for the first time this weekend, and it was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
GSReis wrote:
All three are good games, but I would replace Roll with Race for the Galaxy. You may also want to consider Galaxy Trucker.

These were also going to be my two recommendations. +1 for each. Given the exact request, I would recommend Race for the Galaxy first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

Both great games, but .....

StarCraft: The Board Game is OOP, and quite expensive on the secondary market. (i.e. a two to three hundred dollars! Yikes!)
Lots of fun though, and maybe worth it, (although I would not recommend it at that price until one has played it.)

And Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is best played by three or more, (and it is quite long and involved - i.e. best to have a full day or so to play it).

I would recommend Eclipse myself.
It is fun for up to six players, (and up to nine with the expansion Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients).

Another good 4X space game is Space Empires: 4X.
A really fun and fairly well balanced game that works great with two players, and up to four players.

Race for the Galaxy is good too, but not quite as good (or deep) as the others IMHO. (But relatively cheap, andd fun and fast playing!)

Good Luck in your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Space Cadets Away Missions....FUN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Bates
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
If you're getting the game primarily to play 2-player, I would definitely choose Alien Frontiers. It's a fantastic dice placement/area control game that scales well with all player counts. The majority of the game play is based around dice placement so it feels like the emphasis is on worker placement more so than building up colonies on a planet, although that is the primary way to obtain victory points. Plenty of player interaction and strategic decisions.

Mission: Red Planet is also a game I really enjoy but it's not great for 2 players. You have to use 2 neutral colours and it's not quite the same game. Definitely recommend for larger player counts though.

I haven't played Roll for the Galaxy but Race for the Galaxy is also an excellent game. However, I find the mechanisms and theme much more enjoyable in Alien Frontiers and Race fell somewhat flat with my wife so it didn't get as much play.

A lot of other people are recommending Galaxy Trucker which I agree, is a fantastic game. But once again, I find it more enjoyable with more than 2 players as the chaos of the game comes through much better with more than 2. Still a great game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play mrp fine with two without using two colours and others have said the same, it's a little less chaotic and random but you're focusing more on what the other player is thinking and what cards they've got left so we still really like it and find it works fine. Maybe not for everyone though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.