GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Best Legendary Variants? Ps, I miss You Guys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, how you been?

It's been a while since I've come 'round these parts. I used to be a very involved member of the Legendary community, but some of the newer people may not even recognize me. I'm responsible for a rather popular set of dividers (modesty is for losers), the battlegrounds variant, the fantastic four campaign, and the advanced solo session strategies threads. Due to various reasons, I've become less active on the forums.

But I miss you guys. I miss DarthEd, and Javovis, and Iron Syndicate, and Ranger Rob... even Knobbly Savage! Is he still around?!? I miss this community so much. Most of all I miss being part of the creative energy here in the variants subforum. Alright with all that sappy s**t out of the way, on to the main point of this thread...

What are the BEST Marvel Legendary variants to date? I want to compile them for a project that I'm working on that I think you guys will like. I know Rob has the master data base of ALL variants at one point, but what are some of your favorites and WHY?

I'm keeping the project sort of a secret right now, but any of the "elder statesmen" I mentioned above can message me and we can discuss the project a little more before I reveal it. I really think you guys will be happy about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love me some M_Strauss dividers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss Iron Syndicte, too. Nowadays all we have is that STUPID Iron Syndicate guy. *sigh*

PS only messing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This what happens when you finally turn your auto-correct off after it screws you over one too many times. Eventually, it gets back at you.

Alright, so what your g^^^^^n favorite variants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean favourite custom card sets?

I think there's already a couple of threads on this, but since modesty is for losers, I like my Hulk-themed customs:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664179/hulk-themed-mini-ex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the keeper of the Database I like to remain neutral to what I feel are the best ones.

However, If I were only to print one "thing" from the entire Database it would easily be the Agents of Shield upgrades for the Maria Hill Shield Officer Deck. Puts the Shield Officer deck back into play...even with Sidekicks available.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1449982/agents-shield-seaso...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1651115/agents-shield-seaso...

Would like to hear other answers though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Holland
msg tools
I agree with RangerRob, the agents of SHIELD upgrade is awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Followup...

The "best" guide to help you choose that I can offer.
Compare the thumbsup of the thread. Usually the one with the most thumbs up is the best of the batch. The "Mark of Greatness" is about 10 Thumbs up. If something has that many it is among the elite here in the forums.
Trick is not everyone gives the thumbs up for the Thread (which is visible as you are searching the forums)...some thumb up the first post which you will only see in the thread itself (but that is also where you can give a GG tip). Also realize there are MANY great cards that have less than 10 thumbs up...the 10+ thumbs is a good place to start though.

Also look at the . If the thread has been given that means someone REALLY liked it enough to reward the designer.

Anything that I have printed out and used has been given at least a .01 tip. Think I did .01 per hero / mastermind maybe more for villain groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say my favorites are the Agents of SHIELD referenced above as well as the Defenders for a Day expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Zelany
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Assuming you mean the custom cards:

Agents of SHIELD - Makes Maria Hill useful again, after her fall from grace after the introduction of Secret Wars and/or Villains. No longer just a stack of cards sitting collecting dust.

Civil War Pro-Registration - If only to "fix" the Civil War expansion. Box heavily implies you get to play both sides, but pro are the villains and anti are the heroes. A real missed opportunity, given how clearly America is divided on the political front.

Defenders - Really cool Defenders for a Day stack/mechanic, acting like upgraded sidekicks. Even has a legit looking rule book.

I feel like the above are key, especially the Agents of SHIELD.

There are so many good ones, but I'll just mention a couple more:

Sinister Six - I'm a sucker for them as a team, and the set is well done and thematic.

X-Men Children of Atom - Massive custom set, very nostalgic.

You can find the links for them all in the custom card database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. Seems like the Agents of SHIELD one in particular is getting a lot of love, but I'm dying to try a bunch of these out. Especially since I just got some more Legendary sleeves in the mail. Just gotta print these out now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use over 1200 custom cards in my legendary. I also use Agents of SHIELD, but not all of them. I use a lot of Bystanders. Favorite Heroes? Off the top of my head, I always enjoy Jubilee and Ranger Rob's Colossus. I like to use Alpha Flight, although I have to remember they aren't as strong as some others. Fantastic Four She-Hulk is pretty fun. I tend to gravitate towards characters that reuse existing mechanics, especially in new ways. On the other hand, there is a Scarlet Witch I enjoy that uses a die roll on some of her cards.

Links for all the cards I use can be found here: Rhythmic's In-Use Custom Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The Defenders are definitely my favourite expansion but others I really enjoy include the Lord of the Rings set by Hitotsumami, Transformers base set and the Exiles by fostorial. All 4 if those custom expansions have really good key words in them that set them apart from other sets in my opinion. I don't generally play with expansions since Civil War and Big Trouble in little China due to storage space and Printerstudio being really expensive at the moment thanks to the drop of the pound and not knowing any good UK based printer companies. I thought about doing a custom card raffle on here to send off some of my customs to some lucky winners? How would people feel about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Joke's on all of you, my username doesn't have a space in it!

I know I haven't been very active on the forums lately (other than maintaining the WWK thread). Real life has been getting in the way. I do have some ideas for a few customs I want to do. Including one "oh god what am I getting myself into" idea that might prove to be even bigger than my Star Wars one...

As far as best custom content, other than my own (obviously) - the Defenders for a Day expansion is bananas. There's also an insanely fantastic Dr. Who set, if you want to veer off Marvel stuff.

Also - if you haven't, try out the Choose Your Own Adventure campaign. There's a few of them floating around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome stuff! I'miss still getting everything printed out and ready to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I still haven't gotten around to printing any custom cards beyond improvements on the Base Set Masterminds and Hydra 2.0, but there are definitely Heroes, Villains and so on that strike me as especially fascinating. Off the top of my head, the following come to mind for expansions:

Itai's Star Wars expansion seems incredibly good, true to the movies and characters and praiseworthy in every way there is.

The Pro-Registration expansion also has great art, ideas and feels almost necessary after we were teased with the idea of playing both sides.

Legendary Supernatural is still under construction, but the designer (Darkwolf, I believe) clearly understands the characters incredibly well and did an awesome job turning their traits into cards. Even if his Villains, Henchmen and Masterminds turn out to just be current ones with different art attached to them the expansion should be great, and I would be very surprised to see someone do that to a show he clearly loves.

For random Heroes and Allies, Unworthy Thor is not just a good idea, but especially tickled me because I still dislike the official Base Set Thor for turning one of the comics' most exceptional bad guy mashers into a Recruit engine, and I never got over thinking that Surge of Power stinks. Maria Hill also interests me quite a bit, as do the Ally versions of Apocalypse and his Horsemen (The database has Death, Famine, Pestilence and War under Archangel, Sunfire, Caliban and Holocaust).

For Masterminds, God Emperor Doom and Serpent God of Fear struck me as especially good ideas. I feel bad about this one because I know there are at least ten Custom Masterminds that pleased me but only those two come to mind offhand.

I ran out of time to finish this post off, but I remember also liking one of the Skrull Masterminds and Daken as a Mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.