Subject: Plans for official tournaments? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just wanted to know if there are any plans to hold official tournaments for possible national or world championships. I've participated in some Catan tournaments before and would like to see the same thing happen for this game. I did find a few gaming convention tournaments, but I don't think that they are an official or sanctioned tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kranak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about official tournaments, but I realized last week that there might actually be a high demand event at GenCon that I will be trying to attend.

That, of course, would be any of what I assume will be many different chances to play Terraforming Mars at GenCon. Usually the games with a ton of events are games I am not very interested in, but I anticipate a lot of events for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
I just wanted to know if there are any plans to hold official tournaments for possible national or world championships. I've participated in some Catan tournaments before and would like to see the same thing happen for this game. I did find a few gaming convention tournaments, but I don't think that they are an official or sanctioned tournament.

To simply answer the question, FryxGames has no plans yet of such tournaments. In Essen, we usually let visitors sit and play our newest game to qualify for a final on Saturday or Sunday. Last October, the prize for the winner of the final was a prototype copy of an upcoming expansion.

We will definitely discuss the possibilities of any future events.
//Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is on the ballot for possible inclusion as a Trial Event at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) convention this year. I didn't see any info on the proposed format though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrezCon is planning to have a TM tournament
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
^Thanks, I saw the Prezcon one and that was the unofficial one I was talking about. I'm not sure if I'm going yet. If I do go I'd be interested in it, but I also have my eye on the terra Mystica tournament too... I can't do both! cry Plus Prezcon has an official Catan National Championship prequalifier. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
It is on the ballot for possible inclusion as a Trial Event at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) convention this year. I didn't see any info on the proposed format though.

TM did make it to WBC this year.

The tournament will be played with 4 heats advancing the top 16 players to semi finals and then a 4 player final.

WBC also included Terra Mystica as a tournament this year along with 146 other games.

If you are at all interested in competitive gaming, I assure you, this is your Mecca.

Pretournament writeup from last year: http://www.401games.ca/articles/the-nirvana-of-serious-board...

Convention website: http://boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must have some source i don't have because I've been going back and forth on whether to play TM depending on player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
You must have some source i don't have because I've been going back and forth on whether to play TM depending on player count.

I had some conversations with the GM (Bill Crenshaw) before he finalized his format.

Down side is 2 of the heats will have the corporate cards removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, no corporate cards? That's a pretty big downside. Takes the game for me from a 10 to an 8.

Do you know if he is going to have drafting? I was assuming not because there are time considerations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to drafting. Both for the initial 10 cards (take 5 and draft going right then take another 5 and draft going left) and in each round.

I think he thinks the drafting was more important to preserve than the corporate cards (which he cut for length)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He does know that drafting adds 45 minutes to the game right? Corporate cards add no time. In the several dozen games I've played, both drafting and not drafting, The games have been won by better play, not luck of the draw. I would actually say that drafting increases the luck factor. You better not be sitting next to the player that hate drafts.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but his tournament, his rules.

Not sure about luck though. Everyone should be hate drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:
Everyone should be hate drafting.

Hate drafting is a huge turnoff for me in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:
Yes to drafting. Both for the initial 10 cards (take 5 and draft going right then take another 5 and draft going left) and in each round.

I think he thinks the drafting was more important to preserve than the corporate cards (which he cut for length)

This is a really bad decision. Drafting adds much more time than Corporate cards. Drafting is also technically a variant while corporate era cards are not. Furthermore the initial 10 card draw is not draftable, he's using a user made variant.

Also, if he does remove corporate cards, he should remove Saturn Systems and Terractor from the corporation selection since they rely on Corporate Cards a lot (Jovian and Earth tags).

I'd love to be able to go to the WBC. I see 3-4 games I could compete well in: Terraforming Mars, Terra Mystica, Catan C&K, Roll for the Galaxy- would prefer Ambition added. The funny thing is that 3 of those are Trials from what I read on the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.