Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just need some clarification regarding Support Weapons as Infantry Squad. I've seen rulings or discussions for prior versions of the game stating Support Weapon Squads not counting as Infantry Squads in some cases. With the current set of rules, is the following true?

1- A 3 man, armor 2 Support Weapon squad can be transported taking up 3 spaces.

2- Commissars and Heroes may join with a Support Weapon Squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I believe support weapons do count as infantry in all ways, meaning they can be joined by heroes or commissars. The big difference is that two soldiers (or one, if there's only one left) must operate the big gun and can't fire any other guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since support weapons are considered to be infantry units, I think that the answer to both of your questions is "yes". The Hero or Commissar must have the same armor rating as the support unit they're joining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There was some talk about Support Weapons being able to fire all their weapons...I can't recall where I saw that.

It would be helpful to get rule book references on this, and if extra clarification is need we can try for an official ruling.

I never thought of adding a Commissar or Hero to a Support Weapons...Thanks for the great suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Support Weapon crews can choose to fire the main weapon, their personal weapons, or a combination of both, provided in the latter case that at least two must fire the main weapon, leaving the third and fourth available to fire their personal weapons. Page 156, at the top, in the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Purves
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have searched through the rules several times and have also come to the conclusion that support weapon teams are simply infantry on a single base and therefor can be placed in transports or joined by heroes (or both).

I placed Machete Mack with a recon dog squad and it was a great little unit. Would be even better in a transport, but I have not tried it yet.

Also, it seems to be the best option for Mercenary Hero Tanya, joining a machine gun squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing a web search only brings up old threads referencing the older version of the game. Those discussions cite rulings against the ability to join support weapon squads. Just clarifying this was no longer the case.

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just remembered that we had a discussion a couple of months ago on Support Weapons and the number of weapons they can fire, you can check it out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1681388

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just got excited thinking about putting a couple of SSU Red Lightning (aka: Red Army Tesla Gun Squad) into an SSU Assaulter helicopter transport to drop behind enemy vehicles and defences... <<giddy>>

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

I just got excited thinking about putting a couple of SSU Red Lightning (aka: Red Army Tesla Gun Squad) into an SSU Assaulter helicopter transport to drop behind enemy vehicles and defences... <<giddy>>

laugh

I just got excited about my Flakpanzer IV taking out the helicopters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

LOL

You're a bad man!

Westie wrote:
I just got excited about my Flakpanzer IV taking out the helicopters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

laugh
Well, they can't fire their Support Weapons while they're in the Helicopter, and they can't dismount if they Activate after the Helicopter.

So, whlie it might be fun to try some time I think it's a really bad tactic actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.