Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please recommend some games to me that involve direct conflict / direct interactions? Preferably that can be played in under 45 minutes, but all suggestions are welcome.

My kids tend to prefer head to head games and a lot of interaction. They don't just want to win against the game, they want to beat me or their brother.

My boys are 6 and 8. The 4 year old isn't quite ready. Games specifically designed for kids and adults are both welcomed suggestions. They play Catan, Carc, Memoir '44, Zooloretto, just to give an idea.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Imhotep would work nicely Simple rules, and lots of interaction. I consider it a friendly take-that, in the sense that most of your actions will involve negatively affecting others, but since there are lots of ways to score you're almost never completely screwing someone over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet

Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Leaping Lemmings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo hits all of your points. It's simple enough for the kids, fast and punchy, and still has some interesting decisions for the adults with the luck factor putting you on more-or-less an even playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allismom3 wrote:

Ditto. These are huge hits with my children.

We've recently gotten into "Bang! The Dice Game" as well. Bang works best with more players, but can be played with a minimum of 3.

There's always Risk, but that can take well over 45 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike williams
United States
Sumner
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smallworld sounds like it will work really well for you. Constant conflict/interaction, but easy to bounce back from the conflict, and no one is out of the game until its over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence for Kids, Sorry!, or UNO may be good options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyleara .
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Survive: Escape from Atlantis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age?

Not a complicated game, as rules go.
3 game modes included in the box are competitive, including the "Rune wars" scenario: the last one standing wins.
The opposite is "the monument": no one is eliminated, the first to have enough money wins; aka the beat up the others to grab their cities and steal their gold scenario.

The one expansion adds a one-vs-many scenario (and a lot of fun other things, but that is beside the point)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how a family of young boys could resist something like Flick 'em Up! or Catacombs (third edition). Flicking games seem perfect for direct conflict, just don't put an eye out..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust 1947. If they can handle Memoir '44, this shouldn't be too difficult for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, we like mean games too:

The Downfall of Pompeii you get to throw each others meeples into a 3d volcano
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet - can be very mean but you're not hitting each other directly
GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck - very nasty but ultra fun and cute
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise - not exactly direct conflict but a great race game where you can try and stop the others
Dead Man's Draw (captain carcass version is great for kids - great fun push your luck card game where you get to steal each other's stuff sometimes
Get Bit! Collectors Edition - get limbs torn off by sharks, can play as shark or Walk the Plank! also included in the box where you use simultaneous action selection to push each other off the plank
Saboteur (compilation editions) - although she only played as a digger
King of Tokyo

Most of these were all playable with my little one when she was five and enjoyed by most adults and the four year old might enjoy playing along for some of them?

Now she's six she likes
Colt Express - get to shoot, punch, steal from each other on a train with simultaneous action selection
Jamaica - you get to do pirate stuff to each other occasionally whilst racing but for pure pirate rampage - Pirate's Cove
Room 25 - you can push each other into rooms which kill you but it's basically (kind off) the labyrinth game with nasty trap/death squares and simultaneous action and season 2 expansion brings in variable character powers and can be played co-op/hidden traitor or competitive

Some that you may/should be able to play with the four year old that are still fun for others:

The Little Prince: Rising to the Stars - get to steal quite a bit
Crossing - stealing again
Escape from the Hidden Castle - get new released german version and download english rules from here. you get to push each other out of rooms into the path of the ghost
UNO - well you get to make each other pick up 4 cards whistle
Pictureka! - well you get to race to find stuff lol!

Maybe Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) for the six yr old up soonish enough - get to blow each other up in rockets. Garden Dice is a little more subtle stealing but kinder and more typically euro.

I hope you were looking for this type of direct conflict but most still have their thinky parts lol shake

Edit - Maybe we're a bit too mean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Marrakech with a mom and 2 kids. She thought it was confrontational. It is easily played in 45 min or less, and involves area control with fines for landing in each other's area. It's simple to learn, and involves basic counting of squares to figure the fines. The kids loved taking money from each other for the fines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Onitama - Beautiful game with deep strategy. It plays differently every time because the moves available to you are dictated by only five cards in a game. High replay and inexpensive. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
+100 Survive: Escape from Atlantis
For 3 players, it's probably the best take-that game that doesn't devolve into 1 player winning while the 2 others duke it out.

King of Tokyo is great as well, but really needs at least 4 IMO.

Bigger investment but we used to have a blast playing 3-player Heroscape, no teams. Haven't gotten it to the table in a long while though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.