United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Update to Kickstarter Backers: January 2017

Firstly, please allow me to apologize for the long silence. As a Kickstarter backer and gamer, I understand how frustrating it is to not hear about the progress of project that I have backed, or a game that I am eagerly waiting for. The reason for delay of this update is that I wanted to have something substantial to share before posting, and it took me longer than expected to finish the new design and create the cards that are the backbone of the engine. However, after months of work, the new design is now (finally) complete, and I have some good assets to share with you.
THE DESIGN
The new design is much more modern in its mechanics than the original. It has elements that are similar to stellar games like 1775: Rebellion and Twilight Struggle. It is card-driven, where the players have access to a deck of event cards that may be played as either the ‘event’, or for the ‘action points’ to perform one of several actions.
The actions include:
BUY INFLUENCE: These influence may either be added to a region on the map (e.g. Bavaria, Milan, Kingdom of Northern Italy) to gain control of them and their troops (some minor nations have troops), or placed in the capitals of the major nations (e.g. Prussia, Russia, Austria, Spain, Ottoman Empire) to bring them into the French or British alliance.
RECRUIT A NEW CORPS: Building a powerful army is necessary to expand the French Empire, as well as stopping it.
REORGANIZE DEFEATED CORPS: Corps that are defeated in battle are not destroyed, but rather placed out of play. They may be reorganized and made active again in their home country. This is cheaper than building new corps.
MOVE CORPS: Moving corps from one nation to another. The board is dived into ‘nations’ that are made up of regions. When a battle occurs, all troops from both sides that are in the nation on the battle card fight a battle. The winner scores points and may place free influence in that nation. That nation is then scored based on which side controls the various regions within that nation. Early in the game, there are many battle cards that take place in Italy and Germany. As the game proceeds, there are battles that occur in Prussia, Austria, Spain, and eventually Russia.
INCREASE ECONOMIC RATING: The power of each nation’s economy was essential for supporting the war effort. This action will also allow the player to get rid of a card in their hand that helps their opponent, though it may only be played once per round.

There are 10 rounds in the game. In each round, players will take turns playing 8 cards. The cards are drawn from three unique decks:
Deck 1 (1796 – 1801) is used during the first 3 rounds
Deck 2 (1802 – 1807) is added at the beginning of round 4
Deck 3 (1808 – 1815) is added at the beginning of round 7
Here is a link to view the three unique card decks that are the central drivers for the game:
http://www.victoryandglorygame.com

Creating the structure of the game and then designing these decks has been what I have been working on. Now that we have a playable version of the new design, we are playtesting and refining the design. We are still using the other assets that we shared during the Kickstarter campaign, though they are being updated to fit the new design.
We will share the updated files as they are finished in new updates (which will appear with regularity now that we are in that part of the project).
TIME LINE
Again, I apologize for the delay in publishing this game, but as I’ve mentioned in previous updates and comments on the campaign page, I am committed to delivering on my promise that this would be the ultimate Napoleonic Strategy game. It has taken me a lot longer than I had expected because I had to essentially toss out the original design and create a brand new one from scratch because it just wasn’t good enough. But now we are finally back on track with a design that truly lives up to that lofty goal, so progress will be swift from this point. For the next few months, we will be focused on playtesting and balancing the game and making the graphic design changes to the board, unit counters, and other assets, and creating the box and rule book.
Here is the current development timeline.
January – March: Playtesting, graphic design for assets
April: Final rules manual layout and final box back
May: Start of manufacturing
June: Finished games shipping from China
July: Games arriving in the U.S. and European warehouses/ shipment to backers

I just want to add a note of sincere thanks for your support in making this project possible, and for your amazing patience with the re-design process. I look forward to delivering a game that you will treasure and play over and over.
Sincerely,
Glenn Drover
Electric Games, LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, the cards are great looking. What a unique way to determine the number and locations of major battles. BTW, on the Waterloo battle card, Belgium is misspelled Beligium. When the rules are ready to go to the printer, would you please post them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyuredeadbrilliant

Jim......mb

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like what I'm hearing so far... I think these changes will lend itself to a more historical feel as well as an easier adaptation to solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
this sounds more like a completely new game. What's left from the original?
The original design surely had its flaws but it wasn't entirely bad, in my opinion. The tactical battles were pretty excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really excited to hear feedback! Those cards are great and I'm actually loving how this is starting to sound very similar to GMT's Napoleonic Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
So it will be merely a "Napoleonic Wars" clone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Konstantin wrote:
So it will be merely a "Napoleonic Wars" clone?

lol, no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Glenn. I support your efforts to remake the game into something you can take pride in, and it sounds like you're making good progress toward that goal. I would rather have a great game when it is ready than a half-baked game now that I rarely play. As it is, I have several recent games still in shrink-wrap waiting for the time and energy to learn how to play them.

Looking forward to this title though. It's one of my favorite subjects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
The PC-game doesn't appear to be card-driven. So will the board game be totally different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Konstantin wrote:
The PC-game doesn't appear to be card-driven. So will the board game be totally different?

Hi Konstantin,

I would say a definite yes - and better for it. I like the PC game, but I don't think it would make a very good boardgame, so I am happy with the direction that this is taking.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
No offence, but having read Glenn's update, one can easily get the impression that he is simply copying other game systems, instead of creating something unique. For example, if I wanted to play the Twilight Struggle system, I could simply play Twilight Struggle, I wouldn't need Victory & Glory. So I am really curious if the final product will be distinct enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, it is forNapoleonic game, not A Soviet vs America.
Don't buy it and you will be left out from a fantastic game event.
Ideas from here must really means something if someone plagiarizes something and everyone gets upset.
Not saying this is totally that, but it is not the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drazen Kramaric
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A doze of healthy scepticism is reccomended. First, there was a Napoleon in Europe that was beautiful to eye, but difficult to play with the rules as written.

More then ten years later, a different design is offered than tossed away.

Now there's a third attempt to create an "ultimate grand strategic Napoleonic game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
What's the latest news on this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play testing. New board should be posted soon, maybe a week or two to have a peek at it. Meeples are still compatible with the new cards/rules. Should be going to production in a month or two, so Summer is still on track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
What is the current status of this game? When will it be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.