Michael Ho
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will losing cards off the top of your deck due to effects like Peter Pettigrew trigger Crabbe and Goyle? Traditionally "discarding" cards means discarding from one's hand, but the word "discard" is used in this game to also refer to losing cards off the top of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TempestTenor wrote:
Will losing cards off the top of your deck due to effects like Peter Pettigrew trigger Crabbe and Goyle? Traditionally "discarding" cards means discarding from one's hand, but the word "discard" is used in this game to also refer to losing cards off the top of your deck.

i have been playing as any effect that says discard counts as a discard, so it would trigger crab and goyle to discard from the top of the deck, but also trigger cards that give an effect when discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
"Each time a Dark Arts event or Villain causes a Hero to discard a card, that Hero loses 1 <3."

Their ability would not trigger with just a normal discard. ONLY if the discard is caused by a Dark Arts event or Villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TempestTenor wrote:

Any Dark Arts Card that causes you to discard a card will trigger Crab & Goyle.
Any Villain effect that causes you to discard a card will trigger Crab & Goyle.
Any Hogwarts card that has an effect "when discarded" will trigger when discarded due to DA/Villain effects.
Any "other" effect that is triggered by discarding a card voluntarily will NOT trigger Crab & Goyle.
Any "other" effect that is triggered by discarding a card voluntarily will NOT be triggered by an involuntary discard due to a DA/Villain effect.

Note that retaining a card in hand to the end of your turn (aka "not" playing a given card) does not then "discard" that card at the end of your turn during cleanup when you "place it in the discard pile".

Also note that discarding from the top of your deck (as with Peter) definitely counts as a discard -- since that word is used on Peter to describe what happens if you reveal a non-starter card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenJazz wrote:
"Each time a Dark Arts event or Villain causes a Hero to discard a card, that Hero loses 1 <3."

Their ability would not trigger with just a normal discard. ONLY if the discard is caused by a Dark Arts event or Villain.

the question wasnt about that it was about whether discarding off the top of your deck triggered crab and goyle. for example peter petegrew.

as i said in my post i have been playing that discarding off the top of my deck (from a dark arts of villian) does trigger crab and goyle but also triggers any discard effects on the cards themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
BenJazz wrote:

the question wasnt about that it was about whether discarding off the top of your deck triggered crab and goyle. for example peter petegrew.

as i said in my post i have been playing that discarding off the top of my deck (from a dark arts of villian) does trigger crab and goyle but also triggers any discard effects on the cards themselves.

FWIW, that is how I read the effects of both cards. Lockhart is another good example.

Edit: For example, using a crystal ball to draw two cards, then discard a Lockhart that was already in your hand should trigger Lockhart's "if you discard this, draw a card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
BenJazz wrote:

FWIW, that is how I read the effects of both cards. Lockhart is another good example.

Edit: For example, using a crystal ball to draw two cards, then discard a Lockhart that was already in your hand should trigger Lockhart's "if you discard this, draw a card."

agree, but the question from the OP was if discarding from the top of your deck still counts as a discard because many games say that discarding must be from your hand. your lockheart example is from the hand anyway so the OP wasnt questioning that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually a bit surprised Andrew didn't cover this in one of his previous answers. Since it is using the same keyword (discard) I would say that a top deck discard still triggers C&G. That is the point of keywording after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ho
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we've been playing it by going off the keyword, meaning Peter Pettigrew does trigger Crabbe and Goyle.

That's an interesting point about Peter Pettigrew triggering beneficial discard effects like Lockhart or Rememberall. I don't think that's come up during our games, but I'll be sure to keep it in mind for the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I'm actually a bit surprised Andrew didn't cover this in one of his previous answers. Since it is using the same keyword (discard) I would say that a top deck discard still triggers C&G. That is the point of keywording after all.

That is correct. If you discard a card from triggering Peter Pettigrew's ability or Oppugno for example, Crabbe and Goyle would also trigger.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
davypi wrote:

That is correct. If you discard a card from triggering Peter Pettigrew's ability or Oppugno for example, Crabbe and Goyle would also trigger.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

And, presumably, also "if you discard... " clauses on the cards themselves or in hand (e.g., Marauder's Map or Trelawney.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Breese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
what happens if A DA card forces someone else to discard a card example Heir of Slytherin The card die is rolled and everyone has to discard a card does this mean all hero's have to lose a heart or just the active hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yodababy wrote:
what happens if A DA card forces someone else to discard a card example Heir of Slytherin The card die is rolled and everyone has to discard a card does this mean all hero's have to lose a heart or just the active hero

Anybody who discards a card would lose a heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yodababy wrote:

all heros would lose a heart, since they all discarded a card due to a dark arts event, with Crabbe and Goyle in play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Breese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
UGh that is how we are playing I was hoping for something else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.