Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just noticed that they're "Draining the Swamp" in RSP and I'm surprised no one has complained about it here. So we might as well talk about it.

While I think moderating the RSP forum for toxic behavior makes it better than it was... I truly believe there shouldn't even be a RSP forum. I think this was a stopgap measure that only partially addresses some of the recent problems. They could, and should do more. Either fully moderate the RSP forum or do away with it altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Re: The "They went to far!"/"They didn't go far enough!" RSP thread
For years I've been baffled by the attraction of RSP for so many people. I occasionally hear rumors that there is interesting stimulating intelligent religious/political discussion in RSP, but every time I look there (once every month or two), invariably the threads I see are mostly people angrily contemptuously calling each other stuff like "pathetic cunt" and "libtard" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
While I think moderating the RSP forum for toxic behavior makes it better than it was... I truly believe there shouldn't even be a RSP forum. I think this was a stopgap measure that only partially addresses some of the recent problems. They could, and should do more. Either fully moderate the RSP forum or do away with it altogether.
I invite you to not post in RSP if you don't like posting in RSP. As an added bonus, I also invite you to not read RSP.

Complaint solved! Thank you for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take my unmoderated RSP posting to a different web site.

Pete (sees no reason to post about that stuff here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which site, Pete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I take my unmoderated RSP posting to a different web site.

Pete (sees no reason to post about that stuff here)

Unmoderated was an unmitigated disaster. I like the new "mostly moderated" approach - it's less hyper

bolus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP has always baffled me too. I come to BGG because I have an interest in board games and I am convinced that the users of BGG contain the people who know the most about board games anywhere. Therefore, I am educated here and can sometimes participate in decent discussions about board games. I respect many users' opinions here on board games.

RSP is odd because it has nothing to do with board games. The collection of users that are in RSP are no more experts on religion, sex or politics than Jim Bob on the street. What does being a board gamer have to do with any of the topics in RSP? Why here? Why this site? To me, it would be no different than putting up a "Cooking" or "Knitting" forum here.

Personally, I don't visit Chit Chat much for the same reason, but at least the topics there are more light hearted. I find the topics in RSP to generally be more toxic and there is rarely any discussion on a topic. It's just emotions being flung back and forth. That being said, I don't mind if it exists because I can simply avoid it. I don't need to go there and participate and many people do seem to enjoy it, so more power to them.

My only issue is when certain topics get posted to General Gaming that sometimes contain topics that are frequently discussed in RSP, such as threads about diversity in board games and how minorities are represented in them. I feel there can be a level headed and interesting discussion there, but inevitably RSP users begin popping in carrying a lot of past baggage from their discussions in RSP. At that point, those threads are driven to the usual RSP extreme viewpoints, which destroys all attempts at a rational discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both cooking and knitting are also discussed here. You bring up a good point when saying there are some users that destroy conversations, usually in RSP-related topics of conversations. Sadly, BGG has decided not to kick out those users but instead just move those threads to RSP, which is sad because 10 years ago, there was a lot of good discussion in RSP. Now it's almost all name-calling.

BGG needs to grow a backbone and kick out the disruptive users instead of just moving the threads to RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
My only issue is when certain topics get posted to General Gaming that sometimes contain topics that are frequently discussed in RSP, such as threads about diversity in board games and how minorities are represented in them. I feel there can be a level headed and interesting discussion there, but inevitably RSP users begin popping in carrying a lot of past baggage from their discussions in RSP. At that point, those threads are driven to the usual RSP extreme viewpoints, which destroys all attempts at a rational discussion.
It's RSP users that destroy rational discussion of hot-button topics outside of RSP? There are plenty of non-RSP'ers capable of that and that are doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
s3kt0r wrote:
The collection of users that are in RSP are no more experts on religion, sex or politics than Jim Bob on the street.

You are incorrect about this particular point.

Certainly not everyone is, but there are plenty of experts in all three areas. And the *average* level of knowledge of all three in RSP is certainly higher than that among gamers in general, much less the general populace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Why here? Why this site? To me, it would be no different than putting up a "Cooking" or "Knitting" forum here.

cooking guild
knitting guild

You were saying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmb
Agree 100% with Spoon.

If you don't like it, don't go there. No reason to take it away from active participants. I agree with what others have said that it also drives traffic (and annual support) to the site.

I wouldn't be here as much if it weren't for the community aspects of the site: play by forum on RPGG, chit chat, the guilds and yes, RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
It's RSP users that destroy rational discussion of hot-button topics outside of RSP? There are plenty of non-RSP'ers capable of that and that are doing that.

I was not making an absolute statement that all destroyers of rational discussion are RSP users. I also agree that there are plenty of non-RSP'ers who are capable of that on there own. I am not stating that removing RSP or more heavily moderating it would completely remove that. However, it might improve it.

When certain threads start moving into the extreme ends of the discussion, it is often due to a certain user or another. Oftentimes, I have checked their posting history and seen that they are here pretty much exclusively for the RSP forums. Not always, but often enough. I feel RSP attracts some of the people with extreme views to this site, and just having them here makes it more likely it will spill into the board game discussions.

Again, I am not suggesting that moderating RSP, or getting rid of it altogether, would fix anything 100%. A 100% solution does not exist. I would suggest it could improve things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
Why here? Why this site? To me, it would be no different than putting up a "Cooking" or "Knitting" forum here.

cooking guild
knitting guild

You were saying?

You are correct. Those do exist. I also do not visit a board game site to read those either. However, nothing that happens in either of those guilds spills over to the rest of the site in any sort of negative way and are far easier to ignore the existence of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
The collection of users that are in RSP are no more experts on religion, sex or politics than Jim Bob on the street.

You are incorrect about this particular point.

Certainly not everyone is, but there are plenty of experts in all three areas. And the *average* level of knowledge of all three in RSP is certainly higher than that among gamers in general, much less the general populace.

I suppose I'll have to take your word for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Hey I'm here to complain about something I don't use and could easily ignore, but instead I'd rather question its value and existence even though others use and enjoy it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
s3kt0r wrote:

I was not making an absolute statement that all destroyers of rational discussion are RSP users. I also agree that there are plenty of non-RSP'ers who are capable of that on there own. I am not stating that removing RSP or more heavily moderating it would completely remove that. However, it might improve it.

When certain threads start moving into the extreme ends of the discussion, it is often due to a certain user or another. Oftentimes, I have checked their posting history and seen that they are here pretty much exclusively for the RSP forums. Not always, but often enough. I feel RSP attracts some of the people with extreme views to this site, and just having them here makes it more likely it will spill into the board game discussions.

Again, I am not suggesting that moderating RSP, or getting rid of it altogether, would fix anything 100%. A 100% solution does not exist. I would suggest it could improve things.

RSP now has moderation with a "Chilling Effect"/"Feels Like" around that of liquid nitrogen.

Administrator Octavian, using whatever covert criterion he finds relevant, bans posters that he sees as toxic.
No additional warnings.
No specific warning.
No appeal.
No explanation.

My understanding is that it's been recognised that damage is done to the site's reputation, and future, by toxic posts and toxic posters.

I'd guess that Octavian would appreciate users bringing incidents of toxicity on BGG to his notice.
He may even appreciate the formation of a Secret Policing Squad who prowl RSP's dark alleys and report quickly of toxic incidents - though I'm not so confident about this one.

I'm doubtful that we'll see long lasting re-appearances of the sort of vicious, angry threads that have featured over the last year or so.

edit:
@ Greg.
I would be interested in your, or others, appraisal of the effectiveness of this form of moderation on RSP.
Please wait a month* for things to stabilise and then have a look at RSP and share your evaluations.

* A month?: Currently the height of discord on RSP is singling out someone (me) from a pack of pedants and calling me a pedant, and perfunctory muttering over whether calling statements "stupid" contributes to toxicity. The disturbances, caused by the bannings thus far, have been so extensive that a rhetorical question went by without being answered.
It may take some time for brilliant discourse to re-emerge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

"Hey I'm here to complain about something I don't use and could easily ignore, but instead I'd rather question its value and existence even though others use and enjoy it."

I'm pretty sure if BGG ever desires a 'tagline' - this will be it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:

That's funny, because as an RSP semi-regular, whenever those threads get kicked to us and I read through to get caught up, I always think to myself "Who are all of these awful people saying these horrible things?"

Regular BGG users are perfectly capable of turning political discussions into dumpster fires. That's why RSP topics are not allowed in other parts of the site.

The problem with your ideal of always-"rational" discussion is that when discussing RSP topics--such as your own rights and freedoms, social and legal oppression, religious intolerance, cruelty and violence--most people are very likely to have strong emotional responses. It's relatively normal, and is one reason people get so passionate about politics, and religion.

That's only more of a reason to have more moderation in RSP, though, because without it people feel they have the freedom to say whatever they want, even if it crosses a line. And when people get angry, or distressed, they can cross that line in extremely cruel and vicious ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
That's only more of a reason to have more moderation in RSP, though, because without it people feel they have the freedom to say whatever they want, even if it crosses a line. And when people get angry, or distressed, they can cross that line in extremely cruel and vicious ways.

If only there were a way to allow users to self-moderate -- I mean, what if you could actually BLOCK another user that you find offensive.

Maybe I'll suggest that as an option. I'm surprised no one has thought of this before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
cbazler wrote:

If only there were a way to allow users to self-moderate -- I mean, what if you could actually BLOCK another user that you find offensive.

Maybe I'll suggest that as an option. I'm surprised no one has thought of this before.

In the case of she2, she couldn't block the person stalking her via geekmail because her stalker kept making new accounts.

But even with the "Block user" option, you still often have to read their quoted content, and let's be honest: if someone really wants to continuously go after you in RSP, they can, and you will find it very hard to ignore or avoid them.

I understand if moderating such a volatile place is too much work for MMM, but I'm happy he's making an attempt to clean it up.

EDIT: Or, by "Block" a user, do you mean actually render their posts invisible (and not just collapsed)? I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic (too much time in RSP he he). If you were serious, that is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Lemur wrote:
cbazler wrote:

In the case of she2, she couldn't block the person stalking her via geekmail because her stalker kept making new accounts.

But even with the "Block user" option, you still often have to read their quoted content, and let's be honest: if someone really wants to continuously go after you in RSP, they can, and you will find it very hard to ignore or avoid them.

Well - geekmail ain't RSP. And, "stalking" starts to infringe on criminal activity. I agree BGG has a reason to step in (and, it's even semi-self-protection).

In so far, as finding it hard to ignore or avoid people, I guess I'm in the minority. I don't terribly concern myself with the opinions (or behavior) of people I don't really know, and almost certainly will never meet in real life. I don't really go to RSP anymore; but only because I cut down most of my posting on BGG (and removing a lot of it, in addition). I've certainly been the "target" of people here on BGG though, in other arenas; and had some amazingly offensive things said to me. For the most part, I just chuckle.

cbazler wrote:
EDIT: Or, by "Block" a user, do you mean actually render their posts invisible (and not just collapsed)? I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic (too much time in RSP he he). If you were serious, that is a good idea.

No - I was being sarcastic. I don't think there's any way to write the software to enable that (and I don't want them diverting resources from continuing to make the rest of the site unusable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Lemur wrote:
cbazler wrote:

No - I was being sarcastic. I don't think there's any way to write the software to enable that (and I don't want them diverting resources from continuing to make the rest of the site unusable).

There is a way, and it is perfectly simple. It involves checking each post against a user's block list (for quoted user-names), and collapsing every post (by adding the standard collapse-post html function line and activating it) that contains a quote where the original would be blocked.

If I knew how to compose this in a grease-monkey script I would have done it myself months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
So...

When do we start hearing the clamouring for the deletion of the Village Square? You know, the other place outright RSP posts are permitted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
For years I've been baffled by the attraction of RSP for so many people. I occasionally hear rumors that there is interesting stimulating intelligent religious/political discussion in RSP, but every time I look there (once every month or two), invariably the threads I see are mostly people angrily contemptuously calling each other stuff like "pathetic cunt" and "libtard" etc.

It's true that recently (and by recently I mean about the time that moderation was shut off several years ago) the quality of RSP has declined.

But in general, there can still be value there. Not for everyone to be sure, but some people just like talking about this stuff.

Why do it on a boardgaming website? I don't know. Good question. Historical contingency perhaps? This is the site I was on when I started following these types of topics.

I still lurk in RSP mainly to participate in the occasional science thread. And to understand what and how the other side thinks in politics.

This article on the nature of time is perhaps the favorite thing I've posted on BGG and gives an indication of the value of the forum to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.