Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
This article on the nature of time is perhaps the favorite thing I've posted on BGG and gives an indication of the value of the forum to me.

Nice one indeed.
(Though I can't help but note that it seems unrelated to religion, sex, or politics!)

Interesting to see that even in those Good Old Days, jocularly saying stuff like "You can go to hell, bite me, and eat a bag of dicks." was apparently a normal unremarkable part of the style of dialog. I confess I'm glad the rest of BGG isn't that way.

===

Tangentially I see evidence of how many RSP users apparently delete their accounts and all their content in a huff: the last two pages (4 & 5) of the thread are empty of comments!

(Which always seemed a strange obvious bug in BGG's forums: why continue to show those pages if they have no comments? Is it OK to complain about that here?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Nice one indeed.
(Though I can't help but note that it seems unrelated to religion, sex, or politics!)

I always thought it was Religion Science and Politics. ninja

Quote:
Interesting to see that even in those Good Old Days, jocularly saying stuff like "You can go to hell, bite me, and eat a bag of dicks." was apparently a normal unremarkable part of the style of dialog. I confess I'm glad the rest of BGG isn't that way.

Yeah, this kind of stuff is always going to be a matter of taste. As long as it's jocular it doesn't bother me too much. I am all in favor of strong moderation when it's not though. Including for passive aggressive group labels where you avoid calling a specific person a name and instead insult a group which you believe they are associated with. I'd ban that too.

Quote:
Tangentially I see evidence of how many RSP users apparently delete their accounts and all their content in a huff: the last two pages (4 & 5) of the thread are empty of comments!

Yeah, that's a valid point. I have no explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not the only "hobby" website I have been to that has an RSP equivalent. For the benefit of all you young'uns who weren't here back in the early days of the internet, religion & politics would show up on just about any website that had a message forum. Providing a designated subforum for it is similar to giving smokers a smoking section. If you make it illegal, they are going keep sneaking it in. If you give them a corner to stand in where it is legal, they (generally) follow the rule. Given how long BGG has been on the web, RSP likely started during the era of the internet when this really was the best solution for dealing with religious troublemakers. Whether you think RSP is appropriate for BGG or not, it most likely is still the best policy today.

My only issue for which I can see a potential complaint is that Octavian uses the word "toxic" a lot but doesn't actually define it anywhere. It, honestly, is not clear to me what he is attempting to censor or control. But since I stay out of RSP (save one thread I am subbed to) I really don't much care what happens over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
But since I stay out of RSP (save one thread I am subbed to) I really don't much care what happens over there.
It's this one, right? It's gotta be that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
russ wrote:

Maybe those aren't deleted posts, maybe THOSE ARE POSTS FROM THE FUTURE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
russ wrote:

Maybe those aren't deleted posts, maybe THOSE ARE POSTS FROM THE FUTURE.

Those were, as far as I can tell, all BJ.

The Drinking thread lost 45 pages when he left. The RSP games thread lost something like 12 pages. He was quite a prolific poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few thoughts.

It would help if RSP was specifically described as a flame forum, not just unmoderated. As that seems to be what it is.

I have an interest in religon, sex and indeed politics. I haven't posted in RSP for years because I can't be bothered sifting through the flames to get to the discussions. (And realistically, there are other places I can debate and discuss any of those subjects online).

Leaving aside the stalking issue (which obviously needs coming down on heavily), I don't mind RSP being there for those that want to use it. What does annoy me is Octavian's insistence on shifting contentious boardgame related threads (sexism in gaming, slavery in Puerto Rico) etc. down there. Those should be perfectly acceptable to discuss in the general forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Few thoughts.

It would help if RSP was specifically described as a flame forum, not just unmoderated. As that seems to be what it is.

I have an interest in religon, sex and indeed politics. I haven't posted in RSP for years because I can't be bothered sifting through the flames to get to the discussions. (And realistically, there are other places I can debate and discuss any of those subjects online).

Leaving aside the stalking issue (which obviously needs coming down on heavily), I don't mind RSP being there for those that want to use it. What does annoy me is Octavian's insistence on shifting contentious boardgame related threads (sexism in gaming, slavery in Puerto Rico) etc. down there. Those should be perfectly acceptable to discuss in the general forum.

Moderation is back! A lot of toxic people have been banned or stopped posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Moderation is back! A lot of toxic people have been banned or stopped posting.

The regulars in the cooking and knitting guilds should brace themselves for the next crackdown. Lord knows we read reports of those rapscallions' delinquent behavior far too often here in the complaints department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another perspective: If you want to discuss topics that people get contentious or cantankerous about, it is easier to discuss those topics with people with whom you have a different shared value set.

I care about games way more than I care about politics, so it's easier to talk about politics with gamers without getting mad -- because at the end of the day, I can play board games w/ people I politely disagree with, and notice our shared humanity in spite of our disagreements.

This is very helpful and helps me resolve my political disagreements with my family, as well as helped me talk to them in a rational manner even when they disagree politically with me in a way that upsets me. (Politics involve personal stakes for us all, etc.) It helps me keep a cool head while discussing things I am passionate about.

I also talk to gamers about RSP topics because I'm very interested in how games handle RSP topics! It's a good way to look at various perspectives. (That doesn't come up that much, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lack of anonymity also helps. Geekmail me to join Facebook RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
The collection of users that are in RSP are no more experts on religion, sex or politics than Jim Bob on the street.

You are incorrect about this particular point.

Certainly not everyone is, but there are plenty of experts in all three areas. And the *average* level of knowledge of all three in RSP is certainly higher than that among gamers in general, much less the general populace.

From what I've seen there, I'd bet on the general populace.

Pete (thinks at least they're more likely to be civil)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.