GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,017 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Passing the time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Weber
msg tools
badge
Let's Go BLues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started reading the rule book as a way to pass the time waiting for this game. It has proven to be an enjoyable read so far. It could be that I am familiar with some of the geplay already or I have just been drinking a lot of kool-aid. Really I just think it's well written and the game feels exciting just from going over the rules. I am glad too because I had been considering buying another game as I wait, but I know that game will be shelved as soon as this one arrives. I have also been working on a magnetic map for the game and will post pictures when finished. What is everyone else doing to pass the time, now that the boat has made it to harbor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules a while ago but I'm not going to read them again until delivery is imminent, because I know for a fact I would have to read them a third time otherwise

My gaming group has been playing Myth regularly lately because we know for a fact it won't see any table time once Gloomhaven arrives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything after the Myth v1.0 rules debacle feels well written to me, but they really, really are well constructed rules. And even if they weren't Paul's instructional videos are nearly all you need besides some minutia. The reference in the back is nearly 100% everything I want on a rules reference too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
Everything after the Myth v1.0 rules debacle feels well written to me, but they really, really are well constructed rules. And even if they weren't Paul's instructional videos are nearly all you need besides some minutia. The reference in the back is nearly 100% everything I want on a rules reference too.

Yeah, the original Myth rules were apalling, but we got past that now. Personally I like a lot about Myth, but my preferences don't run to horde games. My gaming buddies are enjoying the game and I'm enjoying that they're enjoying it. But Gloomhaven is pretty much the game that I would have designed for myself, a major upgrade in all respects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm throwing down an epic space opera next weekend with seven friends!

We're having a massive, long ass, EIGHT player game of Twilight Imperium III!

Should be a smashing good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
ReinhartTR wrote:

Yeah, the original Myth rules were apalling, but we got past that now. Personally I like a lot about Myth, but my preferences don't run to horde games. My gaming buddies are enjoying the game and I'm enjoying that they're enjoying it. But Gloomhaven is pretty much the game that I would have designed for myself, a major upgrade in all respects.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it just felt so messy and was exhausting to run. I used to DM an RPG ruleset I made myself when I was a teenager called Steam & Magic and I have the gift of the gab so my friends insisted I run a campaign on the fly (the whole 'mythological storytelling' shtick the game seems to intend you to do) and it was really, really fun for them but I just wanted to enjoy the system, which is fantastic. Gloomhaven allows me to do that while exploring a fleshed out world and story, much more my speed. I won't say "I'm getting old", but I don't have the endurance to do full blown role playing anymore, or the hybrid experience my friends wanted me to recreate with Myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
philmcd wrote:
ReinhartTR wrote:

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it just felt so messy and was exhausting to run. I used to DM an RPG ruleset I made myself when I was a teenager called Steam & Magic and I have the gift of the gab so my friends insisted I run a campaign on the fly (the whole 'mythological storytelling' shtick the game seems to intend you to do) and it was really, really fun for them but I just wanted to enjoy the system, which is fantastic. Gloomhaven allows me to do that while exploring a fleshed out world and story, much more my speed. I won't say "I'm getting old", but I don't have the endurance to do full blown role playing anymore, or the hybrid experience my friends wanted me to recreate with Myth.

I first played AD&D in 1979, but sadly haven't played any form of D&D for 35 years. I wish I could go back and recapture the amazing buzz of playing it for the first time. I would say that the experience is only as good as the DM and we were very lucky to have a brilliant one.

No boardgame has ever come close to recapturing that experience for me. The best so far would be Descent first edition with the Road to legend campaign expansion.

But I keep hoping to find 'the one', and maybe, just maybe, Gloomhaven is it. Let's just say I'm optimistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.