GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Barcelona: The Rose of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Labor Strike card in case of tie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into a situation today where I was not sure how to handle the tie. From the rules:

Quote:
General rule for breaking ties
Whenever two or more players have tied in any situation (e.g. when deciding who has the most in order to assign popularity cards, the “Labor strike” card, etc.), check the player’s position on the Auca. The player with the most prestige wins the tie.
If players are still tied, the tie is broken based on the turn-taking order. The first player wins ties over those to his left, and then each successive player over those to his left.

In case of the Labor Strike card: Does the player who wins the tie (e.g. sitting nearer to the starting player while having the same amount of prestige) get the card or who lost the tie?

Seems to be a total awkward question but we sat with four people in front of this and were puzzled. Any hint here would be welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of a tied prestige, the player who is closer to the start player would receive it. Although it is a punishment, it seems to be consistent with the rule for breaking ties.

We had the situation where the player highest on the prestige won the strike card (three way tie for most striking workers) and thought it unfair she had "won" the tie. But then again, a player with high prestige should be punished by society for encouraging discord despite their high standing in society!

My question is also about breaking ties - seems to be a common issue.

Q: When placing an Obelisk and adding up status points, if the highest status points are tied between two or more players does: no-one get the bonus +1 prestige point for highest sum, do both players get it, or is it broken by tie breaker?

We thought the rule for tie breakers always apply - but there are other situations where the tie breaker rule does not apply - for prestige awards, for example. If neither player has either highest or lowest prestige, they are awarded two prestige points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding of the rules, the prestige awards are the only exception to that rule as it is here explicitely stated in the rules. Nowhere else this exception is made otherwise, so I would take the "General rule for breaking ties" as granted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unittype wrote:
From my understanding of the rules, the prestige awards are the only exception to that rule as it is here explicitely stated in the rules. Nowhere else this exception is made otherwise, so I would take the "General rule for breaking ties" as granted.

It just seems a bit strange that you break ties and receive an additional prestige point for already being ahead...in prestige points. If you were awarded VP, that'd be fine, but it seems difficult enough to catch leaders in prestige without giving them additional points.

Having said that, in the one game I played one player had -1 prestige and the second player had +15, and they tied for the win. (Of course, the player with higher prestige won!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.