GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Scythe: Invaders from Afar» Forums » News

Subject: The Fix for Broken Albion Mechs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several threads about Albion (green) mechs arriving with broken sprongs. I've described the situation and the solutions in those posts, but I received some good news today, so I thought I'd put everything in one post.

When Panda originally send me the advance copies of Invaders from Afar, I noticed that nearly all of the mechs had popped out of the insert during the journey from China to St. Louis. I was concerned about the presentation (not the durability, as they were all in good shape--minis shouldn't break even if they get shaken up). I perceived the problem to be that there was extra room in the box, allowing the top of the insert to come loose, giving the mechs room to float around inside the insert. So I asked to Panda to tape the insert shut. They also offered the idea of creating an inner cap to hold down the mechs, but I taped an insert shut and gave it a good shake. It held up just fine. The inner cap was not expensive, but I don't like waste, and I didn't want to produce something that was unnecessary.

Panda proceeded to make the first print run of Invaders (20,000 copies). When people started opening them, we got a wave of replacement parts requests for broken Albion mechs. Not only were they coming loose, but two of the sprongs were breaking.

As far as I can tell, this happened to only a small percentage of expansions. Or maybe many people just didn't care, as it's a pretty small part of the mechs. But we got enough requests--and some comments on BGG and Facebook--to indicate it was a problem.

So I told Panda to proceed to add the inner cap (their original suggestion) along with the tape on the outside. They added this component to the second print run, which just arrived at our warehouse a few days ago. I opened one of the new copies, and I thought I'd share with you what the inner cap looks like (Panda did a great job with it):

A few things to note:

--The insert works fine for regular use without the cap. That is, I expect that many people will throw it away. In those regards, you don't need to try to buy a second print run copy if a first print run copy of the expansion is available. They're exactly the same other than this cap, and on the outside, the printings are indistinguishable.

--If your Albion mech breaks or arrives broken, I would first suggest that you simply glue the piece back on. If that doesn't work (or if you simply don't want to), please fill out our replacement parts form and we'll take care of you: http://stonemaiergames.com/replacement-parts/

--Panda also made a change to the mould of the Albion mechs for future printing to prevent the sprongs from breaking even if the mechs somehow come loose. As I noted, they shouldn't have broken in the first place.

I think that's it! I just wanted to let you know the full story of these mechs and the insert. If you have any questions, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. This is what I like, we report a problem, you sort it out in the short term (replacement minis) and then devise a long term solution for future adopters. We can't ask for any more than that.

Good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, Brian! I agree--it's thanks to people sharing it that we learned about the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again Jamey, you're transparency is insightful and reassuring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
--If your Albion mech breaks or arrives broken, I would first suggest that you simply glue the piece back on.

This is what I did. A drop of super glue and you can't even tell which antennas were ever broken. Requesting a full replacement figure because of a broken (tiny) antenna that is easily fixable just seemed entirely wasteful and unnecessary.

Kudos to you, Jamie, for doing everything you can to satisfy your customers thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, a few of mine were broken, but i didn't feel the need to mak a fuss about it. They just look rougher and beat up. It makes sense seeing as it's post war. Also, gives them a bit of character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto to the above - I still haven't gotten around to gluing mine back together and I may not; it kind of adds character and story, and I don't need extra mechs sent to me as that seems wasteful. I am just happy that reporting my experience may have helped to improve what is already an amazing product. I appreciate Jamey's transparency, as always, and feel that much more content with my product as a result, broken or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Kerr
Canada
flag msg tools
I actually like the look of the insert and feel like I would keep one once it arrived. I like everything fitting nice and snug so this is a great idea for me (and definately not a piece tgat will be simply discarded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard vd Watt
Canada
Lethbridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
Yeah, a few of mine were broken, but i didn't feel the need to mak a fuss about it. They just look rougher and beat up. It makes sense seeing as it's post war. Also, gives them a bit of character.

This makes so much thematic sense, I might just rough up a couple of the all the factions' mechs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.