GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,183 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Worth buying for Solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Petersen
msg tools
So I have read that it is possible but not ideal to play this game solo. It looks incredibly interesting to me but I have no one to play this with and it will only be played solo. So my question is is it worth playing solo for the story and puzzles or should I just not play it at all and spend money on another game better suited to solo play. In other words, is it so poor for solo play that if that's my only option I Might as well not play it at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it 2p with my daughter, each controlling two characters. That's easy enough, so I don't think controlling three would be too hard. If you really don't have others to play it with, then yeah, it's probably worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, part of the fun is the dialogue with other players -- speculating on theories, discussing strategies, etc.

With that said, it's such a unique and interesting game that I think it's worth your time to try it in solo mode. If that doesn't work out, you shouldn't have difficulty re-selling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
So while I was waiting for response I looked at the game groups section for my area and it turns out there's a game club that meets every Sunday about 20 minutes from my house lol guess I will get it after all and bring it down there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check meetup.com, too. YMMV, but there are quite a bit of boardgame meetups on that site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
https://www.facebook.com/WAGSgames/?fref=ts

This one looks promising and its right down the street from me pretty much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly suggest playing with others... I mean, you could solo it, but the interaction and banter on what actions to take is really where the game pays off.

In a nutshell, if you're just looking for a solo play game, there are more at that price point that will provide a longer life, and probably a better solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend playing it 4-player but I wouldn't suggest not getting it for solitaire play. The problem I had was getting the same people to commit to playing every run. I didn't want to bring in a new player who had missed previous runs or had missed previous scenarios altogether. Because of this problem, I still have 2 unplayed expansions. I'm hoping this will change soon as I've finally found gamers in my area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through PoD solo, and am glad I bought it (and will continue to do so). I understand the sentiment that it's better with a group, but that wasn't really an option for me and have still enjoyed the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
Worth it buying, but playit it with someone. As you whtrote, you found the group, so try it with them. You will love it for sure! Then try some fans expansions too, they are great"! I recommend switching gears.

bey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to try a game group, ask if anyone already has it. Help them get their copy to the table should be the first option. If it goes well offer to buy the next scenario they don't have, or make some other arrangement.

You will want the same group of people to go all the way through the adventure, so make sure you have a commitment from all players before starting.

I would not buy it to play solo. But, if that was the only play option, I would borrow it (or rent it, or buy it used) to play solo. You will get some value out of it, but not full value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Misterpetersen wrote:
is it so poor for solo play that if that's my only option I Might as well not play it at all?

I would almost prefer watching a you tube play through of this game rather than doing it solo. You'll get pretty much same experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jobs
msg tools
I'd say not. If you want a really good solo game, I'd say Mage Knight. This game is all about cooperation and thinking together. It seems to be the most balanced for 3 players, also played decently with 2 or 4. Playing alone would be quite boring, imo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I'll preface this with the fact that I love solo board games. I make purchasing decisions, in part, based on how much fun I think I can have with a game solo. I look for solo variants to games that don't start with solo rules.

With that said, I really wouldn't play this solo. I really enjoy the game and it is one of my favorites, but without other people to discuss with, I just don't think it would have the same "oomph" that the game otherwise has. Blaming people for bad decisions, celebrating good ones, all of that gets lost. In addition the game has a specific mechanic that prevents literally reading information to other players so you have to summarize what you see/read. That interaction alone leads to interesting choices and often missing very important points because what one person thought was insignificant and forgot to mention turns out to be critical to solving some other problem down the road.

Hopefully the game group you are checking out works out, I'd definitely say buy this for sure if you can get at least one other person to play it with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.