Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I just saw this at my LFGS. And the box was a dramatic step down from other LCGs. Super flimsy cardboard, clearly meant to be thrown away as opposed to say the Star Wars Between the Shadows Expansion I just got which is a really nice box.

Is this how its going to be from now on? Provide your own boxes because FFG will not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, why would you keep the box? I think it's expected for a game like this that you'll find your own storage solution. Anyway, the cards themselves are wrapped very well in thick cardboard; they're protected nicely. The outer box is them finding a middle ground on having something that looks substantial on the shelf versus paying for extra materials that the vast majority of people will throw away. The cards could have fit in a box 1/4 the size, but at least there's room for the nice campaign guide, and if future cycles needs extra tokens or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Noordhoorn
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that when I picked up my copy as well. I was suprised since all my LOTR LCG deluxe expansions have come in real boxes but I haven't bought the latest one so maybe they're changing those as a cost-saving move as well? Not a huge deal for me since everything is getting stored together but I know some people feel differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its funny that you mention the Star Wars LCG, because I just picked up a few of the big box expansions. The first thing I did was take the cards out and put them in the core set box, tossing the expansion boxes into the recycling bin.

I think making the expansion boxes flimsier is better for everyone. Gives people less desire to keep them and just recycle the paper instead, and cuts down on all the costs related to shipping halfway around the world. I just wish the core sets of the newer games used the full core set size of Netrunner / Star Wars. They are the only ones that need to be substantial. At least those boxes could hold a few cycles before being obsolete and require some kind of long term replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Eyefink wrote:
Honestly, why would you keep the box? I think it's expected for a game like this that you'll find your own storage solution. Anyway, the cards themselves are wrapped very well in thick cardboard; they're protected nicely. The outer box is them finding a middle ground on having something that looks substantial on the shelf versus paying for extra materials that the vast majority of people will throw away. The cards could have fit in a box 1/4 the size, but at least there's room for the nice campaign guide, and if future cycles needs extra tokens or something.

Its not like Star Wars or the ilk where you need all the cards for deckbuilding. A good storage solution would be to keep the entire cycle cards in each deluxe box.

I don't want to provide my own storage solution. It isn't too much to ask to have board games provide their own way to store themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
supermarino wrote:
Its funny that you mention the Star Wars LCG, because I just picked up a few of the big box expansions. The first thing I did was take the cards out and put them in the core set box, tossing the expansion boxes into the recycling bin.

I think making the expansion boxes flimsier is better for everyone. Gives people less desire to keep them and just recycle the paper instead, and cuts down on all the costs related to shipping halfway around the world. I just wish the core sets of the newer games used the full core set size of Netrunner / Star Wars. They are the only ones that need to be substantial. At least those boxes could hold a few cycles before being obsolete and require some kind of long term replacement.

The core set box of Arkham is way smaller than the one in Star Wars. You will not be able to store the cards in the base box. There is literally no solution provided, good or not good. So you get to recycle the flimsy box and buy a different storage system instead. Don't see how this is environmentally better. Also, now you have a shitty cardboard box with all your cards instead of the pretty box with the nice art matching the game (Unless you do some DIY printing stickers or something, but that is way too much work)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
Its not like Star Wars or the ilk where you need all the cards for deckbuilding. A good storage solution would be to keep the entire cycle cards in each deluxe box.

No, but you do need most of them separate for deckbuilding. If you bag the individual monsters and scenario-specific cards and toss them in the core box, it should literally be years--as in a few complete cycles at least--before you run out of room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
supermarino wrote:

The core set box of Arkham is way smaller than the one in Star Wars. You will not be able to store the cards in the base box. There is literally no solution provided, good or not good. So you get to recycle the flimsy box and buy a different storage system instead. Don't see how this is environmentally better. Also, now you have a shitty cardboard box with all your cards instead of the pretty box with the nice art matching the game (Unless you do some DIY printing stickers or something, but that is way too much work)

You don't need to get any new storage. I'm linking something just for math, not suggesting you buy it:
http://go7gaming.com/product/lgc-003-v2-insert/

This insert literally just makes two columns you stand cards up in and can hold a total of 1600 cards. That equates to 2 ENTIRE Core Sets, 2 Deluxe Boxes, and 12 Mythos Packs. If you take out the cards from the core set you don't need from a second core set, you could put the 2 stand alone packs in their place. It will also hold all the tokens, and the books are laid atop.

You could take the insert that comes in a single core set, cut it into two long pieces, glue it in place of the box, and have your own box that will last quite a while. The only issue is the lid doesn't close completely. This will work until about March 2018, assuming you buy all content. At that point, you do the same with your second core set box and you're set until July 2019, give or take the release of standalone scenarios.

I'm not agreeing that this situation is perfect, in fact my initial response said that I wish the new core sets came in the old core set sizes. Yet there are creative options that don't involve cost (aside from some glue, scissors, and time) and you still have the nice box art.

The part about environmentally friendly is more about the fact that FFG can have 3 expansions shipped now in the physical space that used to be required for 2 (completely made that ratio up, it's probably not quite as high - I don't have the two boxes to compare sizes). Not a big deal, but when you multiply that by thousands, and the impact of shipping on the environment, it helps. Cheaper paper is also better for the environment, and costs less is resources to create. Not trying to get on the environmental tangent at all, but I hope you can at least respect that this is beneficial for the earth (cause it certainly isn't beneficial for us, FFG still charges the same for these expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I didn't toss my 2nd core box. It will help with storage for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
I just saw this at my LFGS. And the box was a dramatic step down from other LCGs. Super flimsy cardboard, clearly meant to be thrown away as opposed to say the Star Wars Between the Shadows Expansion I just got which is a really nice box.

Is this how its going to be from now on? Provide your own boxes because FFG will not?

Ugh, yeah I noticed this too and was super screwed by it. My first core box was already full BEFORE I got the deluxe expansion. I used the insert from broken token and FFG sleeves. There is no space left in there for the new content. By the time I get everything for this first expansion set (1 deluxe, 6 adventure packs, and assorted stand-alones), my second core box will also be full. I've NEVER had to use a separate storage solution for my games and I greatly dislike to because it causes more problems than it solves. I use the boxes to determine what is in there. Also a blank box is super unattractive and most of the ones I've seen wont fit properly on my shelves. 100% positive none of my friends would pick it to play because they already ignore other games that were forced to be repackaged.

I was hoping the expansions would come in the same sized box as the core set since it was so small to begin with. Now I'm going to have to switch inserts which means I wasted $30 on the one I have and eventually buy a themeless blank box (which is usually big $$) soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Honestly, why would you keep the box? ...

I keep all the decks and rules and campaign logs for the scenarios/campaigns I am not playing in a second box (my primary box has what I need to play for the scenario/campaign I am planning on playing next).

I was hoping to switch to the Dunwich box for the inactive scenarios/campaigns so I could tell at a glance which box it is without having to put a label on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I use a gaming card shoe box to store all my cards. It's not attractive, but it lets me sleep nights. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
I keep all the decks and rules and campaign logs for the scenarios/campaigns I am not playing in a second box (my primary box has what I need to play for the scenario/campaign I am planning on playing next).

I was hoping to switch to the Dunwich box for the inactive scenarios/campaigns so I could tell at a glance which box it is without having to put a label on it.

That's fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ginismycat wrote:
I noticed that when I picked up my copy as well. I was suprised since all my LOTR LCG deluxe expansions have come in real boxes but I haven't bought the latest one so maybe they're changing those as a cost-saving move as well? Not a huge deal for me since everything is getting stored together but I know some people feel differently.

If they do this for LOTR, with the many years of beautiful Deluxe and Saga boxes I lovingly have displayed on my bookcase, I might go insane with fury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
smallville247 wrote:
I might go insane with fury.

How so very thematic. Sounds like that's why they're doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was extremely disappointed in the quality of this expansion box. Considering that the core box was already too small, we can't use it to store our game. I was expecting to use this expansion box to store some cards, guess I will not.

asmodee is striking again. Cheaping out on the box, but obviously not passing the saving to their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guibs wrote:
Was extremely disappointed in the quality of this expansion box. Considering that the core box was already too small, we can't use it to store our game. I was expecting to use this expansion box to store some cards, guess I will not.

asmodee is striking again. Cheaping out on the box, but obviously not passing the saving to their customers.

So marches on the effects of the great Asmodee take over ...increasingly poor quality products to maximise profitability ...it will not end here...

I checked the go7 gaming storage solution and it looks good ...but 52$ chepeast shipping to France for a flat pack small set of MDF and Plastic is way too much sadly ...

Much cheaper solutions available on Amazon ...but not as innovative :-(

Ric

Edited many times due to my two finger typing incompetence ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get one of these: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-card-shoe-box

Super cheap, will store all the cards for years. Once it fills up, get a second one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:

Super cheap, will store all the cards for years. Once it fills up, get a second one.

I love the 3.85$ for the box and the 28$ for shipping to Canada.

Passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cfmcdonald wrote:

Somehow, that doesn't look particularly appealing on my shelf. I like the pretty boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
The shoe box (super cheap on Ebay) is all I would ever use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as another vote in favor of this new packaging. I don't need a wasteful, heavy box for every expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess the alternative would be to find a way to salvage the pretty artwork from the box, transplant it to something or frame it and dump the rest of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
Dormammu wrote:
Count me as another vote in favor of this new packaging. I don't need a wasteful, heavy box for every expansion.

My thoughts too, though I get why people would like a sturdier box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guibs wrote:
cfmcdonald wrote:

I love the 3.85$ for the box and the 28$ for shipping to Canada.

Passing.

I would guess someone in Canada sells them. I got mine from CSI, $3 and free shipping as part of a larger order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.