Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many, many games that have multiple paths to victory. After you have found one that works for you, do you still experiment with new strategies, or do you stick with the one you've had success with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I try new strategies.

If you are playing competent players, they will eventually learn to break your winning strategy. You have to keep your opponents on your toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, in fact if I find one that works for me most the time, I don't use it any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Oh yes, in fact if I find one that works for me most the time, I don't use it any more.

This. If I end up repeating strategies in a game I quickly become bored. I frequently pick theme or sub optimal strageties on purpose to try to make them work. There's a lot more enjoyment there for me than just retreading what works.

This is especially acute in LCGs, deckbuilding, and X-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploring new strategies is basically the entire point of playing games for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I play to immerse myself in the theme and explore the game's world, so yes, I try many different strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When I played white in chess tournaments, I'd always play queen's gambit. I found it was obscure enough to throw even the best prepared, and sometimes a novice will accept (capture the pawn) rather than decline (leave the pawn, play for position) and that's a known mistake. Because I always played it, I felt I had a slight advantage in the midgame.

But in any other game played for fun, playing all different ways is the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

When I played white in chess tournaments, I'd always play queen's gambit. I found it was obscure enough to throw even the best prepared, and sometimes a novice will accept (capture the pawn) rather than decline (leave the pawn, play for position) and that's a known mistake. Because I always played it, I felt I had a slight advantage in the midgame.

The queen's gambit threw off even the best prepared? I find that hard to believe as it is the most common queens pawn opening. If you play a class C or above player, the queen's gambit should be familiar territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you do the same strategy over and over? How boring. I like to try different strategies all the time. The same with women. Wait, is there a chance my wife reads this?!? Uh oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Why would you do the same strategy over and over? How boring. I like to try different strategies all the time. The same with women. Wait, is there a chance my wife reads this?!? Uh oh.

No worries, she think the same way. Trust me. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
skutsch wrote:

No worries, she think the same way. Trust me. devil

Wait, what?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might stick with it if it's working and the game allows me to use that every time - with many games you can't do that due to random setup, card draw or whatever. Or I might try something else. It depends on what I think is most likely to win me the game. I'd rather play different strategies so sometimes I might play something different even if I suspect it's not really the best plan. If I'm always doing the same thing in a game I'll probably want to play something else instead. Competent opponents and games which force you to adapt from one game to the next avoid getting into a rut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like to mix things up. Trying new things, new characters, new strategies. My girlfriend seems to be the opposite, finding what she likes and sticking to it. Which makes certain games problematic without a healthy dollop of randomness in there. She grew quickly bored of Caverna, for example, so I'll take my new strategies to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
professorguy wrote:

The queen's gambit threw off even the best prepared? I find that hard to believe as it is the most common queens pawn opening. If you play a class C or above player, the queen's gambit should be familiar territory.

And there's nothing wrong about accepting the pawn. I've been successful with an obscure Slav variant where I defend the pawn and eventually give up the center in exchange for two connected passed pawns. Dangerous but fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have certain favorite strategies for most games, but I do try new strategies often. I typically don't like direct conflict, so I tend to gravitate toward whatever indirect route I can take. That being the case, I enjoy games less when certain strategies are used versus others, but I've got to keep my husband on his toes, so I change things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me trying new strategies is the biggest reason I lose so much.

Or so I like to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Van Reeth
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Not a hungry hippo.
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
Me trying new strategies is the biggest reason I lose so much.

Or so I like to think.

I feel your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like games that force you to vary your strategies each turn with some kind of variable setup. That way it forces my opponents to try new strategies who might not be as inclined to try something new as I am. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to balance winning and trying new things. It helps if I'm new to a game, any strategy is new (although at the tradeoff of not likely not knowing any good/solid strategies to begin with). If I suspect I'm going to lose anyways, I may as well have more fun and try out new strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I play games three times before I get a clear strategy. I takes a couple of games for me to get into the flow. After I have mastered a strategy then I try something different when forced to change due to opponents' tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this strategy thing? I just go with the flow. No clue what I'm doing until I figure out what everyone else is doing and what I've been delt, either literally or metaphorically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like when a game presents new situations on each play, and it is up to me to decide which of the strategic paths will be most effective to pursue. I am not a fan of games where every strategic path is equally viable every game and I just have to choose what I "feel like doing". It gets too sandbox-y to me, and loses the satisfaction of a puzzle to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll experiment for the sake of trying something new and exploring the possibility space. I especially love it when I can try something really wacky and do reasonably well. Can I get away with never playing a single brown or grey card in 7 Wonders? LET'S FIND OUT!

Taking risks is fun in games because the stakes are low and there's no negative consequence to losing. I'll take a risk on a big play or a goofy strat because either way that game is going to be memorable. I also have a high affinity for jank. In TCGs/LCGs, one of my favorite pastimes is trying to see if I can field a card or mechanic commonly thought to be crappy or useless and make it work, and I tend to avoid the "THIS CARD IS DABEST AUTOINCLUDE" cards.

What I like better than trying new strategies is games that force you to form strategies on-the-fly based on the opportunities it presents you with. There's a reason Race for the Galaxy is my favorite competitive game, it highly rewards both flexibility and if you go into it trying to pull off any particular strat it will grind you into dust. It's almost purely reactive. That kind of heavy constraint is even more interesting to me than an open board and multiple paths to navigate, as it leads you down strange roads with cobbled-together bridges that you would never get to see in a game that lets you decide what you want to do from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't try new strategies I tend to burn out on a game. If my competition isn't pushing me to try to strategies, I burn out even faster. Once I've discovered all the strategies that seem to work for me, I'm almost certainly done with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I try something different almost every time. I have more fun that way even if I lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.