Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » General

Subject: Armada dying a slow death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hooten
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I was selling my stuff off and apparently I am not alone as it seems every bidder has been quick to point out used Armada stuff doesn't sell for much anymore. Anyways I got what I wanted for it but just barely. Funny as when you go on the FFG site to see what is going on you see topic after topic about how well the game is going but I have not seen it on the ground. It's dead where I live. Have you seen anything? I know San Antonio has a huge group but I think even they are a bit disappointing in size.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing here. It just can't occupy the same space in our economic groups as X wing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
there are plenty of players here in Nova.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps players are disappointed with the dominance of squadrons? I know one of my friends quit because his capital ship lists I guess weren't working as well as he'd like...

I feel like Armada's always struggled in popularity in relation to X-Wing. But when you compare the two, Armada is the more expensive and deliberate of the two where X-Wing is more pick up 'n play. It's kind of like apples and oranges, in that both are round fruit that people eat (roll dice, miniatures and card play) but both have different experiences.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Perhaps players are disappointed with the dominance of squadrons? I know one of my friends quit because his capital ship lists I guess weren't working as well as he'd like...

I feel like Armada's always struggled in popularity in relation to X-Wing. But when you compare the two, Armada is the more expensive and deliberate of the two where X-Wing is more pick up 'n play. It's kind of like apples and oranges, in that both are round fruit that people eat (roll dice, miniatures and card play) but both have different experiences.


Well sure, if you're comparing the *games*, but I think it's relevant when you are comparing the audiences, because I can easily see the cannibilizing each other's players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I had been an X-Wing player, and never got into the Armada stuff (I did pick up the base set when Barnes and Noble had it on clearance), but had my observations about it.

I think the price for the base set was a big factor in the game's popularity. $99 is a lot of money to put into an initial investment of a game, especially when the base set of X-Wing is significantly lower ($30 for the core set).

The other big factor, I think, is that the Star Wars movies have never really been about capital ship battles. It has always been small ships and ground forces. Both of those experiences are covered by X-Wing and Imperial Assault. Capital ships did not even see combat until Return of the Jedi, and even then, the primary focus was on the small ship squads and the ground forces on Endor. I doubt there were many of us who left theaters saying, "I want to be Admiral Akbar!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The local Armada group here's really taking off, which is great. 2015 year was pretty slow, but we're seeing quite a few people picking it up lately, and about a 50/50 mix of new players and X-Wing converts.

Bummer it's not working out in your area.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at selling mine, playing Netrunner, and Imperial Assault, and Lord of the Rings, I couldn't justify the money on Armada when I never have the time to play it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually been getting a LOT more popular, here, with the Corellian Conflict campaign.

FWIW, I'd bought into Armada when it was coming out - sold it all off about a year ago. But got back into it in a big way with the Corellian Campaign (now have something like twice the collection I started with).

It's a total game-changer, and (IMHO), everyone should just forget about 'tournament Armada' any more, because that's stupid and the wrong way to play the game. For "competitive tournament play" I'm always going to point at X-Wing, but OH MY GODS is the Corellian Conflict awesome at changing up the game.

We've actually got 3 stores in our area running the full 6-players in a campaign, on a regular schedule - rounds every week or every other week. Totally amazing! (Also: a LOT easier to fit into the schedule every week to knock out a single ~3-ish-hour game...that is part of a bigger campaign...rather than trying to fit in three 2.5-ish-hour-games along with a half hour of setup between them...)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the saturation of minis games in general is cannabilising the entire market. After a year or so most sane people wake and see just how much s**t they've accumulated. I think the same can be said for board games as well. I've only been selling off my collection.

I enjoy Armada but only bought up to the IS and MC80 cycle as I don't play in tournaments. I am selling off IA and Armada will be the last significant FFG title in my collection along with Thrones BG and TI3. Long gone is my collection of abut 20 stand alone of their games in my collection at once. The company just keeps on recycling putting people off. You buy all this shit then the game is dead.

TBH all I really play now is Infinity. Another minis game lol, but this one is expanding more than anything in the industry because the game is just that great.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As you said, the price and the time needed to play are high.
Lots of players compare it to X-Wing, and just say "this is X-Wing in big scale", so they usually think that there are the same rules, the same interest in playing it. So, they do not want to get Armada, another expensive game with no difference, same universe, same gameplay.

That's what I noticed in my club, guys (and few X-Wing players) have a look on our table, and discover it's a totally different game. Most of them would like to try it, but they usually say "I have X-Wing, GuildBall, 40K (or other figs games), this game is another money trap! It's a nice game anyway".


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a different game than X-Wing, and as Xander says, the Corellian Conflict expansion has greatly changed Armada. It's the way it was meant to be played, and far more fun than tournaments in my opinion.

Building a starting fleet, tweaking and maintaining it over the course of a campaign and watching it grow is the best way to play Armada.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the price drops to $60-$70, I'd pick it up, and probably friends would too. Interested in playing but it seems over priced for what you get.

I'm surprised the first drug is that expensive. I figure the tactic would be to get lots of consumers in for cheap and then keep them addicted and buying expansions. This is how x-wing seems to work. I'm still buying expansions but hardly play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hooten
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks guys I like the comments. I was reading on the ffg forum similar threads and boy those might guys might as well be the devil himself. It was nasty. Yeah I have sold most of my ffg stuff off they seem more like card games than strategy games to me now. I am thinking about halo fleet battles now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
greyfox78659 wrote:
Thanks guys I like the comments. I was reading on the ffg forum similar threads and boy those might guys might as well be the devil himself. It was nasty. Yeah I have sold most of my ffg stuff off they seem more like card games than strategy games to me now. I am thinking about halo fleet battles now.


Damn... Scott... you're leaving the Rebellion?! soblue

As Xander and Craig C said, it seems that Armada was built to be played through the campaign. I didn't notice this idea but you're right!
I have just started to play the campaign, it's a very different way to play the game.
This is a welcome expansion (very expensive one... cheats of papers and few cards for almost 30€...), it gives diversity, and new awesome games! Anyway, I still like the way I played Armada before Corelian Conflict, you can make crazy fleets : 5 GSD, 4 VSD, an ISD escorted by several Arquitens...

Once you re in the game, you can't leave it! Scott... save the Rebellion... save the dream
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
greyfox78659 wrote:
I was selling my stuff off and apparently I am not alone as it seems every bidder has been quick to point out used Armada stuff doesn't sell for much anymore. Anyways I got what I wanted for it but just barely. Funny as when you go on the FFG site to see what is going on you see topic after topic about how well the game is going but I have not seen it on the ground. It's dead where I live. Have you seen anything? I know San Antonio has a huge group but I think even they are a bit disappointing in size.


Sounds about right since I'm finally getting into it. cry The gaming stores here in central Wisconsin don't carry Armada anymore. That should have been my first clue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hooten
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Armada taught a valuable lesson see if how many people in a 30 mile area plays it before you buy it. Yeah my local shop stop carrying it this week. Yet if you go 100 miles to the south it is on an even par with xwing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greyfox78659 wrote:
Armada taught a valuable lesson see if how many people in a 30 mile area plays it before you buy it. Yeah my local shop stop carrying it this week. Yet if you go 100 miles to the south it is on an even par with xwing.


I think that's a lot to do with how much support the store sees for it.

Try volunteering to host events at the store - the Corellian Conflict works GREAT for that, as it keeps people coming in regularly - and you'll see it do better.

I've often seen similar complaints with X-Wing (and other miniature games)...what it comes down to is that the stores that are successful with it are the stores that lucked into having someone volunteer (without compensation) to regularly host/run events for the game.

And that's not entirely a surprise, as when you can get these games ON THE TABLE in the stores...

 


...well, they basically sell themselves. cool
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a big scene in Lower mainland/Vancouver area BC. I just bought in 2-3 months ago and pretty much have 1x of everything.

I am in an CC campaign and it is a blast! We try and have a weekly game and over the weekend we talk strategy and plot our conquests! This weekend will be my first time trying a tournament but I definitely think campaign is the way to go.

I may be new and optimistic but I think there is more people joining, especially as over the holidays I think the core set was going for $39.99 or something SUPER cheap.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
It's actually been getting a LOT more popular, here, with the Corellian Conflict campaign.

FWIW, I'd bought into Armada when it was coming out - sold it all off about a year ago. But got back into it in a big way with the Corellian Campaign (now have something like twice the collection I started with).

It's a total game-changer, and (IMHO), everyone should just forget about 'tournament Armada' any more, because that's stupid and the wrong way to play the game. For "competitive tournament play" I'm always going to point at X-Wing, but OH MY GODS is the Corellian Conflict awesome at changing up the game.

We've actually got 3 stores in our area running the full 6-players in a campaign, on a regular schedule - rounds every week or every other week. Totally amazing! (Also: a LOT easier to fit into the schedule every week to knock out a single ~3-ish-hour game...that is part of a bigger campaign...rather than trying to fit in three 2.5-ish-hour-games along with a half hour of setup between them...)


That's great to hear. In Redmond, Washington we're kicking off a 4 person campaign Monday with another three players waiting in the wings.

Toward the of 2016 one store in Lynnwood was running a league and those guys are heading up for Regionals in BC this month. I think they plan to start at least one campaign later this month as well.

So, not quite dead yet in the greater Seattle area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the CC expansion will cause Armada to be larger than ever in 2017, and I can't wait.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
XanderF wrote:
It's actually been getting a LOT more popular, here, with the Corellian Conflict campaign.

FWIW, I'd bought into Armada when it was coming out - sold it all off about a year ago. But got back into it in a big way with the Corellian Campaign (now have something like twice the collection I started with).

It's a total game-changer, and (IMHO), everyone should just forget about 'tournament Armada' any more, because that's stupid and the wrong way to play the game. For "competitive tournament play" I'm always going to point at X-Wing, but OH MY GODS is the Corellian Conflict awesome at changing up the game.

We've actually got 3 stores in our area running the full 6-players in a campaign, on a regular schedule - rounds every week or every other week. Totally amazing! (Also: a LOT easier to fit into the schedule every week to knock out a single ~3-ish-hour game...that is part of a bigger campaign...rather than trying to fit in three 2.5-ish-hour-games along with a half hour of setup between them...)


That's great to hear. In Redmond, Washington we're kicking off a 4 person campaign Monday with another three players waiting in the wings.

Toward the of 2016 one store in Lynnwood was running a league and those guys are heading up for Regionals in BC this month. I think they plan to start at least one campaign later this month as well.

So, not quite dead yet in the greater Seattle area.


If you can work out a way for 2 of the players 'waiting' to be part of the campaign (maybe with the third as a step-in alternate for one of them, as needed?) - I'd recommend that.

The campaign feels like it is balanced around 3 matches per round (IE., two assaults and one defense for the team that is behind in points does a good job helping giving them a means to 'catch up'...with an even number of players, you lose that mechanic)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Eggert
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I held off getting into Armada until I heard that CC was coming. After seeing the preview copy at GenCon 2016, I started buying and playing the game. To me the head-to-head battles are fun but playing in a campaign sends it over the top.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kagesh wrote:
I have to say I held off getting into Armada until I heard that CC was coming. After seeing the preview copy at GenCon 2016, I started buying and playing the game. To me the head-to-head battles are fun but playing in a campaign sends it over the top.
I am so happy. I am about to begin the campaign in February.

Two Sundays a month till done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
I am constantly hearing about how the game is dead, but I'll bet it's outselling every other fleet-scale game on the market (Halo, Dropfleet, Firestorm Armada, and to a degree Dystopian Wars).

As of right now, every major online seller including Amazon is sold out of the Imperial Arquitens from Wave 5. So someone must be buying them.

I would expect only Dropfleet could match it as it gets past it's release drama, as basically all the other games in this genre are from Spartan Games, who historically never support games after they move on to the next big thing (in this case Halo Ground Battles). Plus, Halo Fleet Battles is damn expensive on it's own, too. Moreso than Firestorm Armada.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.