GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

David Pullman

California
msg tools
Hi all, I'm creating a game and working out some of the layouts for the instruction booklet and the cards. My instruction booklet and also some of the cards are very text heavy. I am working on editing this down to a minimum, but at the same time, I will still end up with a lot of words. I am wanting my cards and instruction booklet to be as small as possible, while still containing all of the words I need.

What do you all think is the smallest font size, using Times New Roman as a standard (probably won't be the font I use), that can be comfortably used for these purposes? I'm thinking either 8.5, 9, or 9.5. What do you think? The last thing I want to do is create a game and then find out that everyone thinks the writing is too small. My game has appeal to older people as well as younger.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are about as small as I would go unless you are excluding middle aged gamers. Way too many games out there with tiny fonts and poor contrast that make it hard to read

But, this is easy to empirically discover. Find a game you like and model different layouts of your cards on the computer with view zoom at 100% and do some side to side comparisons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dpullman wrote:
I am wanting my cards and instruction booklet to be as small as possible, while still containing all of the words I need.

"Concise, but complete, instructions are required."

Get someone else to edit your verbiage down. Your question could have been 2 lines; brevity is not your forte.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pullman

California
msg tools
LOL! You're so right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Leading, column length, line length, x-height, centred versus justified versus left aligned/ragged right, as well as font size all play a role in how readable a page (or card) of type is. Consider all of them. Send me a sample if you want and, as someone who started his design career of 25 years as a typography nut enthusiast, I'll send you some off-line feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pullman

California
msg tools
Thanks for that offer! What I have right now is a word document, which hasn't been formatted in any real way. It's a political game and my idea for the rulebook is to make it look like a Constitution type document. It's a lot of words. Like politics, it's complicated. I sent it to a friend to see if she could edit it down a bit. But, as it stands it's 5.5 pages, plus a 1 page "message from the game creator." It's quite different from the typical game (if there were such a thing). So, would it be worthwhile to send you the copy at this point, or should I wait til I have it pasted into the design of the booklet, which will be a few weeks? I'm trying to get all the pieces that are necessary to begin my kickstarter before working on things that can be done during or after the kickstarter campaign. As it is, I am copying and pasting your helpful comment into my game notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.