GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

In the process of designing the tiles for my redesign project, I discovered that the tile manifest at Chris Lawson's 18xx.net as well as the John David Galt mirror does not agree with the tile manifest included in the Deep Thought Games rulebook. The differences are noted below:

The Lawson/Galt Manifest includes 2 copies of Tile 4, the straight track with a town. The DTG Manifest does not include any of this tile.

The Deep Thought Games Manifest includes a single copy each of tiles 19 and 20. These are tiles where straight track intersects a gentle curve (tile 19) or another straight track (tile 20). The Lawson/Galt Manifest includes neither of these.

The Lawson/Galt Manifest also includes no indication of the beginner game tiles in the Deep Thought Manifest. All of these tiles are additional copies of track already in the tile set.

In all other ways, the manifests are in agreement.

The Lawson Manifest:
http://www.18xx.net/tiles/1889.htm

The Galt Mirror of the same
http://www.diogenes.sacramento.ca.us/18xx_net/tiles/1889.htm

These are pretty sizable differences, with pretty big implications on play. And I'm only accustomed to thinking of those databases as impeccably and dutifully maintained. So I'm curious:

Does anyone know where the Lawson/Galt list comes from? It feels too deliberate (particularly the absence of both 19 and 20) to be chalked up to typographical error. Was that the manifest in the Wild Heaven version, perhaps?

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light or offer any conjecture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. At first I thought it might be an issue of publication dates. The Deep Thought rules and manifest are dated 12 July 2006. However, the Lawson Manifest is dated 25 December 2007. Assuming those dates are correct/significant, I'm really not sure what the story is (but I'm curious).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch. And also, sad Christmas for Chris Lawson, manually entering tile counts into a database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I suspect that DTG did some development (as they often do) and that the tile-roster changes (and the additional beginner tiles set) emerged from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.